Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this wierd noise, which sounds like creaking, coming from the rear on both sides of my '21 Crosstrek. Whether it does it on both sides or just one of the sides depends on the road. I first noticed it when the temps started to get a bit cooler. It only seems to do it when driving over abrupt types of road irregularities, like speed bumps or hitting manholes not adjusted correctly to grade. Speed bumps it will make the noise on both sides....manholes just the side I'm driving over the manhole on. We have one intersection by us that has a pretty aggressive dip in the middle of it and it will do it over that as well when the suspension compresses.....on both sides. I never noticed it before it started to get cooler outside. I'm aware of the TSB on the rear emergency brake cable and have performed the grease and ziptie "fix". That did nothing. I just got in from spraying silicone grease on all the rear bushings and sway bar bushings. Doubt that will do anything, but won't hurt to try. Already removed spare tire, jack and all that....although I knew it wasn't that. Tried jumping up and down on the rear bumper to load/unload the suspension and I could not get it to make any noise. I suspect it's not abrupt enough movement.

Has anybody else heard such noises in cold weather? The car is mouse quiet outside of that occasional noise when driving over the right irregularities. I don't want to have the dealer mess with it quite yet. If it's just a bushing creak in colder weather I can live with it, but if it's an actual mechanical part that's failing that's different. I will probably wait till summer and see if the warm weather takes care of it.....or if it gets worse as time goes on. The closest dealer is also 45 minutes away.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Define "cold"...

Luke warm to you.....LOL

It was doing it today and it was 40°. I probably started noticing it around that 40° area.....don't know for sure though. All I know is it wasn't doing it in summer.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
2,192 Posts
Try spraying silicone up the struts and on the bushings.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
32 Posts
Yep same thing 21 limited. 23 degrees F yesterday. I was thinking it was the spare tire cover making the noise. I noticed it over sharp bumps. If there is a hatch latch I have not engaged it. I might start with eliminating that possibility with some cushioning.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep same thing 21 limited. 23 degrees F yesterday. I was thinking it was the spare tire cover making the noise. I noticed it over sharp bumps. If there is a hatch latch I have not engaged it. I might start with eliminating that possibility with some cushioning.
I don't think it's the rear hatch. It definately sounds suspension related to me. Keep me posted if you find out what it is and I'll do the same.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have this wierd noise, which sounds like creaking, coming from the rear on both sides of my '21 Crosstrek. Whether it does it on both sides or just one of the sides depends on the road. I first noticed it when the temps started to get a bit cooler. It only seems to do it when driving over abrupt types of road irregularities, like speed bumps or hitting manholes not adjusted correctly to grade. Speed bumps it will make the noise on both sides....manholes just the side I'm driving over the manhole on. We have one intersection by us that has a pretty aggressive dip in the middle of it and it will do it over that as well when the suspension compresses.....on both sides. I never noticed it before it started to get cooler outside. I'm aware of the TSB on the rear emergency brake cable and have performed the grease and ziptie "fix". That did nothing. I just got in from spraying silicone grease on all the rear bushings and sway bar bushings. Doubt that will do anything, but won't hurt to try. Already removed spare tire, jack and all that....although I knew it wasn't that. Tried jumping up and down on the rear bumper to load/unload the suspension and I could not get it to make any noise. I suspect it's not abrupt enough movement.

Has anybody else heard such noises in cold weather? The car is mouse quiet outside of that occasional noise when driving over the right irregularities. I don't want to have the dealer mess with it quite yet. If it's just a bushing creak in colder weather I can live with it, but if it's an actual mechanical part that's failing that's different. I will probably wait till summer and see if the warm weather takes care of it.....or if it gets worse as time goes on. The closest dealer is also 45 minutes away.
My guess is still dry sway bar bushing grease which the silicone spray wont fix, you need to open the fixture, clean and manually put chassis grease before putting back.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My guess is still dry sway bar bushing grease which the silicone spray wont fix, you need to open the fixture, clean and manually put chassis grease before putting back.
yeah, could be. I've had squeaky sway bar bushings on past vehicles after I went to all poly bushings. Those squeaked more often. The spraying of the silicon lubicant was more or less a fast/easy shot in the dark. I figured the chance of any of it creeping where it needs to be is slim.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I ran across this thread, sounds like the same noise, however, the fix he said the dealer did (which is now a TSB) did nothing for me. Also seems it may be a bit common.

Later in the post he states the dealer loosened and retorqued all rear suspension bolts and that took care of the issue.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
2,192 Posts
Silicone spray has always worked for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts