Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m relatively new to the site, new to Subies as well, this fall we purchased a 2017 Crosstrek Premium, over the Christmas break I installed a set of Crawford Power blocks. I took my time, put new plenum gaskets on too, maybe 1.5 hours to button it all up. Fired it up no fault lights, good to go. The car has CVT, and no the power blocks don’t make it a rocket ship, but it definitely pulls better, smoother acceleration, I haven’t checked the mileage as yet. But if one is looking for a little more grunt they are definitely worth it, I’ve already volunteered to help a neighbor put some on his 2018. All said a nice product, fair price, easy install, noticeable improvement.

· Butchin' Moderator
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,736 Posts
I’m relatively new to the site, new to Subies as well, this fall we purchased a 2017 Crosstrek Premium, over the Christmas break I installed a set of Crawford Power blocks. I took my time, put new plenum gaskets on too, maybe 1.5 hours to button it all up. Fired it up no fault lights, good to go. The car has CVT, and no the power blocks don’t make it a rocket ship, but it definitely pulls better, smoother acceleration, I haven’t checked the mileage as yet. But if one is looking for a little more grunt they are definitely worth it, I’ve already volunteered to help a neighbor put some on his 2018. All said a nice product, fair price, easy install, noticeable improvement.
Glad the upgrade worked for you. Assume you haven't followed up with an engine map yet? "Not a rocket ship" is an understatement so many on this site are looking for extra power. Having said that these are "Not for use on the road"? Upgrade gas to Mid/Premium? Probably want to do a little research before putting this on any car that needs emissions test. I couldn't find any evidence of the 15 hp/22 lb torque increase they claimed but maybe I just missed it.

The Crawford site has a basic but interesting breakdown of the Subaru engine that is worth a look:

· Registered
2022 Canadian Sport trim (6MT // 2.0 )
1,189 Posts
Interesting, thanks for the feedback. Too bad you didn't have a chance to do a dyno run - there is still no definite data showing a "before" vs. "after" for the FB20 or the FB20D.

Their claim of +15/22 is bogus until proven otherwise, IMHO. There are dyno runs with the blocks on the FA20, and the gains are ~ half of what's claimed.
Vishnu Tuning's Tales From The Dyno: Crawford Billet Power Blocks - Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB
Crawford BRZ / FR-S Billet Power Blocks for FA20 engine | Proven to ad - MAPerformance

· Registered
XV Crosstrek 2014 Premium 2.0i 6MT
252 Posts
Their usefulness dosen't come from an increase in peak power, they move the peak power earlier in the RPM range so it's more usable. And let's not forget about the gains in area under the curve. I have them and even without a tune, the difference is noticable.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really it’s based in decades old technology, Chrysler used this tech with their long ram/short ram intakes from the very early sixties on 361/383/413 engines, the differences in length changed where the torque output came on short ram lower in the rpm range/ longer ram higher in the rpm range.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts