Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
What is CPO?
certified pre-owened

I’ve seen rentals that were cpos...

it’s all a gamble but cpo is about at the bottom of my list for things to look for in a used vehicle. There’s some interesting reading on these if you google it but basically every manufacturer & stealership has different criterias for what a cpo is & how cpo warranty work is handled.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,178 Posts
certified pre-owened

I’ve seen rentals that were cpos...

it’s all a gamble but cpo is about at the bottom of my list for things to look for in a used vehicle. There’s some interesting reading on these if you google it but basically every manufacturer & stealership has different criterias for what a cpo is & how cpo warranty work is handled.
Yeah, it's usually just an inspection that the dealer does and they may replace a part if doesn't meet certain criteria but it's just a way to charge more for a car or make it seem more attractive. You can have an independent mechanic do an inspection and my opinion is that it's better to have someone other than who is selling it tell you how great it is, LOL!

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek
926 Posts
Last time I compared CPO to new, and then factored in the better interest rates on new, I went with new.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah, it's usually just an inspection that the dealer does and they may replace a part if doesn't meet certain criteria but it's just a way to charge more for a car or make it seem more attractive. You can have an independent mechanic do an inspection and my opinion is that it's better to have someone other than who is selling it tell you how great it is, LOL!
The reason most CPOs are attractive is because of the warranty coverage, not the inspection. A Subaru CPO vehicle has an extended 7-year, 100k mile powertrain warranty.

You can buy an extended warranty too, of course, so this isn't a necessity. But a CPO does have some value-add, and it's not because the dealer went through a checklist. Whether you pay more for a CPO vs a non-CPO is up to the individual negotiation, not a hard-and-fast rule. The Crosstrek I just bought was well below market value even for a non-CPO vehicle despite it being certified.

·
Registered
12 Posts
A Subaru CPO vehicle has a Subaru-mandated inspection and a Subaru-defined extended warranty period through the manufacturer. The dealership is not involved in these decisions.

Not saying that you should want it or not, just pointing out that there's no grey area. This is a Subaru forum, a CPO vehicle has a black-and-white definition.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,178 Posts
The reason most CPOs are attractive is because of the warranty coverage, not the inspection. A Subaru CPO vehicle has an extended 7-year, 100k mile powertrain warranty.

You can buy an extended warranty too, of course, so this isn't a necessity. But a CPO does have some value-add, and it's not because the dealer went through a checklist. Whether you pay more for a CPO vs a non-CPO is up to the individual negotiation, not a hard-and-fast rule. The Crosstrek I just bought was well below market value even for a non-CPO vehicle despite it being certified.
That's a good point, especially if you're looking at older vehicles that would otherwise be out of warranty as you can only buy a Subaru warranty up until the point the factory warranty expires.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts