Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 cross trek and a few weeks ago I noticed the cowl popping away from the windshield.

Brought it to the dealer and they claimed they fixed it by replacing the cowl but now it’s happening again. It’s mainly separating from the windshield in the middle and I can see the clips that are holding it in place.

Has anyone had this happen and do y’all have any fixes? Thanks!

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
13,753 Posts
Not sure what you mean. Can you post a pic?

·
Registered
930 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You’re saying the new replacement cowl deformed like that in a matter of a week or two?
It was within a few hours of them installing a new one. I just spoke with the service center and they think my windshield was installed improperly by whoever had the car before me.

Could that cause this issue?

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek Premium, Sunshine Orange
345 Posts
It was within a few hours of them installing a new one. I just spoke with the service center and they think my windshield was installed improperly by whoever had the car before me.

That seems very far fetched, but gotta give the service department credit for trying to blame someone else. Since your problem is identical to that experienced by others, it seems there is a defect in some/many of the cowls.

·
Registered
265 Posts

It's happened to others. As noted in the TSB there's now an improved cowl with additional attachment points.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Dealer is full of crap. LMAO. Call them out on it. This is a common issue. It happens to all crosstreks and imprezas. I have a 2019 impreza which uses the same cowl "technology" and it has broken twice so far. Once parked in the sun and once when the dealer did a carbon cleaning on my car per warranty and caused a bunch of heat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dealer is full of crap. LMAO. Call them out on it. This is a common issue. It happens to all crosstreks and imprezas. I have a 2019 impreza which uses the same cowl "technology" and it has broken twice so far. Once parked in the sun and once when the dealer did a carbon cleaning on my car per warranty and caused a bunch of heat.
Any way to permanately fix it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, everyone. They did install a new cowling a few weeks ago which is the one that popped back up. Not sure if they used the updated version.

They're paying for the windshield to be replaced next week as they still think that's the issue. According to the mechanic who looked at it, "Windshield has been replaced and installed in such a way that the retaining tabs on cowl panel will not properly retain onto the windshield."

Long-term, is there any harm that can be caused by the cowling not sitting flush with the windshield? Could it cause any mechanical/structural issues? Hoping the windshield replacement fixes it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts