Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

161 - 180 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Well, it stands to reason with everything we know about the CV that outdoor is better than indoor. And shouting, singing, even talking loudly increases the risk with close proximity.

I had to get a new sticker for one of my vehicles this morning. I was surprised how strict they still were. Only one client allowed inside (they had 4 working in there) at a time, and several minutes between each one as they sanitized everything. But no one was wearing a mask. Meanwhile, stores are getting more and more crowded these days, although most people are still doing their best to social distance, but it's getting harder and harder.

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,282 Posts
Father's Day Parade visitation at my parent's assisted living facility. How times have changed.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,886 Posts
Wow, that really is a sign of the times! Trust they are doing well...

And your '17 looks like you just drove it off the showroom floor!

Reactions: SubieSubieDo

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
Went out for Father's Day breakfast, and no line-ups despite only 50% seating. In past years, used to be line-ups on same day even with full capacity. Only diff was servers wearing masks, and higher menu prices (seems to be norm everywhere now). Was kind of nice having the extra privacy that the extra spacing gives you.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #166

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
This is where I grew up. What are these people thinking?

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,282 Posts
Pandemic partying. Trying to blow out my birthday candles today with mask on. If I hadn't been there I wouldn't believe myself.
"Can you imagine us years from today, sharing a park bench quietly? How terribly strange to be 70."

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
Happy Birthday!

Strange times indeed...

Reactions: FLCrosstrekker

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
We get a lot of technical, scientific info from our friends (e.g. scientists at JPL and Caltech, UCLA and Stanford professors, and an ER doctor in New York, etc.) and they post interesting things on their social media feeds. This graphic caught our attention. We're not endorsing it and some of the methodology may be questionable but it's probably a good start. The new "Food Pyramid"?

Source: https://www.nebraskamed.com/COVID/7-steps-to-identify-risky-covid-19-situations

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
Where's beaches and protests? Oh, that's Nebraska,... they don't have that there.:)

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
Where's beaches and protests? Oh, that's Nebraska,... they don't have that there.:)
Yeah, wouldn't it be great if there was a coordinated, federal response here...

Just throwing it out there. The many articles, and some studies, from our friends, whom I respect, seem to indicate that you're far less likely to catch it from an outdoor protest or going to the beach, versus sitting in a crowded church for several hours or attending an indoor "rally"...

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #175 (Edited)
Yeah, wouldn't it be great if there was a coordinated, federal response here...
Just throwing it out there. The many articles, and some studies, from our friends, whom I respect, seem to indicate that you're far less likely to catch it from an outdoor protest or going to the beach, versus sitting in a crowded church for several hours or attending an indoor "rally"...
Well, as we know depending on which side you are on, you can choose which studies and reports you believe (lots to choose now). I for one am very grateful that our country, Canada, did not use the broad brush approach. Our province, BC, chose not to clamp down and shelter in place, and did not even shut non-essential businesses. However, they were very clear with encouraging everyone to practice social distancing and sanitizing. It worked, and today, the virus is pretty well eradicated here (for now). No new cases in the community for quite some time, and only a few cases still happening in the nursing homes. Only 2 left in ECU's in the entire province (over 200 hospitals). Pretty well everything is back to normal, although people are continuing to practice social distancing and sanitizing. We're going to restaurants, visiting with friends/family basically same now as before the virus. Just not travelling out of province. That's actually normal for this time of year here. What's missing is the tourists. And can't say that is a bad thing...

Ironically, the 2 provinces, Ontario and Quebec, which clamped down hard with shutting down all non-essential businesses and advising everyone to stay at home, except to go to pharmacies and groceries also had the most cases (per population) and deaths by far. So it certainly didn't turn out well for them. Somewhat similar to New York although not near that bad (almost the worst in the world).

I think the most risk is indoors where there are lots of people. That's why bars are so bad, esp coupled with alcohol emboldened irresponsible behaviour. Extreme heat in the south driving people indoors doesn't help either, I'm sure. Here, we enjoy our drinks and socializing outside this time of year.

Our big concern here now, is travellers coming in and spreading it again. The borders are mostly closed, but some are still getting in. Just hope that they are responsible.

·
Registered
8,886 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
I dread looking at the news these days...
Yes. Really very scary although personally, I was more alarmed by news this morning that Kayne West is going to run for POTUS and Kim Kardasian could become first lady.

Meanwhile, Downunder, there's a spike very much like a 2nd wave in Melbourne (Victoria). Also, a COVID19 cluster in a high rise public housing estate there which went into immediate lockdown. No time to even rush out for a bulk pack of🧻🛒.

The VIctorian spike and the cluster being described as "vertical cruise ships" sent our own NSW Premier who, despite still stinging from the Ruby Princess cruise ship debacle, is an advocate for keeping borders open is now supporting the border closure. This is NSW's first border closure in 100 years which was during, wait for it ...
the Spanish Flu.

Compared to the USA, UK and other countries, we're doing well. The Winter School holiday migration started over the past week and anyone here now with Victorian registration plates on their car is being given a very wide berth.

With no cat to cuddle, I'm taking solace in watching videos of 'The Car Cleaning Guru' on YouTube. His voice is quite soothing 🐨

·
Registered
612 Posts
Oh, and our Federal Finance Minister just resigned and whenever that happens, it's a pretty good economic indicator they don't want to be around when the :poop: hits.

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
@SubieSubieDo you SO crack me up! 😸

There is almost no chance that Kayne West can even qualify for the ballot, let alone win enough Electoral College votes (which Trump won, although he lost the popular vote by a remarkable 3 million votes). Many states' primaries have already closed.

I'm assuming that was a publicity stunt but, who knows, in this alternate reality version of 2020 that we're all living in...

We have kittens! Two new fosters now available for adoption! You're pretty far away but you gave me a good opportunity to promote kittens! We've had this bonded pair for a couple of months and they are adorable:

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
We call them Sean (on the right), and Connery (on the left). Sean and Connery...

Connery is more assertive and she's telling her sister to stop whatever she is doing and pose for a new pic, LOL!

161 - 180 of 215 Posts