Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

201 - 215 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,850 Posts
Scary news here today Los Angeles County now has more confirmed cases than the whole of Canada. Looks like we're headed back into total lockdown.

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
Scary news here today Los Angeles County now has more confirmed cases than the whole of Canada. Looks like we're headed back into total lockdown.
Well, I wish you would keep your Hollywood types locked down there. They are coming up here now making movies. Apparently they can cross the border because it is called commercial business.

The fear here is people coming in from all over now, and it is going to start spreading here again. And as per my last post, the young'uns seem to make no effort to social distance or wear masks once they are near a bar or restaurant. Whistler was as crowded as ever. I think they should raise the drinking age temporarily to 35, haha. I bet that would cool things down pretty fast, and maybe they will go somewhere else....

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Gave blood 2 days ago. You get an antibody test. Waiting for results. Pretty s ure I had it. Hope so. Wife had symptoms. And I'm 74. I just had a rash and fever. Less t a n a cold. Wife had a sore throat and mild fever. At the end of the day I think it's over the top contagious but serious illness extremely low. Well see. I'm not minimizing it

·
Registered
8,850 Posts
Gave blood 2 days ago. You get an antibody test. Waiting for results. Pretty s ure I had it. Hope so. Wife had symptoms. And I'm 74. I just had a rash and fever. Less t a n a cold. Wife had a sore throat and mild fever. At the end of the day I think it's over the top contagious but serious illness extremely low. Well see. I'm not minimizing it
Same here (routine blood blood work at the doctor's - I used to give blood but can't here because I lived in the UK during the mad cow outbreak. No comments from the peanut gallery, please! 😸). No results yet. I was curious as we both had cold symptoms in March.

I also signed up for the vaccine trials: Coronavirus Clinical Study Volunteer | COVID-19 Prevention Network

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,278 Posts
Thank you for the link. I just registered.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Just read only 25% would take the vaccine. Personal choice but I want a life again and this winter with the regular flu and colds it will be mayhem again. Looking at the technology, the worst that can happen is that it won't be effective.

·
Registered
8,850 Posts
Yeah, and no one seems to know long the immunity will last.We may need to have to keep getting shots.

·
Registered
8,850 Posts
Interesting article comparing the US to Canada: Column: I'm in Canada, where the COVID police are watching

"Canada reported 3,043 new cases last week; California, whose population is only slightly larger, reported more than 55,000."

Few people around here seems to be taking it seriously. There were two raging parties in the condos around our pool area over the weekend...

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
That article is a little misleading. It is references primarily Ontario where they had a big clamp down along with Quebec. Yet those two provinces had the worst cases and deaths in Canada. Here in BC, we only implemented mitigation strategies, but no clamp down, and non-essential businesses were allowed to continue operation. Yet we had the least cases and deaths of the major population provinces in Canada.

Reporters and news media often try to select and choose what and how they report to suit their own narrative. So that article is completely misleading if they are implying the reason for lower cases is "covid police". I will say though, that perhaps our society is more responsible with law abiding , although we have some inner city problems as well, just not as bad as in the US (no defund police BS here despite egging on by the media).

Having said that, we are now experiencing a covid resurgence in Canada and in BC, due to incoming travel which has been relaxed somewhat. It is not out of hand yet, but the steady increase in cases and outbreaks in the community is worrisome. We were doing great until recently.

·
Registered
8,850 Posts
Does it have to do with population densities in the various areas? I'm not that familiar with Canada's geography. California has been one of the stricter states and is now in really bad shape, however, it's primarily in the higher population density areas like Los Angeles. There are some rural counties that have hardly had any cases.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
Does it have to do with population densities in the various areas? I'm not that familiar with Canada's geography. California has been one of the stricter states and is now in really bad shape, however, it's primarily in the higher population density areas like Los Angeles. There are some rural counties that have hardly had any cases.
Vancouver has one of the most dense population centres in Canada (probably in NA, often compared to Hong Kong). It is hemmed in by water and mountains. No, it had more to do with how our govt managed the outbreaks with early mitigation and contact tracing early on. They used our limited medical resources very efficiently and focused hard on the hot spots. No broad brush approach here, as I have mentioned before, but just a lot of common sense. It worked.

Here are a couple images of Vancouver if you are not familiar.

·
Registered
8,850 Posts
Interesting...

Pics look great! OAK has an aunt there whom we planned to visit this year but that's not going to happen now. Ironically, due to the lockdown, we see much more of her than we ever did before, via Zoom!

Reactions: SubieSubieDo

·
Registered
585 Posts
Interesting article comparing the US to Canada: Column: I'm in Canada, where the COVID police are watching

"Canada reported 3,043 new cases last week; California, whose population is only slightly larger, reported more than 55,000."

Few people around here seems to be taking it seriously. There were two raging parties in the condos around our pool area over the weekend...
I'm sorry @AstroKats
Australia has held up well but there is a 2nd surge in Victoria they're finding hard to suppress. Some state border closures have come back into place because people were persisting with interstate travel, giving false statements and trying to avoid detection/sneak over borders. In recent days it was reported that there were over 3000 known active cases in Victoria that were meant to be self isolating at home. Really I think the term quarantine would be more effective. When the authorities door knocked to check on them, over 800 were not at home. 800 Victorians not at home after being told to self-isolate
The new cases added yesterday is 725 with 15 deaths and one was a man in his 30s. It's expected the daily tally will reach 1000 soon.

NSW on the other hand learned a lesson from the cruise ships and is heavily focussed on urging people to get tested and contact tracing to prevent community spread. They determine where/who the spread originated from as soon as an outbreak is identified. Sites are closed and a deep cleaning squad goes in to decontaminate before the site can open again.

The Federal Government placed great emphasis on the Covid Safe phone app. Frankly, that has been a bit of a fizzer. Just one case was identified and only served to confirm a case already identified by the health authorities.

201 - 215 of 215 Posts