Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,258 Posts
Good question, and it's also possible that something else might work better than Super Coolant. But for peace of mind while under factory or extended warranty, why take the chance of Subaru pointing the finger at non-OEM coolant if you have a cooling system problem? "Compatible" fluid may be penny-wise and pound-foolish.

·
Registered
561 Posts
There is a reason coolant is colored, from green, red, pink, blue, purple is to distinguished the main chemical base. So when it is mixed, the longevity may not meet designated standard performance. Same like engine oil, all can claim API SN and can be mixed, but the chemical composition may vary for each brand, and when people mix product they may end up with inferior products. I hate my local Subaru dealer just because they are ignorance enough to top up coolant on reservoir with water. Of course based on their servicing package, this coolant will be replaced before it get rusty, but for peace of mind on simple stuff that is supposed extremely low maintenance, I will just use Subaru coolant to top up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Good question, and it's also possible that something else might work better than Super Coolant. But for peace of mind while under factory or extended warranty, why take the chance of Subaru pointing the finger at non-OEM coolant if you have a cooling system problem? "Compatible" fluid may be penny-wise and pound-foolish.
If us "Toyota" Vibe owners blindly followed the all knowing GM god's owner's manual, we'd all be flooding our radiators with GM dexcool. Keep turning the pages to further read that our second generation Vibes take Toyota Type IV transmission fluid. Both WRONG and both catastrophic to reasonably reliable albeit oil gulping Corolla and Camry engines. Moreover, any Toyota technician will tell you story after story of how they have solved countless transmission problems by sticking to a more logical 60,000-80,000 mile World Standard (WS) transmission fluid replacement schedule and NOT following the company's initial statements that the WS fluid was a "forever" fluid. Again, if you've got money to burn or a lift in your backyard, replace your fluids monthly; your car will love it. If you can afford OEM supplies, go for it; they should perform perfectly (as long as GM isn't writing your owner's manual). Certainly don't blindly put any fluid or parts into your car without doing research first. But also don't scare people away from the fact that there are countless other companies like Amsoil and Zerex, to name just two, who produce products that are equal or superior to OEM.

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek
1,234 Posts
There is a "blue" coolant that supposedly meets Subaru spec, but in my shopping it was only a couple bucks cheaper than buying the factory stuff on Amazon.
Why did I go factory? My first new Subaru was an '03 OBS. Back in those days Subaru recommended a coolant system additive, and I religiously added it at every change. I traded that car at about 200k miles and never had a head gasket leak. So I stick their antifreeze directive.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Subaru STILL recommends the Cooling System Conditioner. It's stated in a "note" on maintenance schedule in the Warranty & Maintenance booklet. Like orndog I have added it religiously in my 2010 Forester in conjunction with coolant changes. At 240k miles I have yet to have a head gasket leak (internal or external) or a cooling system issue.

Reactions: aba4430

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
My 2019 owners manual says to use Subaru Super Coolant but when I go to Subaru's Parts website and pull up Subaru Super Coolant SOA868V9270 and check for model year, the response says it does not fit 2019, 2020 or 2021 Subarus. As far as I know there is only one pre-mix Super Coolant so I'm a bit confused and can't answer your question.

·
Registered
445 Posts
My 2019 owners manual says to use Subaru Super Coolant but when I go to Subaru's Parts website and pull up Subaru Super Coolant SOA868V9270 and check for model year, the response says it does not fit 2019, 2020 or 2021 Subarus. As far as I know there is only one pre-mix Super Coolant so I'm a bit confused and can't answer your question.
As as I can tell there is only one "SUBARU SUPER COOLANT". The website must not be up to date.

Reactions: SubaruBill

·
Registered
146 Posts
There is a reason coolant is colored, from green, red, pink, blue, purple is to distinguished the main chemical base. So when it is mixed, the longevity may not meet designated standard performance. Same like engine oil, all can claim API SN and can be mixed, but the chemical composition may vary for each brand, and when people mix product they may end up with inferior products. I hate my local Subaru dealer just because they are ignorance enough to top up coolant on reservoir with water. Of course based on their servicing package, this coolant will be replaced before it get rusty, but for peace of mind on simple stuff that is supposed extremely low maintenance, I will just use Subaru coolant to top up.
ignorant? really? you really think that a water top substantially alters the composition of 8 litres of something that is mixed with water anyway? seems harsh.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I've often wondered if it is the water part or glycol part of the coolant that evaporates, or both? If it is just water evaporation then kr_xv's dealer is correct in topping off with water so long as it is distilled.

·
Registered
561 Posts
ignorant? really? you really think that a water top substantially alters the composition of 8 litres of something that is mixed with water anyway? seems harsh.
Well if they top up with distilled water it may be not too bad, the most you will have coolant with lower boiling point. However, they will just take tap water that may contain mineral that may speed up deterioration of the coolant, and potentially to get the coolant path inside the engine get rusty or blocked sooner.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I've often wondered if it is the water part or glycol part of the coolant that evaporates, or both? If it is just water evaporation then kr_xv's dealer is correct in topping off with water so long as it is distilled.
I believe rhe ones evaporate are both because it is a kind of homogenous mixture. I dont see much separation except the coolant heated up beyond boiling point, the water will be totally evaporates and leave chalky residue.

·
Needs a Butch car
2020 Crosstrek Premium
773 Posts
I believe rhe ones evaporate are both because it is a kind of homogenous mixture.
FYI this is not correct. I work with large glycol water systems.
You know how when they make liquor, they boil it at a specific temperature for a specific amount of time to remove the alcohols that will make you blind, but the good alcohols remain? It's the same concept.

·
Registered
561 Posts
The system itself is not filled with pure coolant, but a mix water with coolant. So when the reservoir getting low, i do not think only the water evaporates because the boiling point of the mixture is higher than just water alone. If only water evaporates, then the reservoir will end up with super concentrated liquid rather than low mixture liquid, even though the percentage of water and coolant that evaporate may be different

·
Registered
387 Posts
As as I can tell there is only one "SUBARU SUPER COOLANT". The website must not be up to date.
I understand that we need Super Coolant. I just wanted to verify.

Some people have received "Long Life Coolant" instead, which is green and has a different part number obviously.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts