·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2019 Canadian Sport trim (6MT // 2.0 )
98 Posts
I always wonder how do they define "reliability" for nearly brand new cars. Hard to have a comprehensive judgment before the average mileage of a specific model falls exceeds 100k ..

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always wonder how do they define "reliability" for nearly brand new cars. Hard to have a comprehensive judgment before the average mileage of a specific model falls exceeds 100k ..
They use the data from the last 3 years.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,809 Posts
They use the term "predicted reliability". The Ascent has a terrible rating. The Crosstrek is the best:

Reactions: CRAZYHAWK

·
Registered
385 Posts
Look at BMW, Audi, Benz.. worst than subaru````````

Reactions: 500 Clear

·
Registered
385 Posts
Reactions: CRAZYHAWK

·
Has Butch tires
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
654 Posts
I think CR is better than nothing. You wonder what the sample size is when things really jump around like this. My anecdotal experience with my 2018 Crosstrek (30 K) and my wife's 2016 Sonata Hybrid (75K) is they are equally reliable to our many Toyotas to this date. These cars have shown themselves to be more reliable than my 2007 Corolla. Ultimately it is how I feel about my experience about reliability of that makes decision although I do read the CR car evaluations. I should say that had I bought an early Hyundai and seen the quality issues we probably would not have bought the 2016 Hyundai but CR said it's quality was constantly improving so we made that jump using CR.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Reactions: 500 Clear

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,809 Posts
The Impreza is manufactured in Lafayette, Indiana. The Crosstrek is manufactured in Gunma, Japan.
LOL, I was surprised to see Buick did so well.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
171 Posts
That is kind of strange that the Ascent would be so much lower. Subaru uses a lot of the same parts in the various line ups, so I have to wonder what makes it so unreliable?

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,536 Posts
That is kind of strange that the Ascent would be so much lower. Subaru uses a lot of the same parts in the various line ups, so I have to wonder what makes it so unreliable?
I was thinking of buying an Ascent when it first came out. But following their forum, there were a lot of early problems. The biggest was transmission failures due a faulty harness. Took them a year or more to figure that one out. And there were numerous other more minor issues. too. I think at this time the Ascent is a good vehicle, but they certainly had a lot of start-up problems.

My interest in the Ascent was for towing my boat and just more room for pax and cargo to our cabin. But my Crosstrek turned out to be more capable than I thought (tows my boat just fine), and with a rear hitch carrier can handle my occasional extra cargo carrying needs. So I decided I don't need the Ascent and bought an EV instead. Am quite happy with my decision.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,809 Posts
One mag (forget which) did a long term test when they first came out and I think they had to take to the shop like five times. Needless to say it didn't get a good review for reliability.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Premium
547 Posts
I understand it has a lot to do with initial quality and predicted problems. I find their predictions interesting, but I do take it with a grain of salt.

I wonder if the Ascent gets such a bad rating in part due to only offering a turbo engine.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,809 Posts
Ha, ha! The MB GLE scored 1 point! 😸

As did the Ford Explorer...

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
171 Posts
They use members who own the models data to predict reliability. So, no....they are not saying that the new model is not reliable, they are saying that past models tend to have issues, so the new model may have issues as well. This is where the "predicted reliability" is calculated from.

·
Registered
2019 Canadian Sport trim (6MT // 2.0 )
98 Posts
^ Fair enough. I might be naive to take for granted that for three years nothing at all is supposed to go wrong in the first place.
Having had my 08 impreza for 11 years and 230 000 km (sold it when the HGs started leaking) with no "repairs" beyond what I consider wear & tear items (belts, brakes, bearings, bushings, plugs.. everything else was stock), I'm not sure I'm aware of what an unreliable car actually means...😄

1 - 20 of 31 Posts