Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought a brand new xv crosstrek. i had it for almost 2 weeks when me and my girlfriend head on a longtrip around calgary-banff-jasper. after a 2day long trip all a way from grande prairie,calgary,banff and next was jasper. i was 40-50mins away heading to jasper town when my dashboard alarmed, showing all ABS check, brake system check, power stirring check. had to pull over the side of the highway just to check what was the problem, had to turn off the engine. check outside the tires to see any physical problems outside but there were none so i try to turn on the engine again and everything was all dead. the car didnt start, not even the lights were on. everything was totally dead. after few people who tried to help me by boosting my battery cuz i thought it could be just the battery was totally depleted but it was still no use. ended up towing my xv back to my dealership, ruining my 2day vacation becuase the 2week old crosstrek totally wont start. any one had the same issues?

·
Premium Member
8,374 Posts
Hi Marky927,

I can complete understand your feelings about the car. After all, you purchased it to drive and not to have to towed to the dealership. While there has been the odd issue with the XV that I can remember reading on this forum, there hasn't been any large scale issue or consistent issue (if you don't count the dash rattles! or the occasional one with excessive oil burning).

Please report back here with what the dealer finds as the issue. I'm sure we will do our best to give you our assessment of the findings!

·
Premium Member
3,562 Posts
Marky, that does not sound good at all!
When you read though these forums overall there have been very few serious problems with the XV...BUT just recently there was one member who did have a 'Lemon', which did break down numerous times, would not start and was hauled off to the dealership several times and was in there for weeks while Subaru tried to fix it.
Eventually that owner sold it back to Subaru and no longer has an XV.
I have to stress that this was an extreme case! There are very very few complaints about XVs not starting.
You can read about it here...
http://www.subaruxvforum.com/forum/problems-maintenance-warranty/8417-grinding-stall-startup.html
And I do hope your troubles get sorted easily.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Hi Marky, that is really bad luck! Sounds a lot like the electrical issues in the thread Deb's link:( Very bad luck, I hope the dealer can fix or you get a new replacement. 99.9% of us on this forum have no major issues. Subarus are very reliable. Good Luck and keep us informed:)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
150 Posts
That's sad and sorry to hear that. I got my XV at Centaur suabru.

I dont know what is the problem but i hope it gets fully exchanged.....

I dont remember well enough but.....I read about engine breakin.... during the breakin period, manual said do not hold same rpm for long time....and avoid using cruize control.....

Since then, i avoided highway one and stayed to city/macleod driving....currently at 700km

(This is my just guess.....I am not an expert....I wish you that everything gets solved....)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Sorry to hear your trouble. I hope the problem will be solved properly and you will be happy again. We took ours to the very tip of Cape York and did not miss a beat. Cheers.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
As much as Subaru and all other manufacturers try to put out the most realiable car they can, there will always be cars with major problems. After all everthing of any consequence is controlled by a computer and we know computers fail at times.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Egads. I hope things get sorted out for you. How disappointing and frustrating!

Hmmm...I'd better finish reading the manual. Didn't know about avoiding too much cruise control/consistent RPM. I've been hyper-miling on cruise control and I've had my XV only 6 days. May have to alter my driving methods temporarily.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I have heard/read about XVs coming with bad batteries occasionally. Lets hope you just got a lemon battery. Good luck!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Alternator or battery is bad. If the battery, a jump should have got you going again and you could have run off the alternator as long as you kept the motor running. A totally discharged battery may suck all the current the alternator could put out though and you could still below the 12+ volts threshold the car needs for the electrical devices to work. My guess, could tell in a moment if I was there. Either way a bummer, s*** happens, it's inconvenient and minor, but at least your covered.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I was gonna say bad battery too. The battery that comes with the car looks pretty cheap IMO. Mine has the old shcool pop off caps for adding distilled water. I am considering a maintenence free battery. Anyway, let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Sorry to hear of your bad luck.
The battery in my xv is quite sophisticated clearly labelled "for start and stop". It looks of Japanese origin which is always good.

It does have caps on top but need pliers to remove to be able to add water if needed.

Battery's tend to burn a lot of water with heavy discharge and charge cycles.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
527 Posts
The oem battery in my XV is not anything that should ever be called "sophisticated".
It looks like it was pulled off a 1975 chevy vega or something.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hey Vega batteries were among the most sophisticated of their time, lol!

Sound like a bad ground somewhere. Good luck.

paul

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm going with bad alternator. No reason for a battery to die during driving unless it's not getting charged off the engine and the car uses all the battery power. Sorry to hear that it happened on vacation in such a beautiful area.

I'm coming up on 10k miles and my car hasn't as much as hiccuped.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts