Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello SubaruXVforum.com! Gonna start a build thread here but I'll start today with a few pics. In the future look for LED light installs, dynamat installs, and speaker replacements.

offroadlikeasir.jpg

EDIT:: for those that want to see pic and use chrome browser, there is now a fix here:

Chrome: http:// https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-fixer/ogipgokcopooepeipngiikdkpmcpkaon

Photobucket hijacked all my pics so if you want to see them you can with the add on above.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So far my ride has the hood protector/deflector, rear bumper protector, and body side molding on the outside. On the inside I have the cargo area protector, seat back protectors, all weather mats, side cargo nets, and retractable cargo shade/cover.

Looking forward to working on it this weekend!

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I finally turned over 1000 miles yesterday... You know I was on the gas today!! Paddle shifting and winding it out just to hear the growl!

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I decided to mod the rear trunk light. Many folks on the forum hav said that it is insufficient. I added a LED and took it a step further by adding aluminum backing to act as a reflector.

First, install the LED buld and check the polarity.

I am using 3M adhesive backed aluminum tape.

Cut a small peice of electrical tape to prevent the alunimum from shorting the circut:

Add the tape to the back and sides:

Nice and bright!

Pop it back in place....looking good.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you planning to offer workshops?!:D
The led lights do brighten it.
p.s. don't tell my wife it will carry 10 bales of pinestraw.
Workshops! How many XV owners does it take to replace a lightbulb? Kidding...I can help you out with mods if you want. And yeah, keep that pinestraw thing to yourself...it makes a mess!

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, so I added LED license plate lights. I decided to go through the interior paneling to get to them versus popping them off from the outside. I thought the lights were sealed with a foam backing and didnt want to break the seal. I was wrong. There is no adhesive on the back of the foam. The light is held in by a plastic clip and just sliding the light inward pops them loose. The right light is not easily accessable from the interior either. I had to pop it out. So, if you do this, just pop 'em off from the out side and leave the interior alone. Pics:

This is the rear hatch up with the interior paneling popped loose and the left bulb removed:

Shouldnt have done it this way:

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I added some LED "eyebrow" lights. these are the parking lights above the low beams. I accessed them by popping the hood and removing the felt peices on the left and right just above the wheel wells along the inner fender. Pics:

This is the parking lamp removed. You can see the hole on the triangle peice where the fender felt clips on to just above the negative terminal of the battery. Be careful not to drop a clip when removing them. I had one fall in between the battey and fuse box and took me a while to fish it out with some long needle nose pliers.

LED is installed but it is defective! The top LED will not light up. I chose to leave it in and contact the seller for replacement. EDIT: Replaced with new properly functioning unit

Out with the old... (jeez the old lamp almost looks brown in this pic!)

In with the new!

EDIT: these eyebrow lights suck! They are failing and the individual SMDs blink sometimes. Don't buy them! I am getting some new ones from Superbrightleds.com, as I have never had bad stuff from them.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The seller of the faulty LED above has sent a free replacement! So thats nice. I cant wait to install my new LED Fog lamps and Polk speakers!!! Just one more day until the weekend!!!!

EDIT: The failure of the bulb right out of the box is a testament to the quality of these crappy bulbs. Don't get them. I am getting new ones from a quality supplier.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Cool deal, man. You do the same kinds of mods I like to do - lights and sound!

Got any pics of those LED parking lights at night? Also, let us know what LED fogs you end up getting. I've been watching a few threads on here but haven't seen any yet that I really like the brightness/color of.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cool deal, man. You do the same kinds of mods I like to do - lights and sound!

Got any pics of those LED parking lights at night? Also, let us know what LED fogs you end up getting. I've been watching a few threads on here but haven't seen any yet that I really like the brightness/color of.
this is the parking lights in my dark garage. It looks way different in person. The camera photo of the light just washes out the shape or the "eyebrow." I assure you it looks tight.

Fogs are gonna be 10 watt 1200 lumen Cree LED...in crazy hyper yellow. Still gotta install and evaluate 'em. They certainly look the part in the package. I removed the paneling under one of the fogs to see how hard it would be...lots of those plastic pop rivet things and one screw. Gonna take my time with it this weekend but its not supposed to rain (for once this summer in Georgia) so I might just go to the pool and get my swim/tan on with the fam....we'll see. To mod or not to mod....really depends on the weather and how much beer we have. ;)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Never enough beer! Just think how creative you'll become with "enough"! I'll see a distant glow in the sky south of me and know you've added more lights.;)

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Polk Speaker/Dynamat install

So I took your advice and sent the Fam to the pool. I worked all morning until it got hot. then I bailed for beer and the cool water. I got the drivers side done and half of the passengers.

First I filled the spacers with caulk and smoothed it out and let it dry. Then I added weather stripping since they spacers do not fully seal against the door metal.

Finished taping up the seams...

Added the spacer ring...

Added some ensolite foam to further deaden the sound...

all done.

test fit the polk- need to see how much wiring and how the mounting would work. All good.

cut the stock harness and added my own connections. Stripped, soldered, and shrink wrapped.

POLK DXI650 INSTALLED PRO STYLE.

giggity.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
it was a tight fit for the door panel. I had trouble getting the panel to clip in the area above and below the speaker. Might have been too thick with all the sound deadening material. I am cutting the passenger door back some and will use less foam in that area. EDIT, I shoulda cut a hole thru the foam for that one clip above the speaker-no wonder it was so hard to snap. In a hurry I guess.

more passenger side install pics to come. I really want to install the LED fogs!!! Taking my time and doing it right. Well trying anyway. --coletrain

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Polk Speaker/Dynamat install

Ok passenger side time:

Sealed up and speaker ring installed. Wires spliced.

nice foam gasket around the speaker ring

Polk Speaker installed and foam added to door

Very important to know where the clip goes in the door panel. I was cutting out a hole in the wrong place. The arrow shows where the hole should be. I found this out by a test fit of the door skin and noticed the indentation of the foam. I covered the incorrect hole (the square below the arrow).

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I went for a drive and the sound is great!! Way more bass and clearer all through the sound spectrum. I wouldnt say its a huge difference but definitely a BIG difference... especially for a good ear or audiophile type. Definitely worth the time and effort. I am very pleased. I am saving the rear doors for another day. I will do the tweeters soon. The doors are so quiet that I noticed I had a slight rattle in the A pillar right around the tweeter grill like others have reported. I gotta go buy some new music now! ...And some new tweets.

1 - 20 of 265 Posts