Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The brakes seem a little weak and I'd like a softer suspension to make things more comfortable. Are there any upgrades around for either of those? Also would impreza brakes fit on a 17 crosstrek?

·
Premium Member
8,374 Posts
Wlecome to the forum!

The Crosstrek's brakes are actually upgraded from the Impreza brakes so you won't see any improvements going in that direction!

When you say weak, what do you mean? Soft? Spongy? poor stopping distance?

Most people have had good success doing the following:

1. Going to stainless steel brake lines. One of our sponsors sells a nice set that is made for the Crosstreks. You can use an Impreza set but you might find that they may be just a bit short for comfort.
2. Installing a master cylinder brace.
3. Since you have had your car for a while, you may just need to flush the brake fluid.
4. If you want to go all out, some people have replaced our 2 pot calipers with old WRX 4 pot ones. You need a bit more hardware over and above just the calipers but its doable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just wish the stopping distance was a little shorter. Usually I try to engine brake but if I put it in neutral and brake it feels a little long. I might look at new calipers or a brace for it if that would help. if I went old Impreza brakes would it have to be 2017 as well or a different year?

·
Premium Member
8,374 Posts
I just wish the stopping distance was a little shorter. Usually I try to engine brake but if I put it in neutral and brake it feels a little long. I might look at new calipers or a brace for it if that would help. if I went old Impreza brakes would it have to be 2017 as well or a different year?
Have you ever replaced the brake fluid? I would do that first as it's cheap and easy to do in addition, it's usually the most overlooked brake maintenance that is rarely done.

Old Impreza brakes won't fit... like I said above, the Crosstrek brakes are upgrades from the Impreza ones. You want to use WRX brakes - https://www.subaruxvforum.com/forum/suspension-brakes/47354-4-2-pot-upgrade.html

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll make sure to check that out, thanks.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I've tracked my 2018 Crosstrek 6mt and if you really want to stop, get better tires. maybe it's bc I have a 2nd gen but this thing stops really well, lap after lap. I experienced brake fade maybe twice in the 5 days ive tracked it or autoX'd it. by no means am I going fast, but the weight of the car I thought for sure the brakes would suck. they didn't. I used 200tw tires and it felt really good. going back to a/t then the brakes start to suck again

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've got 2014 Crosstrek and just installed the EBC Stage 2 (Green stuff pads) front & rear. Brake pedal feel remains the same but the stopping has improved significantly.
IMG_1731.JPG

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Check the air pressure in your tires. Consider comfort when you replace them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts