Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love coffee. I love to explore new varieties, and brands. Please share what your currently drinking, and give a little feedback about it.

I'll start. I am currently enjoying Starbucks whole bean Ethiopia medium roast. And it is true to its label "Citrus and Dark Chocolate." It has a delicious, dominant dark chocolate flavor up front, with wonderful hints of citrus.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I like mine very strong and black.
Last few years been using Costco, Kirkland Rwandan Whole Bean. Two 3 lb bags run around 39 bucks. Get it via Costco online as it's not always available in the stores.
Always comes to house fresh. Never had a stale or dried out bag.
Strong but not bitter, which because I use no cream or sugar, is very good.
Use a nice little Epica Coffee Bean Grinder I got on Amazon. Around 25 bucks, but has lasted 4 years, used twice daily.
Grumpaw

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I have been drinking Mariposa Coffee for quite a while now. I just have not found anything quite as good, other than Kona, and Kona is very, VERY expensive to get real 100% Kona.

The owners name is Gerry, and is a great guy to work with. He roasts his own coffee on site. He does ship, although his website leaves something to be desired. I’m sure if you called, you could get any of his many flavors shipped. I’m currently drinking his chocolate cherry flavor, and it’s my favorite. Other brands, I’ve gotten the chocolate, but not much cherry flavor, but the Mariposa stuff actually tastes like a chocolate covered cherry in a coffee, without being overbearing. My wife drinks his Almond Joy flavor and loves it.

I see you’re in Murrieta, I’m only an off ramp or two south of you. Next time I go up there, I’d be happy to bring you a sample bag down.

I found out about this guy because he also runs Mariposa Mattress, selling mattresses, and I was working for a mattress manufacturer. So I met him about 2 years ago through that. He made me a cup of coffee and it was delicious so I asked him what kind it was, he said it was his own, so I was like “No, what brand? Like, where did you get it?” Then he walked me over to his coffee shop and “No really, it’s mine. I roast coffee.” Been drinking Mariposa Coffee ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been drinking Mariposa Coffee for quite a while now. I just have not found anything quite as good, other than Kona, and Kona is very, VERY expensive to get real 100% Kona.

The owners name is Gerry, and is a great guy to work with. He roasts his own coffee on site. He does ship, although his website leaves something to be desired. I’m sure if you called, you could get any of his many flavors shipped. I’m currently drinking his chocolate cherry flavor, and it’s my favorite. Other brands, I’ve gotten the chocolate, but not much cherry flavor, but the Mariposa stuff actually tastes like a chocolate covered cherry in a coffee, without being overbearing. My wife drinks his Almond Joy flavor and loves it.

I see you’re in Murrieta, I’m only an off ramp or two south of you. Next time I go up there, I’d be happy to bring you a sample bag down.

I found out about this guy because he also runs Mariposa Mattress, selling mattresses, and I was working for a mattress manufacturer. So I met him about 2 years ago through that. He made me a cup of coffee and it was delicious so I asked him what kind it was, he said it was his own, so I was like “No, what brand? Like, where did you get it?” Then he walked me over to his coffee shop and “No really, it’s mine. I roast coffee.” Been drinking Mariposa Coffee ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That would be awesome. We all have the same great taste in cars, so I can't wait to taste your fav coffee.

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,264 Posts
Kona AA from the local roaster. Worth every cent.
Hey, Rallyebourne, more OT. Just ordered myself a Pure Talalay Bliss mattress. I do like the finer things in life. :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Darn, you guy's really outclass me.
Makes the stuff I use sound like swill. But to me it's good.
Then again, old Navy guy, and retired cop. My idea of good coffee was/is, if a spoon dosen't stand stright up in it, than it's not strong enough.
Grumpaw :giggle:

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I'm a Grumpaw's table. We use a blend (sounds fancy) of Costco, Kirkland Whole Bean and Dunkin Donuts regular.
Brew it in a automatic Drip set for 7:00AM. A little cream - no sugar. I love good coffee though.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm currently drinking Kicking Horse Grizzly Claw whole bean. But once I get to work, it's Timmies dark roast cause it's in the building... haha.

·
Super Moderator
8,379 Posts
Darn, you guy's really outclass me.
Makes the stuff I use sound like swill. But to me it's good.
Then again, old Navy guy, and retired cop. My idea of good coffee was/is, if a spoon dosen't stand stright up in it, than it's not strong enough.
Grumpaw :giggle:
But that's a type of brew in itself. I remember years ago when coffee was... well... just coffee where you either brewed it at home or you had it at the restaurant or dinner. Locally, the classic dinner coffee was supplied by a company called Dicksons and every small mom&pop cafe had the same stuff and it all tasted exactly the same.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm a Cold Brewer. I currently like Columbian from Trader Joe's. It's priced well and tastes pretty darn good cold brewed.

Before anyone calls me a hipster, I only Cold Brew since regular coffee gives me a sore stomach and hemorroides since I drink it black. Hope that wasn't too much info.

·
Registered
289 Posts
When I occasionally go into a coffee shop, I love standing in line listening to people order a fancy cup of whatever that has a list of stuff in it that takes longer to read than it takes to brew a pot of coffee.
Love it when I get up to counter and order a cup "of the strongest, black, plain coffee you have"
I actually get some strange looks sometimes.
Grumpaw :dizzy:

·
Super Moderator
2013 XV Crosstrek, Tangerine Orange
3,529 Posts
Nice to see some hardcore coffee drinkers here!

I drink several strong cups a day, and have since I was a teenager. I buy beans from a couple of local coffee roasters once in a while, but given the volume of my consumption I mostly buy Costco's Columbian beans, to keep from going broke. (If you ever get out this way I recommend the beans from Montana Coffee Traders, a small roaster up in the Flathead Valley.) I rotate between a superautomatic espresso machine, a French press, a vacuum pot, and an old-fashioned percolator.

Hardly ever go to coffee shops ... I don't need all those weird, sugary artificial flavors in my coffee. And Starbucks especially sucks.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I switched over to cold brew about 4 years ago. I couldn't take the acid in regular coffee. I usually use Kirkland brand dark roast. But I'll buy Peet's when it's on sale at the grocery store.

·
Banned
604 Posts
Love it when I get up to counter and order a cup "of the strongest, black, plain coffee you have"
Grumpaw :dizzy:
You seem to be a friend of "coffee for resurrection", where the spoon almost stands in the cup. :icon_e_biggrin:

At my home we still drink boringly normal drip brew with a good dash of coffee cream, but without sugar and not too strong.
In restaurants and coffee shops we try to get the same but that's not always easy nowadays.
We don't like all that modern gubbins like Latte macchiato, Espresso ASO.
The brand at home is Melitta, but this brand is most probably unknown in North America.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Currently grinding Kirkland Costa Rica beans but most often Kicking Horse 454 Horse Power, Kick *** or Grizzly law; sometimes Three Sisters or Z-Wrangler. It’s rare I stray from the brand, even after Lavazza bought it.

Outside of home, I split between McDonald’s and what’s both the best via brainwashing and worst, via everything else, coffee in Canada, Tim Horton’s. Can’t stand Starbucks but Second Cup is OK every now and then.

Follow up questions for everybody; what’s your home brewer?

I have a Technivorm KBGT-741, best and most consistent coffee brew I’ve ever had.

·
Registered
494 Posts
It depends. Most days it's the Koffee Kult dark roast, we buy 5# bags fir the Gaggia Espresso Machine. In the French press at the office with started using Black Insomnia which us sooo smooth & has quite the kick.i just picked up a few bags of 802 Coffee this week to try.

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek Sport 6 MT
3,343 Posts
Kicking Horse Hoodoo Jo

Robust, Wild Berry, Distinctive
Spin doctors and crankers, rejoice. Hoodoo Jo puts the pedal to the mettle, drives the wheel and rolls comfortably along the edge. Taste the Hoodoo’s power, and the light will shine within.

French Press Yummy:blowup:

Subaru Powered by Kicking Horse :eusa_clap:

Troutbum

·
Registered
221 Posts
Kicking Horse seems to be popular here. Good. I love their Kick *** Roast on the weekends in my coffee press because its so bold mordant. During the week, I'm lazy and just pop President's Choice Espresso Aromatico Lungo cartridges the Nespresso machine at work.

·
Registered
289 Posts
The problem, for me, with the "pod" machines, is that they makes such little itty bitty cups of coffee. I'd need at least 3 pods just to equal what my cup holds....I'd go broke buyin pods.
Wife has one but she usually only drinks 2 cups daily. I drink 2 pots daily. First pot starts at 5:30 and is gone by 6:30. Second pot around an hour later.
Grumpaw

1 - 20 of 208 Posts