Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, the past few days I have noticed my clutch slipping in 6th gear at highway speeds. I have 56k miles on it and have owned it for about the past 6K miles. How similar is the clutch replacement compared to the generation before? As well as does anyone have any recommendations for brands for the replacement clutch? I am most likely just going to play it safe and get a new flywheel while I am in there.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
978 Posts
You should still be covered under the powertrain warranty. Get your local Subaru dealers to take a look at it.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Your previous owner is making the CVT look better everyday haha.

sounds like they don’t know how to drive one properly.

·
Registered
596 Posts
You should still be covered under the powertrain warranty. Get your local Subaru dealers to take a look at it.
Isn't the clutch considered a "wear" item

Reactions: DieselDorf

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
13,234 Posts
No, the clutch is not covered under the powertrain warranty:

Powertrain Coverage Components:
Engine
Engine block and all internal parts
Cylinder heads and valve trains
Oil pump, oil pan
Timing belts or gears and cover
Water pump
Flywheel
Intake and exhaust manifolds
Oil seals and gaskets

Isn't the clutch considered a "wear" item
Yes. Brakes and clutches are covered under the basic factory warranty but that's only 3yr/36K. Surprisingly, also wiper blades (not many people, including dealers, are aware of this):

Wear Item Limited Warranty
WEAR ITEM COVERAGE is 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Items covered are brake pad/shoe linings, clutch linings, and wiper blades.

Reactions: Marty1

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'd stick with factory parts for replacement. It's a good idea to replace the flywheel as the flex section is probably shot and unbalanced by now. The surface is probably scored as well, best not doing the job 2x. With the flywheel off, gives you a good idea what the RMS looks like(might be worth replacing while in there).
regards

·
Prefers black cats
13,234 Posts
I'd stick with factory parts for replacement. It's a good idea to replace the flywheel as the flex section is probably shot and unbalanced by now. The surface is probably scored as well, best not doing the job 2x. With the flywheel off, gives you a good idea what the RMS looks like(might be worth replacing while in there).
regards
Good point, although if the OP is within the powertrain warranty the flywheel would be covered but not the clutch lining. I wonder how they handle that at dealers? By the time they've disassembled everything to get to the clutch, the labor costs probably far exceed the cost of a new flywheel.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
978 Posts

Engine
Oil pump, oil pan
Water pump
Flywheel
Oil seals and gaskets

Yes. Brakes and clutches are covered under the basic factory warranty but that's only 3yr/36K. Surprisingly, also wiper blades (not many people, including dealers, are aware of this):

Interesting... Volkswagen covers the clutch under the powertrain warranty here in Canada.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Good point, although if the OP is within the powertrain warranty the flywheel would be covered but not the clutch lining. I wonder how they handle that at dealers? By the time they've disassembled everything to get to the clutch, the labor costs probably far exceed the cost of a new flywheel.
They will argue it does not need replacement, when @ that mileage, it clearly does(especially for long term reliability). It would be nice if Subaru just covered the part.

·
Prefers black cats
13,234 Posts
Like brakes, the pads are considered a wearing part but the disks are not...

·
Registered
247 Posts

Engine
Oil pump, oil pan
Water pump
Flywheel
Oil seals and gaskets

Unfortunately there's no Wear Item Coverage for Canadian Subarus.
Rectangle Font Circle Parallel Slope

·
Prefers black cats
13,234 Posts
I must admit I was shocked that wiper blades were covered here. Sadly, most dealers don't know (or they do and scam unsuspecting owners)...

·
Prefers black cats
13,234 Posts
We always get the worst stuff. We're at the bottom of the food chain.
Maybe because you're too polite and not as litigious as the US?

• Haha
Reactions: Arthur

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
From what I can see online a 2013-2020 brz clutch will fit on the Crosstrek as well correct??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts