Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

Hope somebody can help me out with this small issue I have with a car I just bought. It's a Subaru XV 6sp manual 2.0i l engine (Australian), 2012 model year, 58k km.
The issue, like in the subject, is that the clutch pedal vibrates. Here are my observations:

* clutch does not make any noises, clutch works fine, never slipped (i've driven it for 200km so far) - no issue with changing gears that i can tell (the clutch seems maybe a bit flimsier than my previous car - a toyota - but driving it more I'm learning it better and seems better)
* the vibration is not felt when clutch activates - only in the first half of pressing the pedal (actually just slightly touching/pressing the pedal you can sense the vibration); from the middle press pedal position onwards there is no vibration
* vibration is not present in neutral (or when engine is off obviously)
* there is no vibration when car is cold, starts maybe about 5 minutes later on
* vibration is worst in 2nd and 3rd gears (around 50km/h maybe worst), I could not feel (or incredibly small) vibration in 5th or 6th gear; I can say that when having >90km/h the vibration is almost not noticeable
* vibration is not always the same - it can vibrate harder now, then 5 minutes later after reaching same gear/speed it might vibrate way less
* i press pedal quickly, and take my foot off slowly, so vibration is most annoying when taking the foot off
* there is less vibration when pressing harder on the acceleration, so vibration is most annoying when gear-breaking

I know close to 0 about cars, but reading in the past couple of days about clutch vibrations makes me think that it's not the clutch that it's the problem but transmission/misalignment - because you can feel the vibration only when it's in gear, and you can't feel it when clutch is activated. Maybe transmission mount? Also, given that there is no vibration on a cold engine - maybe it's because of some fluid (that gets warmed up with the engine)? Maybe the gearbox oil?

I want some opinions to press the issue when I go next to the service, I don't really want them to tell me either that "it's normal to have some vibration" or to replace the clutch, charge me tons of money, and still have the issue :)

Thanks!

PS: also I noticed the stick vibrates when pressing acceleration (different vibration) when in 4th gear and engine is under 2000 rpm (no stick vibration at 2500 or more rpm), but I think this might be normal :D

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I'm sorry I can't help you, but I have to say you have recorded your observations perfectly. If you can easily reproduce this behavior, I'd take it to the dealer to have a look at it. It's an older vehicle so I'm not sure what the warranty will say. Also I don't think any vibration like that is okay, not even for the stick...

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Sounds like tire pressure, tire balance or bad tire. Could also be wheel lug torque or wheel alignment possible slightly off. Two easy tests are to adjust the tire pressure when the tires are cold (not after driving) to 33/32 psi. Also rotate the tires and see if the vibration feel changes.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sounds like a warped clutch, glazed flywheel or pressure plate. Had that happen on a '65 Mustang I owned years ago. Were you in heavy stop and go traffic lately or other situation that would have heated the clutch more than normal? AKA clutch chatter.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Some have reported that the pedals feel like their floating on earlier models. Their's a bulletin on this and the fix is a beef up bolt with a thicker washer built into the bolts head. Not sure if their's 4 or 6 that actually holds the main front support bracket in place, but those are what's needed to be replaced. They redesign the front mounting bolts for securing the front cross member. To eliminate the vibration. STRUCTURE:BODY
TSB #TSB-05-57-14
NHTSA ID #10055443
Date Announced:
FEBRUARY 20 2014
Additional Info:
How to Fix
Summary: SUBARU: A CHANGE HAS BEEN MADE TO THE MOUNTING BOLTS USED FOR SECURING THE FRONT CROSS MEMBER TO THE VEHICLE BODY. THE THICKNESS OF THE FLANGE AT THE BASE OF THE BOLT'S HEX HAS INCREASED TO 5MM. ALSO INCLUDED SUBARU STI/BRZ MODEL YEAR 2014.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
@sflier - The car i just bought, only drove like 200km on it, and the issue was there. Doesn't clutch chatter require some noise as well? In my case, there is no clutch noise. Also, there is no vibration when the clutch engages.

I have my inspection tomorrow, and will raise these issues. Thanks @billybob, I will get them to check those bolts.

I have also noticed that there is no vibration on the pedal w/o a slight press - so the vibration is there when pressing ~2cm - until middle pedal position (when the clutch engages).

Since I've never had a subaru before, can you comment on how smooth the manual should be? My prev Toyota (Yaris) was very smooth (I could match perfectly the rpms when changing gears), the XV one seems more flimsy/rough (also when gear-breaking there is a jolt when taking the foot off clutch pedal). Or maybe I'm still not quite used to it ...

PS: on a subaru, would you recommend 4th gear 2000rpm or 3rd gear 2500-2600 rpm? (that's where the legal limit is here)
I like the 4th gear cause the engine is quieter at 2krpm, but seems a bit under-revved, and in 3rd the engine behaves better (especially when you get a small uphill).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts