Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

101 - 109 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
I bought a 2.5L back in August. Major difference for me, when comparing with my many experiences with the 2L models. (2 close friends have 'em, we've been going on camping trips together for years - hours of driving here in BC, in the mountains - our fave spot is a 5 hour drive before we pull off the paved roads & then its 48km of old logging roads to get to the trailhead...) I always loved everything about their 'treks, except I all too often wanted a bit more power, when it was my turn to drive. That concern is now a thing of the past.

Us Canucks are lucky to have the Outdoor model, as well. (it's what I bought)

From my cold dead hands.

·
Registered
2021/limited/Metallic Grey/2.5LHarmon Kardon/Navi
4 Posts
Hello there, I am interested in the new Crosstrek as my main car. I have a short daily commute and drive mostly on urban roads and some weekends road trip. I test drove the two 2021 engines options and did not feel much difference between the 2.0L and 2.5L. But it was a short test drive and it's hard to get a sense of it . After reading reviews, it seems that some people are finding the 2.0 completely sufficient while others feel it's underpowered. So I am trying to decide between the two and would like to hear from real world drivers. Thank you.
2.5 liter.Your getting the Forester engine in a smaller package.

·
Registered
2021 CWP XV Ltd.
94 Posts
I wanted to get a Crosstrek in 2019. Chose not to after test driving. Felt too underpowered compared to my Wrangler. Fastforward 2021, 2.5 made me pull the trigger.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Drove the 2.0 a couple of times and never felt it was underpowered for what it was, just seemed like any other small car where you expect it to not be quick off the line. Just purchased a 2021 Sport and the 2.5 is great! I actually feel as though i have to lighten up on the gas pedal as I find myself driving faster than I need to (came from a Tacoma with 286 hp, but a lot more weight to push forward). Wife drove it (she has a GLA 250 w/ 221 hp) and she felt the power in the CT was great.

There were some better option with the 2.5, it was at a price point i was looking for, and i figured when it did come time to sell the 2.5 would be the preferred version in a few years.
Overall I’m very pleased with the car and the engine!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Go with 2.5L if you can afford it. It will add resale value to offset the initial price tag, better acceleration, a better CVT mapping, and almost same gas mileage. I have both and those who says it don’t matter are full of it. If not all the complaints for the 2.0 L eng. why Subaru bothers to put the forester eng in it and eats into forester market share?

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
10,807 Posts
If not all the complaints for the 2.0 L eng. why Subaru bothers to put the forester eng in it and eats into forester market share?
Pandering to the U.S. market, perhaps? In the U.K. and Europe, the 2.0L is an upgrade from the 1.6L...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Most likely if I was younger the 2.5 would be the bomb. I have yet to be placed in a position where I felt my 2.0 was underpowered and I live at 6600 feet above sea level. If I were to buy a Crosstrek today, I would not have an engine choice as the Limited only comes with the 2.5 and that's the one with LED lights.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Pandering to the U.S. market, perhaps? In the U.K. and Europe, the 2.0L is an upgrade from the 1.6L...
They certainly pander to the US market. It's 66% of their business so they do things the Americans want (turbo Outback and soon to be wilderness editions of the Forester and Outback). Would be nice to see a wilderness edition of the Crosstrek.

101 - 109 of 109 Posts