Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there, I am interested in the new Crosstrek as my main car. I have a short daily commute and drive mostly on urban roads and some weekends road trip. I test drove the two 2021 engines options and did not feel much difference between the 2.0L and 2.5L. But it was a short test drive and it's hard to get a sense of it . After reading reviews, it seems that some people are finding the 2.0 completely sufficient while others feel it's underpowered. So I am trying to decide between the two and would like to hear from real world drivers. Thank you.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Stick shift 2.0L has been fine for me, but not "sporty". I live at high elevation, so it has less hp than at sea level. I chose the manual transmission for fun but primarily for long term reliability. CVT transmissions have spotty records so far.

The added power of a larger engine is only a factor when one wants more than what they already have. Meaning, there are few times we actually max out our engine's power. Getting on the highway or going up a steep highway mountain pass are 2 examples. Another is at low rpm and wanting to accelerate, such as pulling out of a parking lot onto a city street. Yes, I have run into these limitations with my 2.0L. Given the option for a larger 2.5L, assuming I could keep the manual transmission, I absolutely would take it. But I would not trade the engine if it meant having the CVT.

jmho

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,253 Posts
I find the 2.0 more than adequate. However, if you are going to be frequently driving with a heavy load or at high altitude you may want to opt for the 2.5. Fuel economy is roughly the same with both engines. The 2.0 may be less stressful on some components such as engine mounts.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Had a '18 with the 2.0l and now have the '21 with the 2.5l. Big difference and the sport mode just makes it even better. The engine was big part of the reason that I got the '21. The 2.0l is adequate but the 2.5l fits the car much better.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
10,754 Posts
We've had the 2.0l for over three years and it's fine. In Europe they have a 1.6l and the 2.0l is the upgrade. I guess Subaru bowed to the demands of the U.S. for bigger engines...

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hello there, I am interested in the new Crosstrek as my main car. I have a short daily commute and drive mostly on urban roads and some weekends road trip. I test drove the two 2021 engines options and did not feel much difference between the 2.0L and 2.5L. But it was a short test drive and it's hard to get a sense of it . After reading reviews, it seems that some people are finding the 2.0 completely sufficient while others feel it's underpowered. So I am trying to decide between the two and would like to hear from real world drivers. Thank you.
Is it worth the $3,000 to get the 2.5 over the 2.0? That's works out to $100 a pony. If so, pony up.

Also note no manny tranny with the Sport, so no Ricky Racer driving.

Based my numerating on the 2021 Crosstrek Premium vs the 2021 Crosstrek Sport MSRPs without add-ons/options.

After my 2003 2.5 TS wagon was stolen in 2011, I thoroughly investigated picking up a new Crosstrek, but thought the 2.0 liter was a bit too tepid after the 2.5 in my Impreza, the styling was a bit bland, and the interior was kinda chintzy plasticey. So I opted for a 2004 Forester, XS Premium with the 2.5. If the 2.5 would have been in the Crosstrek back then (which it SHOULD HAVE stupid Subaru), MAYBE I could have been swayed.

·
Registered
Crosstrek Outdoor, Subaru Legacy 2.0 GT spec.B
251 Posts
Coming from the UK and leaving behind a 335bhp JDM Legacy wagon I was quite keen to get the bigger engine - it's great - but to be honest we don't really need it the way we drive here... It's nice to have the extra power 'in-hand' though.- it's definitely not a 'fast car' though even with the 2.5 - would love one with an STi engine :cool: I do really like the car though - more than I thought I would - it was a choice that ticked most of the practical boxes for what we need just now - but we are growing into it!
Most of the reviews on the earlier Crosstreks absolutely loved it and the only 'nice to have' that most of them commented on was that it was lacking in power in some situations... I guess I'll never know :ROFLMAO:

·
Needs a Butch car
2020 Crosstrek Premium
754 Posts
Agree with Bill. The 2.0 is fine. Use all of the gas pedal
My thought exactly.

If I'm being completely honest, I'd be very tempted to get the Sport if I was buying today, and I'm not sure which one I'd land on. It would probably come down to whether the Softex is too much like leather, because I much prefer cloth seats.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
10,754 Posts
Coming from the UK and leaving behind a 335bhp JDM Legacy wagon I was quite keen to get the bigger engine - it's great - but to be honest we don't really need it the way we drive here... It's nice to have the extra power 'in-hand' though.- it's definitely not a 'fast car' though even with the 2.5 - would love one with an STi engine :cool: I do really like the car though - more than I thought I would - it was a choice that ticked most of the practical boxes for what we need just now - but we are growing into it!
Most of the reviews on the earlier Crosstreks absolutely loved it and the only 'nice to have' that most of them commented on was that it was lacking in power in some situations... I guess I'll never know :ROFLMAO:
Also coming from the UK...

I've owned four V12 Jaguars and a ridiculously fast XKR with a supercharged V8. We're now very happy with our 2.0l Crosstrek - it's more than capable, around town and off road. What are you compensating for? 😸

·
Prefers non-orange cars
10,754 Posts
Maybe we should ask what YOU were compensating for with all those V12 Jags! ;)
Ha, ha! I got over it... 😸

But I'm looking for an Esprit right now. S4 or later, with a V8. Any suggestions?

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
4,234 Posts
An Esprit? Nah ... I'd see you more as the guy behind the wheel of an MG TD, or something ... :p

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I appreciate all the comments and opinions. It seems that most people with the 2.0 are fine with it, until they trade-in for the newer engine. I was actually interested to know if the owners of the 2.0 engine were sometime hoping for more power in their daily drive? city or highway.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mine is a 2.0. I would have coughed up the extra if they offered the 2.5 in my country. Yes the 2.0 is very adequate for daily driving, but if you plan on going off roading a bit the extra power and torque, can help you along if you have to crawl up a rocky incline with ruts.

Plus I mean you can't go wrong with extra power right?

1 - 20 of 109 Posts