Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2018 Crosstrek is doing the exact same thing. Don't really want to go to dealer, but seeing as its still under warranty I will

·
Registered
60 Posts
Do it and get in line. I was putting it off and found myself turning the air off and on only as needed. Kind of nice having air on all the time ... especially driving through the CO mountains.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Finally got my blower motor replaced under warranty. No more noise! This does seem to be a pretty common problem, though. The service manager at my Subaru dealership has an '18 as well and said that hers has been chirping too. She's got a warranty replacement blower coming in for her Trek soon as well...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Where is the blower motor, and what has to be removed to replace it?

·
Registered
47 Posts
just had mine replaced for this exact issue.

Part took like 5 or 6 weeks to come in.

Total repair time was less than 45 minutes from when I dropped off the car. Apparently they designed the fan to be easy to swap out.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Brought my 2018 in because the fan was making a high pitch sound. I could not hear at all. My daughter's both said they could hear. There is proof that as we get older some high frequency sounds become inaudible to us. I brought the car in today and said the fan is making a high pitch sound. Service guy said there is a TSB out for the fan motor Recall and ordered one for my 2018. I could not hear the sound for the life of me. I kept asking my girls can you hear it now...lol and they just kept saying yes dad. I honestly could have passed on taking it in because as far as I was concerned there was no sound. My girls even recorded the sound and said "hear it now?" Nope !

·
Registered
55 Posts
Fan is located directly under the passenger footwell. Just have to pry off panel above footwell (3 click pins), disconnect electrical connector to the fan motor, and remove 3 mounting screws to remove the fan. I took mine out, opened up the plastic housing and squirted some lube in it. It worked for a couple of weeks, until yesterday when I heard the chirping again........

What makes people think that having the motor replaced will solve the problem? Was there any design changes to the Denso fan motor assy? I bet the dealers you took your cars to have absolutely no clue......

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
What makes people think that having the motor replaced will solve the problem? Was there any design changes to the Denso fan motor assy? I bet the dealers you took your cars to have absolutely no clue......
I don't really care what they may or may not have changed. If the noise goes away I'm a happy camper. If not, next time I'm up there they can look at it again. Unless someone knows of a better fix, clue me in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have this really annoying high pitch chirp coming from the AC fan at slower speeds. If I turn up the speed it goes away and when I turn it down it takes a minute or to before it comes back. It’s really annoying. The car is still under warranty but if there’s a simple fix to try I’d rather go that route than deal with the dealership that is an hour away

I've seen this happen before when you park by or under trees, the debri from the trees can get inside the openings and lodge in the blower motor fan housing and rubs against the fan. just a thought....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just to add a thought. When I first bought the the car, the A/C was not blowing cold air. It was pretty terrible in my opinion compared to other cars. When I brought it up, people said it was because it’s a budget car. I thought to myself, 20K+ car is not a budget car but I said cool and moved on. (Also my friend has a 2016 crosstrek and it does blow cold air so I thought it was strange) Second summer of having this car, it started making the chirping noise. I took it to the dealer and fixed that specific sound and it did not make the noise again BUT my A/C started blowing cold air right after the fix. It’s only from 2018 crosstrek and I’m starting to think that some bad batch of blower motors just creeped into crosstrek 2018 assembly line..

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Had the HVAC motor replaced today because of a high pitch whine. I couldn't hear it but (too many concerts I guess). My younger daughter's said it sounded like a dental drill...

Reactions: AstroKats

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,230 Posts
Had the HVAC motor replaced today because of a high pitch whine. I couldn't hear it but (too many concerts I guess). My younger daughter's said it sounded like a dental drill...
LOL, the kids can hear higher frequencies... D

Reactions: Seattle

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been noticing this in my 2018 Crosstrek for a while. I've asked the service department to look into it the last three times I was in for an appointment and nothing has been done. I had to go in today for a recall (and they had run out of the parts and didn't call me) and asked them a 4th time about it, made the guy sit in my car and listen until he heard it, and he said that they could schedule an appointment but now my bumper-to-bumper warranty has ended. Does anyone know how much it's roughly going to cost me to get rid of this noise driving me insane? Or do I need to just live with it at this point.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,230 Posts
I've been noticing this in my 2018 Crosstrek for a while. I've asked the service department to look into it the last three times I was in for an appointment and nothing has been done. I had to go in today for a recall (and they had run out of the parts and didn't call me) and asked them a 4th time about it, made the guy sit in my car and listen until he heard it, and he said that they could schedule an appointment but now my bumper-to-bumper warranty has ended. Does anyone know how much it's roughly going to cost me to get rid of this noise driving me insane? Or do I need to just live with it at this point.
If it's an 18, it should still be under warranty. And, besides, if you reported it while it was under warranty and they couldn't fix it, then it still should be covered. Seems like you need to find another dealer...

Btw, what recalls did you get and what parts were out of stock? Just curious.

Reactions: Dezlboy

·
Registered
5 Posts
If it's an 18, it should still be under warranty. And, besides, if you reported it while it was under warranty and they couldn't fix it, then it still should be covered. Seems like you need to find another dealer...

Btw, what recalls did you get and what parts were out of stock? Just curious.
I reported it three times before today but they never documented it in the paperwork so if it's not under warranty, I feel like I'm probably screwed. I had two recalls done last month, one for PCV valve and hose and the other for the ignition coil. Today's was supposed to be for brake hose swelling (but they ran out of parts yesterday).

Just checked my service agreement. I purchased the Gold Plus 5yrs/100,000 miles. I don't actually know what that entails. I have just over 45k miles on my vehicle.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,230 Posts
I reported it three times before today but they never documented it in the paperwork so if it's not under warranty, I feel like I'm probably screwed. I had two recalls done last month, one for PCV valve and hose and the other for the ignition coil. Today's was supposed to be for brake hose swelling (but they ran out of parts yesterday).

Just checked my service agreement. I purchased the Gold Plus 5yrs/100,000 miles. I don't actually know what that entails. I have just over 45k miles on my vehicle.
If you exceeded the 3yr/36K miles then that could do it.

However, if you reported the problem BEFORE 36K miles then you could have a case. Have you tried contacting SOA (or telling your dealer that you will)?

The Gold Plus should cover almost everything (we have that). So I'm VERY interested in what you find out! ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you exceeded the 3yr/36K miles then that could do it.

However, if you reported the problem BEFORE 36K miles then you could have a case. Have you tried contacting SOA (or telling your dealer that you will)?

The Gold Plus should cover almost everything (we have that). So I'm VERY interested in what you find out! ?
Forgive my ignorance; what is SOA?

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,230 Posts
Forgive my ignorance; what is SOA?
No apology necessary! It's Subaru of America - that bothers me because it's really Subaru of the USA, not all of North or South America...

You're in the US, so they may be able to help!

41 - 60 of 68 Posts