Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
My hearing is not what it once was...LOL I almost accused my wife of hearing things then my two boys said they also heard the same sound. Once I got close to the unit I then could hear the sound. When I took it to the dealer I still could not hear the sound from the drover seat, bu the service person stated he did hear the sound and even heard a sound when he shut the unit off. They stated the blower motor was bad, I believe this is almost a defect cause I have read about this in other social media sites/forums and with the part being backordered till the end of this month I believe I'm right. Hopefully I'll get mine replaced at least by the end of January bringing of February. I will add that I can now hear the whining sound or what ever sound it's supposed to be.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I finally got a chance to take mine in last week. They confirmed it was the motor. It didn’t seem to be to bad if a wait for the part. It wasn’t in stock but it was less than a week to get thenoart and I am scheduled to have it installed tomorrow.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mine was in the shop for an oil change and I had them look at the fan (had to schedule an appointment for them to look). Had no issues replicating the noise and a new blower motor is on order and just a few days out. We'll see of the outcome but seems like with my experience and others, Subaru is aware and replacing without too many questions.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I finally got a chance to take mine in last week. They confirmed it was the motor. It didn’t seem to be to bad if a wait for the part. It wasn’t in stock but it was less than a week to get thenoart and I am scheduled to have it installed tomorrow.
I got there, they took it in am came back out 20 minutes later to te me the part wasn’t in. The “new guy” didn’t check to see if it was on back order before scheduling my appointment they said they would call me to schedule an appointment when the part was in.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I got there, they took it in am came back out 20 minutes later to te me the part wasn’t in. The “new guy” didn’t check to see if it was on back order before scheduling my appointment they said they would call me to schedule an appointment when the part was in.
I was told it was on a nation wide back order till the end of the month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just had my blower motor replaced this morning after about a 2 month wait for the part. I called the dealership last week and the parts guy said the part was still showing back-ordered and he would have to give Subaru a call. He did and called me back and said that the motors were being held for some reason but he was able to get one released for me. It arrived a couple days later and I scheduled the install for this morning. It's been nice not to hear the chirping driving around today. The dealership also upgraded my HU firmware to the latest version.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This makes me LIVID.

I took my brand new Crosstrek in on Nov 2, and they confirmed the blower needed replacement. 68 days more of driving my brand new car with a screeching HVAC system, and still no fan.

Apparently the "backorder" isn't nationwide, since some folks are posting here that their blowers are getting replaced. That sure makes me think my local dealer doesn't give a flip.

Definitely not feeling the Subaru love.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hey all, I recorded this today and believe it is the same issue? Might be tough yo hear but you can definitely hear it in the end especially turning it off.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I've done this in many previous cars with good results. In a well ventilated area, remove the cabin filter. Spray silicone into filter area with the motor on. This is flammable, so be careful.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Has anyone found out what the real issue is? What makes you think that replacing the motor will fix the chirping? How do you know that the fan motor supplier actually did a design change to the motor? Kinda sounds like the definition of insanity.....

·
Registered
99 Posts
My '18 Premium does this too. I noticed it almost as soon as I bought it ten months ago. Fortunately I rarely drive without music loud enough to drown it out, but if this is something they'll fix under warranty, I'll definitely be looking into it at some point before my warranty expires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The noise was driving me crazy so I took it in. I was worried the tech couldn't replicate it since it was intermittent, but they had no trouble finding it. Replaced the HVAC blower motor under warranty.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Blower motor replaced! No noise. The HU updated appears to be the same we all downloaded earlier this month or lat last month. If I'm wrong about the HU update someone please let me know.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,214 Posts
Blower motor replaced! No noise. The HU updated appears to be the same we all downloaded earlier this month or lat last month. If I'm wrong about the HU update someone please let me know.
You can check the firmware. For an '18 it should be the same as in our sig line (unless you got a secret new version)!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm happy to hear that replacing the blower motor is fixing this issue... my '18 Premium has had this issue since September and the part just came in last week, Appointment set for tomorrow to replace it and update the head unit software.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,214 Posts
I'm happy to hear that replacing the blower motor is fixing this issue... my '18 Premium has had this issue since September and the part just came in last week, Appointment set for tomorrow to replace it and update the head unit software.
Welcome! Let us know which firmware version you get...

Reactions: mcniggle

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome! Let us know which firmware version you get...
New blower motor in, so far so good. Chirping is gone, blower seems to work better than before. Also got the HU firmware update, which the dealer told me wouldn't do much to the Premium HU. Software Version: Rel_U0.18.43.20. So far I've noticed the volume adjustment graphic dial on screen is about 25% larger, Android Auto Amazon Music and Pandora interfaces are redesigned for the better, and Google Maps shows the speed limit on highways. Seems less glitchy and faster overall. Dealer guy said it should fix XM channel preset storing issues for those who ponied up for the Limited trim.

If anyone out there is stuck waiting for a blower motor... mine came in about three days after I wrote a complaint email to Subaru Customer Relations. Coincidence? Maybe. ;-D

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,214 Posts
New blower motor in, so far so good. Chirping is gone, blower seems to work better than before. Also got the HU firmware update, which the dealer told me wouldn't do much to the Premium HU. Software Version: Rel_U0.18.43.20. So far I've noticed the volume adjustment graphic dial on screen is about 25% larger, Android Auto Amazon Music and Pandora interfaces are redesigned for the better, and Google Maps shows the speed limit on highways. Seems less glitchy and faster overall. Dealer guy said it should fix XM channel preset storing issues for those who ponied up for the Limited trim.

If anyone out there is stuck waiting for a blower motor... mine came in about three days after I wrote a complaint email to Subaru Customer Relations. Coincidence? Maybe. ;-D
Thanks!

The speed limit indicator is an Android update that just happened. The fix to the XM channel presets was the big one, unless you previously had a much older version.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts