Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this really annoying high pitch chirp coming from the AC fan at slower speeds. If I turn up the speed it goes away and when I turn it down it takes a minute or to before it comes back. It’s really annoying. The car is still under warranty but if there’s a simple fix to try I’d rather go that route than deal with the dealership that is an hour away

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
When in doubt, (get it) check(ed) it out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have this really annoying high pitch chirp coming from the AC fan at slower speeds. If I turn up the speed it goes away and when I turn it down it takes a minute or to before it comes back. It’s really annoying. The car is still under warranty but if there’s a simple fix to try I’d rather go that route than deal with the dealership that is an hour away
I have this annoying high pitched noise coming from my AC fan as well. I don't know if it's worth having the dealership tear into the dash though...my experience with big, extensive repair jobs is that things never go back together as good and tight as from the factory. I feel like this would be one of those jobs. I could be completely wrong though since I don't know what it takes to get to the fan.
If you do take it in I would be VERY interested with what they have to say.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Does the noise persist when the fan is on but the AC is not? Getting at the blower motor isn’t an issue and a service should be as secure as factory install.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Does the noise persist when the fan is on but the AC is not? Getting at the blower motor isn’t an issue and a service should be as secure as factory install.
I only notice it when the AC is on and the fan is blowing at a slow speed....just like Wvphysics described. If i click the AC off I can hear the high pitch sound slowly wind down (like whatever is making the noise is spinning down to a stop) while the blower fan is still on. So, I would say it has something to do specifically with the AC.

EDIT: I listened again and I retract my statement that it is something to do specifically with the AC. I can hear the noise whether the AC is on or not. It's the blower fan as Wvphysics describes.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I only notice it when the AC is on and the fan is blowing at a slow speed....just like Wvphysics described. If i click the AC off I can hear the high pitch sound slowly wind down (like whatever is making the noise is spinning down to a stop) while the blower fan is still on. So, I would say it has something to do specifically with the AC.
Mine is affected by fan speed. Mine seems to be like a squeak in the blower. I’m wondering if some oil would fix it.

·
Super Moderator
8,379 Posts
Mine is affected by fan speed. Mine seems to be like a squeak in the blower. I’m wondering if some oil would fix it.
I've removed the blower motor before and it's not to hard to do it as it's just a few screws from the underside of the motor. However, I did not remove the plastic casing to get to the actual motor itself. Generally, in these types of things, the bearings are sealed so you might have a hard time getting lubricate into the bearings.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Also, that’s a lot of work for warranty.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Harmonics can be culprit here too. Regardless, it will need to be accessed to troubleshoot and fix. Period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the same sound and notice that it's getting worse. Regardless of Heat or AC. It started at a medium speed where the noise was. Now it's all the time and the pitch is not great. I am taking it in to have it serviced to see if it can be fixed.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the same sound and notice that it's getting worse. Regardless of Heat or AC. It started at a medium speed where the noise was. Now it's all the time and the pitch is not great. I am taking it in to have it serviced to see if it can be fixed.
Let me know how it goes. I’ve been traveling for work and haven’t been able to take it in. My guess is like stated above that it’s the bearing in the blower motor. Funny enough, I’ve noticed it gets worse when I turn one direction and less turning the other. I’m guessing the weight of the blower putting more or less pressure on it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Let me know how it goes. I’ve been traveling for work and haven’t been able to take it in. My guess is like stated above that it’s the bearing in the blower motor. Funny enough, I’ve noticed it gets worse when I turn one direction and less turning the other. I’m guessing the weight of the blower putting more or less pressure on it.
Might that mean one of more of the fan mounting screws are just loose, so the motor shifts causing the blades to click against interference (vs the bearings squealing)?

I just throw that out there because it sounds like an easy fix and could explain why it’s reported occurring on other cars, too (e.g., wrong torque spec during assembly).

Of course, the same could be theorized for a bad batch of fan motor bearings, too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2018 crosstrek had the same issue. It sounded sort of like crickets at medium fan speed. My dealership replaced the fan motor under warranty. No chirping sounds since then.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been having the same issue. I had a dealer take a look at it last week. Unfortunately, they couldn't duplicate at the time. Of course, it's started up again, so that's pretty annoying.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm about to shoot my fan. Any speed hot or cold it whistles. Good to see others have had it taken care of under warranty. Looks like I'll add it to my list next oil change.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I told my dealership about the fan whine during an oil change today, and they replaced the fan motor without any argument. Ah!!! Sweet silence.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Same issue, had a pre-scheduled appointment for tomorrow to have it blower motor replaced. I called to verify part was in, parts manager told me it still on backorder, not expected till the end of January. I hope it keeps working though the winter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
2018 Crosstrek- same issue. Just started for me, at the lower speeds the fan makes a high pitched chirping as well... See what the dealer says...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Same issue on my 2018 Limited. It's been happening for the last couple of months and I took it to the dealer yesterday to get it looked at. Of course they couldn't replicate it. I guess I'll try to get a video of it happening and try with them again...

1 - 20 of 65 Posts