Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1161 - 1180 of 1194 Posts

· Registered
2018 Lifted 6-speed Crosstrek
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,167 ·
Been a crazy few days..
Wife picked up her new car that we ordered a month ago.

2022 Kia Telluride

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Wolf Grey with the nightfall package. Had it for less than a day and then dropped it off Monday morning at our friends shop (Detail Maniac) for the front end to get clear bra.

· Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,168 ·
Friday, an oil light popped up on the Trek.. oil level light (not oil pressure - two different lights).
I checked the oil level, and it was low, but still above the low mark. Topped it off a bit (due for an oil change in the next 500 miles) but the light did not go away. Found the reset fuse, pulled it and put it in the reset fuse slot, light turned off.

Drove the nugget to daycare the following day and all was well. Driving back home from dropping him off, the light came back on. Checked around and nothing obvious was wrong. Hit up my old roommate and still really close friend (he was a master Subaru tech for 15 or so years). He said that the oil level sensor in the upper oil pan tend to go out/ get stuck.... great. He said it's fine to keep driivng the car till it gets fixed, but check the oil level even more often than normal.

The oil level sensor is installed on the "upper" oil pan, above a motor mount.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Vehicle Trunk

That's it circled in red.. here is a zoomed in pic

Automotive tire Wood Bumper Gas Tints and shades

Would have to remove the dogbone, motor mount, and more than likely headers to get to it... he said he would help and we scheduled a date to do it end of June when we both have some free time.
I did the fuse reset again for giggles, we'll see what if anything happens.

· Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,170 ·
that looks like... a lot of mechanic hours to get to.
Yea....Im sure at a shop, it would be faster for a tech to disconnect wires/hoses and just pull the motor out since they have car lifts and motor lifts.
Friend said to set aside the majority of a day to do it in the garage on our backs... thankful he's willing to help out! I figure the night before i would get it up on jacks, and remove my bumper bar, and the header exhaust to speed up the following day.

Though, I just got home from dropped the nug off at daycare. Light didnt come on heading there, or home... so not sure if there was a fluke, or the sensor is just on it's way out. Luckily i've got 3.5 weeks before our scheduled repair weekend. So can keep driving it to see if it start happening again or not.

· Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,171 ·
Also, this is the oil level light that came on (my picture)

Speedometer Car Odometer Light Gauge

It's the "better" oil light to come on.

This light (without the squiggles under it)
Font Tints and shades Automotive design Symbol Cross
is the oil pressure light... way worse if that comes on..
(pic from the interwebz)

· Registered
2020 Crosstrek Premium 6MT
430 Posts
i'm live at 135' and i go up near 12k' in the white mountains and hike. i'm just grateful i don't get elevation sickness!
I used to love watching the flatlanders come into town and try hiking the trails at the Bristlecone Visitor's Center. Growing up at 5100 ft. helped my lungs develop larger so the altitude doesn't affect me quite as bad as other people. However, this getting old stuff is starting to make up for it!

· Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,174 ·
Few days shy of a month, have only driven 147 miles lol, but the light has still not come back on. Wondering if since it was low, maybe went around a corner hard and the level dipped.. but fluke non the less it seems!

· He wasn't there!
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
2,227 Posts
Few days shy of a month, have only driven 147 miles lol, but the light has still not come back on. Wondering if since it was low, maybe went around a corner hard and the level dipped.. but fluke non the less it seems!
The brake light will also come on if the parking brake has not released 100%. Could the handle have been in the wrong position?

· Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,176 ·
The brake light will also come on if the parking brake has not released 100%. Could the handle have been in the wrong position?
Not the brake light, but low oil level light. Started in post 1168. The couple posts up was just from my oil change ;)

· Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,177 ·
No major updates but Sept marks 5 years since I bought the Trek.

First 2.5 years (Sept 2017 - March 2020) I put on 41,8XX miles. Driving a minimum of 66 miles round trip to/from work a day. ~16,7XX miles a year
2nd 2.5 years (March 2020- Sept 2022) I put on 12,0XX miles. WFH and averaging going into the office once a month. ~ 4,800 miles a year
Trek is sitting at 53,8XX right now

· Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,178 ·
Trek was feeling lonely not getting put to use other than nugget pick ups and drop offs.

Been spending a lot more time that I should have been riding mtb, so I am FINALLY starting work on the office/shed. The truck has no real easy way to transport lumber over 8ft long - 12ft if you want to push it a little.

So for all the super long stuff, I brought the Trek to throw up on the roof.
Wheel Tire Plant Land vehicle Car

2x12 16ft x2
2x12 8ft x2
2x4 16ft x7
2x4 12ft x3

I then took the truck over later that day and picked up 40+ 2x4 8ft long and 12ft long boards
Road surface Stairs Wood Brickwork Floor

· He wasn't there!
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
2,227 Posts
Trek was feeling lonely not getting put to use other than nugget pick ups and drop offs.

Been spending a lot more time that I should have been riding mtb, so I am FINALLY starting work on the office/shed. The truck has no real easy way to transport lumber over 8ft long - 12ft if you want to push it a little.

So for all the super long stuff, I brought the Trek to throw up on the roof.
View attachment 313054

2x12 16ft x2
2x12 8ft x2
2x4 16ft x7
2x4 12ft x3

I then took the truck over later that day and picked up 40+ 2x4 8ft long and 12ft long boards
View attachment 313055

I fail to understand not being able to carry lumber in a pickup...

1161 - 1180 of 1194 Posts