Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1061 - 1080 of 1101 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Lifted 6-speed Crosstrek
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,061 ·
Nothing too exciting here.. but I ticked 48,000 miles yesterday.

Wild to think that ive saved over 23,000 miles in the last 19/20 months since working from home.

Last year between mid March and Dec, I went into the office a total of 7 times. Thus far for this year, ive been in 6 times.

·
He wasn't there!
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
1,752 Posts
I go into the office 5 days a week, and haven't yet hit 30k miles on a 2016 car.....

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
13,279 Posts
I go into the office 5 days a week, and haven't yet hit 30k miles on a 2016 car.....
Yup!

We weren't expecting to put a lot of miles on the Crosstrek when we bought it (OAK's commute is 5 miles each way) but we've been on a few long road trips (e.g. 2,600 miles to see the eclipse in Idaho).

The last 18 months have been insane, though, just over 17K miles total on an '18. The other car that I use when OAK is out in the Crosstrek probably has 200 miles since the last smog check a couple of years ago. We've talked about using Uber and Lyft but they're not reliable enough, plus who wants to be in a car with a driver who may have COVID-19 and/or that people who have it just spent half an hour in the car...

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,064 ·
Dang!! How far is your commute? Or do you ride a bike/public transit?

My wife's car is just over 18 months newer than mine, and she still has like 36k on it - though her job is .6 miles from home lol.

·
Prefers black cats
13,279 Posts

My wife's car is just over 18 months newer than mine, and she still has like 36k on it - though her job is .6 miles from home lol.
Can't speak for @Cutlass but OAK is now going in to her office twice a week, up from once every month or so before June. Even so, that's less than 100 miles a month (10 mile roundtrip, 8 or so times a month). Add in Costco, which she often does on the way back from somewhere else, and a few other trips and it adds up to maybe 200/mo. Different times...

·
He wasn't there!
1,752 Posts

It's a 3mile round trip. It was a 20mile round trip 6 years ago, but I was able to transfer to a closer office. Which is saving me a bundle.

The only concern is that the car is shut off again barely after it reaches operating temp twice a day.

🤷‍♂️

Reactions: stupidchicken03

·
Prefers black cats
13,279 Posts
It's a 3mile round trip. It was a 20mile round trip 6 years ago, but I was able to transfer to a closer office. Which is saving me a bundle.

The only concern is that the car is shut off again barely after it reaches operating temp twice a day.

🤷‍♂️
I've tested this and, with ours, the blue water temp light goes out after a few blocks, before we get on the freeway...

·
He wasn't there!
1,752 Posts
I've tested this and, with ours, the blue water temp light goes out after a few blocks, before we get on the freeway...

Outside air temp makes a difference. On really hot days here it goes out pretty quick. Cold days, it can take 5 minutes. Which has me at work.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,069 ·
Yea, peak summer here.. I can pull out of our garage and driveway and the temp light will go out. Winter I have to drive about a mile.

Pre-pandemic I was going into the office 9 days every two weeks (9/80 schedule with every other Fri off) and its ~ 33 miles EACH way.
We've been having return to work discussions and will continue some work from home. I said I could easily come in 2 days a week and 3 if needed. My boss said "hey hey hey, lets slow it down. Lets have you start with 1 day and go from there"... You're the boss! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Blue water temp light just means ‘coolant is really cold’ right? Manual says you can drive off before the light goes out, but it certainly does not seem to indicate ‘operating temp’ which generally means the oil is up to 190-210. Seems to me that the blue light is almost an indication not to drive off yet, to just let the car idle for 30 seconds to let things come up to temp a bit before putting strain on things.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Crosstrek Premium
1,424 Posts
Blue water temp light just means ‘coolant is really cold’ right? Manual says you can drive off before the light goes out, but it certainly does not seem to indicate ‘operating temp’ which generally means the oil is up to 190-210. Seems to me that the blue light is almost an indication not to drive off yet, to just let the car idle for 30 seconds to let things come up to temp a bit before putting strain on things.
Yes and no. blue light does mean coolant is cold, so it turning off does not mean you're up to temp. It is advised to not wring it out with the blue light on, but you're fine to drive it on onramps and the freeway normally. There's no reason to idle it until the light goes off. 30 seconds won't really heat up your oil and entire engine anyways, that takes like ten minutes of driving with load, I'm sure it would be even longer at idle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes and no. blue light does mean coolant is cold, so it turning off does not mean you're up to temp. It is advised to not wring it out with the blue light on, but you're fine to drive it on onramps and the freeway normally. There's no reason to idle it until the light goes off. 30 seconds won't really heat up your oil and entire engine anyways, that takes like ten minutes of driving with load, I'm sure it would be even longer at idle.
Thanks for the clarification! It’s my first car without a coolant gauge and my last car had an oil temp gauge, very weird to only have the idiot lights. I live in Las Vegas so the blue light does go out in the summer in way less than 30 seconds so it will be interesting to see how it acts when it gets cooler

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,073 ·
Yup. For me blue light means easy driving, normally off before I leave our neighborhood onto a major street. Certainly no WOT driving. I do miss a temp gauge like on all my previous cars, but dont care enough to get a sensor/adapter plugged into the OBDII port to monitor 🤣

·
Premium Member
2020 Crosstrek Premium 6MT
220 Posts
My blue light turns off at 120F degrees. Verified with my ScanGauge.

·
He wasn't there!
1,752 Posts
Yea, peak summer here.. I can pull out of our garage and driveway and the temp light will go out. Winter I have to drive about a mile.

Pre-pandemic I was going into the office 9 days every two weeks (9/80 schedule with every other Fri off) and its ~ 33 miles EACH way.
We've been having return to work discussions and will continue some work from home. I said I could easily come in 2 days a week and 3 if needed. My boss said "hey hey hey, lets slow it down. Lets have you start with 1 day and go from there"... You're the boss! :)

Think of all the money you're saving.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,076 ·
Think of all the money you're saving.
I know in 2020 (mid March - Dec) it was just over $2,500 JUST in gas.. plus I called insurance and dropped my mileage down to as low as it could go, so saved a bit more there too :)

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
1061 - 1080 of 1101 Posts