Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

861 - 880 of 916 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Lifted 6-speed Crosstrek
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #862
Also, the loaner I got from the dealer.

For sure feels like a much larger car than the Crosstrek.

The auto-dimming side mirrors are really nice. The blind spot indicators are ok.. not as nice as I thought they would be. They seemed super bright driving early this morning in the dark. MIght not be as bad if the windows were tinted like the Crosstrek is.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #864
How does it feel driving a CVT,... haha.
hahahaha. Not as terrible as I thought it would be.

Im debating if I want my next car (sell the STi, wait 1-2 years, then buy a new DD as the Crosstrek becomes the weekend car) to be an auto/cvt. Purely for commuting as I usually do 64 miles minimum a day.

Ooo another thing I really like about the Fozzy are the LED headlights... That might be a worthy upgrade for the Crosstrek once they start showing up in salvage yards to pull from :)

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
7,026 Posts
Ooo another thing I really like about the Fozzy are the LED headlights... That might be a worthy upgrade for the Crosstrek once they start showing up in salvage yards to pull from :)
Because you don't have enough LEDs on your Crosstrek... 😸

·
Registered
335 Posts
The auto-dimming side mirrors are really nice.
As someone who is fairly light sensitive, the auto-dimming rear and side mirrors was my single favorite add on that I was not originally looking for. They have spoiled me and I will not buy another daily without them. I wonder if your Xtrek is prewired such that you could swap in a junkyard set.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #867
As someone who is fairly light sensitive, the auto-dimming rear and side mirrors was my single favorite add on that I was not originally looking for. They have spoiled me and I will not buy another daily without them. I wonder if your Xtrek is prewired such that you could swap in a junkyard set.
I added the dimming rear-view when I ordered the car, it has been great.

From what I understand, all the cars are wired for auto-dim side mirrors, and they are just controlled by the rear-view. So in theory, Ive already got the controller, should just have to add the goodies on :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
From what I understand, all the cars are wired for auto-dim side mirrors, and they are just controlled by the rear-view. So in theory, Ive already got the controller, should just have to add the goodies on :)
That is definitely correct. My only gripe with the system is that the side mirrors do not dim until the rear-view senses light, thus when passing a car with bright headlights on the highway, the side view does not dim until you are quite a ways past the car that you are passing. But that is definitely a nitpick considering the tech involve and the price point it is provided at.

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
1,941 Posts
How does it feel driving a CVT,... haha.
Good to know!

I also tried out the adaptive cruise control on my way back to the dealer. That was, interesting. Im sure it would take a while to get used to. Wouldnt be terrible for long drives I suppose.
Did it have start/stop?

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
7,026 Posts
Meh.

I dont totally know how it all works, but I would think it would lead to pre-mature wear on components (spark plugs, pistons, starter, etc). I personally wouldnt buy a car with it.
My first experience was an Audi in the UK and I hated it. There was a delay, while the engine started, when trying to merge into traffic...

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
1,941 Posts
Meh.

I dont totally know how it all works, but I would think it would lead to pre-mature wear on components (spark plugs, pistons, starter, etc). I personally wouldnt buy a car with it.
I don't think you are going to have a choice going forward. Looks like pretty well all new cars are going this way. Probably a lot to do with meeting future CAFE regs.

·
Registered
238 Posts
luckily most cars have a way to disable stop/start if it really bothers you. unfortunately it's probably something you have to do every time you start the car. Just add starters to regular maintenance items I guess.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #879
Not done yet, but proof of concept finished..

Bought a few different things and have been cutting/hacking/drilling away. Everything works, but not as my initial idea in my head.. oh well!

Just have to get a larger drill bit for the drill press to finish the holes for the actual tire carrier.

·
Registered
2015 XV Premium, Desert Khaki
90 Posts
Photos aren't working on my end, anyone else see them? I'm waiting in suspense here!

861 - 880 of 916 Posts