Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in Canada. I Have loved my 2021 Crosstrek Limited. This week at 7200KM the check engine and EYE SIGHT lights lit up the dashboard. The dealer has been unable to discover the problem with the available computer resources they have and referred their findings to a head office for help. I was told that the car is safe drive, even without some safety features,
until they come up with as resolve.
I was in the retail car business most of my life and find this a bit hard to swallow.
Has anyone experienced this problem?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
2020 Crosstrek Limited
1,359 Posts
I'm in Canada. I Have loved my 2021 Crosstrek Limited. This week at 7200KM the check engine and EYE SIGHT lights lit up the dashboard. The dealer has been unable to discover the problem with the available computer resources they have and referred their findings to a head office for help. I was told that the car is safe drive, even without some safety features,
until they come up with as resolve.
I was in the retail car business most of my life and find this a bit hard to swallow.
Has anyone experienced this problem?
I believe that they should give you a loaner (with a working EyeSight system) while they figure it out.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek, 2.5 Liter, Pure Red, Limited
432 Posts
I believe that they should give you a loaner (with a working EyeSight system) while they figure it out.
If you're involved in an accident, would they admit telling you that it was safe to drive? I agree with sas-XV. You should be driving a loaner while they figure out what's going on?

Hope this helps!

:)

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek Premium, Sunshine Orange
416 Posts
You can drive your car without Eyesight.
People drove cars for more than a few years without Eyesight or similar technology.
Eyesight can fail without warning, practicing driving without it may help you to maintain skills that save your life some day.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
2020 Crosstrek Limited
1,359 Posts
You can drive your car without Eyesight.
People drove cars for more than a few years without Eyesight or similar technology.
Eyesight can fail without warning, practicing driving without it may help you to maintain skills that save your life some day.
That's true, but the OP has an in warranty 2021 that has failed, and disabled the safety and security features that he has paid for. Subaru should provide a properly working compatible loaner while his is being diagnosed and fixed.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,449 Posts
Your car will still work fine without Eyesight. The whole point of it being off is because there's a pending fault stored in the ECU and it has to be resolved or cleared.

Like others have said, there have been many other vehicles on the road without Eyesight. Your car will still function but without it...

However, the dealership you took it to should've given you a loaner car until they figure out what was wrong with your car. Maybe go back and ask for a loaner?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Eyesight will be disabled if check engine is on. My Outback Wilderness ("upgraded" from 2018 Crosstrek Manual 2.0 in November) is currently at the dealership - close to a month, while they are trying to figure out the Check Engine/Eyesight - I've been driving an Outback Limited Loaner this entire time - have a case opened with Subaru of America - getting close to "lemon" time...

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek Premium, Sunshine Orange
416 Posts
That's true, but the OP has an in warranty 2021 that has failed, and disabled the safety and security features that he has paid for. Subaru should provide a properly working compatible loaner while his is being diagnosed and fixed.
Does the warranty say that the dealer will provide "a properly working compatible loaner while his is being diagnosed and fixed?" I don't recall that in my warranty. OP indicates that the dealer is contacting their support unit for assistance in dealing with this issue. It sounds to me as if the dealer, and Subaru, are taking reasonable steps to fulfill their obligations under the warranty.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
2020 Crosstrek Limited
1,359 Posts
Does the warranty say that the dealer will provide "a properly working compatible loaner while his is being diagnosed and fixed?" I don't recall that in my warranty. OP indicates that the dealer is contacting their support unit for assistance in dealing with this issue. It sounds to me as if the dealer, and Subaru, are taking reasonable steps to fulfill their obligations under the warranty.
Dam Joe, you're more of a contrarian/curmudgeon than I am!

No, I don't believe that it is worded exactly that way in the Subaru warranty, but a good dealership would do it. Mine did, for a courtesy light out in the exterior mirror.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What are the check engine codes? Mine did this and the code showed a plugged evap canister, which is located in the right rear wheel well behind the the wheel well cover. Mouse nest was blocking the evap canister vent, which caused the check engine light. $120 later, the dealer removed the nest and the system was able to vent properly again. I looked all over for the evap canister prior to visiting the dealer but could not locate it as it is hidden in an unlikely area, beneath the gas tank filler tube. Would have been easy to do myself had I known where it was....
Automotive tire Tread Wheel Motor vehicle Alloy wheel

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2021 Crosstrek Limited as well and love it. No trouble with it what so ever. I'm at a little over 16,000 miles (25749+KM). I also agree that they should have given you a loaner just for liability reasons. I know we've all driven vehicles that do not have all the safety features on them. But, the way I see it, If something does go sideways and there's an accident that is deemed preventable by the inoperable safety systems on your Crosstrek..... Well, I'd say law suit. I would go back to the dealership and get that in writing that it's okay to drive your Crosstrek with the inoperable safety feature. I'll bet no one at that dealership will give you anything in writing that it's okay to drive it. Then demand a loaner. You'll probably get one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Driving along all kinds of Yellow engine lights come on about Eyesite check manual. I Google it and found this Forum. Took gas cap off and out it back on. Drove it once more one less light on. Went out a few hours later everything is normal. Amazing

·
Resident Curmudgeon
2020 Crosstrek Limited
1,359 Posts
Driving along all kinds of Yellow engine lights come on about Eyesite check manual. I Google it and found this Forum. Took gas cap off and out it back on. Drove it once more one less light on. Went out a few hours later everything is normal. Amazing
Could be a warning sign of a dying battery.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just thought I would add my experience here for reference. I'm sitting at dealership right now having a wire repaired that was chewed on by a rodent. $310 repair. I'm lucky, my tech said not too long ago, he had a brand new subaru with 200 miles on it, with all the same issues that mine had with $18,000 worth of damage from rodents!!! I have a Subaru Crosstrek 2022, had check engine/eyesight/rab/all indicators on...also my outside temp wasn't reading..cause: chewed wire measuring outside air temp.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts