Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night after arriving home I had turned off my hybrid crosstrek (2014) and it kept making a continuous high pitched alarm sound, and we could not figure out what it meant. After pushing every button and starting and restarting the car we finally realized that the gear shift was not 100% pushed into park, it was off by maybe a centimeter. Once I pushed it all the way up, the alarm stopped and everything seemed fine. Now this AM when I started the car, the check engine light and the hill assist button came on. (and stayed on) Looking at the manual I saw that by starting the car and pushing the vehicle dynamics control switch off then on that should reactivate the hill start assist, but the warning lights are staying on. I'm assuming these 2 events are related. Yeah, I could take the car into the dealer, but it is such a pain to do that. Any insight for an easy fix or what these lights may mean?

·
Registered
69 Posts
The check engine light (also called a malfunction indicator light, or MIL) could literally mean anything. It could mean something as simple as your gas cap not being tightened all the way, to an issue with the emissions system (unlikely, since your car is brand new).

When the MIL comes on, the car's On Board Diagnostic (OBD) system will generate an error code that a service department can use to determine what the problem is. There are OBD readers that you can purchase to allow you to scan for the codes, which you can then plug into Google for further research. An example of one is here: Amazon.com: OBD2 Reader Car Diagnostic Tool OBD II Code Reader Check Engine Light: Automotive

Alternatively, many dealer service departments and places like AutoZone, Pep Boys, etc. will pull OBD codes for free. Unfortunately there's really no way to determine what the issue is until we know what code(s) the OBD is throwing. See what codes are coming up and let us know...good luck.

Mike

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I have an Ultra Gauge semi permanently hooked up to read a variety of engine gauges and conditions. One of them is check engine codes which allow you to look up (online) what the check engine code is. Also allows you to reset the check engine light. About $60 online only.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
228 Posts
I had to buy a reader for my Blazer as it was constantly throwing codes (I loved that truck but it was a POS from the day I drove it off the lot). Now I've never owned a Sub before, but I'm hoping I won't have the same problem...

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had a similar problem and it was due to noise interference. Techs just reset my codes and did nothing else. Curious if yours is the same.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did anyone ever get an answer? My car has done this twice now. The 1st time I brought it to the dealership and they said a nail stuck in the tread of my tire (not puncturing the tire) was causing a spark, which alarmed the hybrid system, causing the errors. Ok sounded like BS but I bought it. A week later (yesterday) the same lights came on. I checked the tread, nothing. It is at the dealership now, getting looked at again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did anyone ever get an answer? My car has done this twice now. The 1st time I brought it to the dealership and they said a nail stuck in the tread of my tire (not puncturing the tire) was causing a spark, which alarmed the hybrid system, causing the errors. Ok sounded like BS but I bought it. A week later (yesterday) the same lights came on. I checked the tread, nothing. It is at the dealership now, getting looked at again.
so what came of it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
So I hope this helps someone,

I had an issue where (because of a bluetooth ODB2 reader grounding out - long story) the check engine light and the hill assist light stayed on. After looking all over it turns out that it (was for me) is a 7.5 fuse in the fuse panel under the hood. I don't have the location off hand but it is the first fuse from the bumper on the driver side (closest to the wheel well). Just replace it with one of the spares and you should be good to go.

Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
19 Posts
With the negative temperatures we've been experiencing, my car often has all its warnings on throughout the day. I was super alarmed at first since its a brand new car but then noticed that as it warmed up outside, the next time I entered the car, the warnings were off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
With the negative temperatures we've been experiencing, my car often has all its warnings on throughout the day. I was super alarmed at first since its a brand new car but then noticed that as it warmed up outside, the next time I entered the car, the warnings were off.
I'm in Minneapolis and whenever the temperatures hover around or below 0 F my XV Hybrid's computer fritzes out. Foe example, this morning, -2 degrees. I get Hill assist, hybrid, TPMS, AT fluid, ABS, Emissions errors.

Come on subaru, you sell the Hybrid in Minnesota, why isn't this tested more thoroughly before selling in the region? It is frustrating to get in your car and have all these errors.

Yes, most of them clear if the temps rise above say 12, however, with the errors the heated seats, abs, hybrid all non-functional. So 0 degrees and all these features I pay for are non-functional?

It is consistent. Happens every time the temps are low, which is quite frequent here. Anyone have any ideas on paths to resolution?

IMG_3547.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
hill assist light

My check engine and hill assist light cam on for the second time in the last 12 months. First time dealer found no issue and turned off lights. This time they said is a bad switch in the Hill Assist function. Parts on order for 3 days now, and no idea when I will get the car back from the dealer.
Oct 13 2015 while driving on the expressway the lights cam on again. Drove straight to dealer. Delaer kept the car 1 day and said nothing wrong. I must have stepped on the brake and accelerator at the same time causing a system failure. Said I must be driving with one foot on brake and one foot on gas pedal (sure). They cleared the codes. Waiting now for 4th incident, then Subaru will be hearing from me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I am new to this forum and posted this last night on a similar thread here.
I have a 2014 Crosstrek Hybrid with 15,889 miles on it. Brought in May 2015 with 155 miles on it. I am a driver for Lyft(which is a app based ride share program, similar to Uber.) Anyways about a week ago. I just had my 15,000 mile service performed on my car. Which passed with flying colors. Then the next day, the
check engine(emissions sensor) and hill roll back assistant sensor lights come on. I take it back to the dealership and my service tech looks at it and resets the sensors. Saying it is a glitch but if it comes back on to call and come back. 2 days later same sensors come on! The next day I take it in and get a loaner. Here we are 6days later and I get a email stating. 'We have an internal transmission concern, unfortunately- we may this your vehicle for a bit.'(sic) I bought a brand new car to avoid these problems. I am bummed that this is happening again.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Sorry you're having issues. While it's not "normal" to have problems, I must say I'm surprised that after 2 years there have not been any recalls or adjustments with this hybrid. Considering it's their most complex vehicle to date, Subaru either isn't sweating it or they're still trying to figure out what, if anything, needs tweaking.

That said, perhaps you have one of the vehicles exhibiting a problem they've seen often enough to take a closer look at? I've heard of them keeping vehicles longer so that Subaru reps can come and inspect themselves.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you!!

So I hope this helps someone,

I had an issue where (because of a bluetooth ODB2 reader grounding out - long story) the check engine light and the hill assist light stayed on. After looking all over it turns out that it (was for me) is a 7.5 fuse in the fuse panel under the hood. I don't have the location off hand but it is the first fuse from the bumper on the driver side (closest to the wheel well). Just replace it with one of the spares and you should be good to go.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you! I checked the 7.5 fuses in the engine fuse box and nothing looked blown. Changed it out anyway and, VIOLA! Problem solved and no more engine or hill assist lights. Not sure why it was telling me there were emissions and hill assist problems when it was a fuse that had nothing to do with those, but then again, they couldn't make it TOO easy to figure out. LOL.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Heads up--it started with the 7.5 fuse, and progressed to this:
http://www.subaruxvforum.com/forum/xv-hybrid-tech-warranty-issues/143026-lots-blinky-lights.html

I had the same issue/fix with the lights and the fuse in 10/2016. It started reoccurring in 3/2017, and then took a break until 09/2017. This was the "car killer" for me. Pay attention to the other thread since "subarucrosstrek" user from Michigan is seeing this right now, and is stuck between a Rock and a Hard Place.

Mine lasted about a month with intermittent on/off of these lights. I did get the OBD2 reader, and was able to get the codes and reset the lights (instead of using the fuse). The fuse effectively "resets" the lights, but if it were to occur again, you're going to run into the same issues.

Good Luck! Let us know how it works for you. I think this is a common issue on the car, that Subaru doesn't know what's actually going on. It is likely to hit many other cars. Since mine was the first model with the hybrid, an I had more miles than others, I was on the leading edge of these random problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fuse replace fixed the problem for me

Thank you! I checked the 7.5 fuses in the engine fuse box and nothing looked blown. Changed it out anyway and, VIOLA! Problem solved and no more engine or hill assist lights. Not sure why it was telling me there were emissions and hill assist problems when it was a fuse that had nothing to do with those, but then again, they couldn't make it TOO easy to figure out. LOL.
fuse replace also fixed my problem.
i have 2015 xv, 45k miles when this happened.
picture shows the fuse i replaced that fixed the problem.
thanks xv forum!

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Heads up--it started with the 7.5 fuse, and progressed to this:
http://www.subaruxvforum.com/forum/xv-hybrid-tech-warranty-issues/143026-lots-blinky-lights.html

I had the same issue/fix with the lights and the fuse in 10/2016. It started reoccurring in 3/2017, and then took a break until 09/2017. This was the "car killer" for me. Pay attention to the other thread since "subarucrosstrek" user from Michigan is seeing this right now, and is stuck between a Rock and a Hard Place.

Mine lasted about a month with intermittent on/off of these lights. I did get the OBD2 reader, and was able to get the codes and reset the lights (instead of using the fuse). The fuse effectively "resets" the lights, but if it were to occur again, you're going to run into the same issues.

Good Luck! Let us know how it works for you. I think this is a common issue on the car, that Subaru doesn't know what's actually going on. It is likely to hit many other cars. Since mine was the first model with the hybrid, an I had more miles than others, I was on the leading edge of these random problems.
What do you mean car killer?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the same problem with my 2014 xv crosstrek with Hill assist and check engine lights and emissions control system warning staying on. Pulled a few of the fuses under the hood including the 7.5 amp ones mentioned. None looked blown at all but restarted my car and everything is back to normal. Not sure which one it was but Thanks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts