Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Someone complained in this forum of having their blind spot system fail, and I mention that It may need Calibration, however I just joined this site to inform all CrossTrek (and potentially all owners of models with Eyesight) of another potential cause.

I found very recently that this specific brand (attached), and maybe any Ceramic Liquid Spray that you apply, let dry, and wipe off may potentially negatively affect your Blind Spot Sensor (radar) and associated system.

My Sister-In-Law called and complained that her little amber light was not illuminating anymore on the drivers side mirror (2021 CrossTrek).

I simply had her wipe down the lower drivers side rear bumber, and she called back stating that it was fixed, and that I was a genius.

Well... I don't know about that, I just simply asked her what she did last before noticing the Blind Spot issue, she said "I was cleaning my car and sprayed this spray on, leave, and wipe off cleaner/wax on the car."

I had her send me a pic of the bottle, the product was Shine Armor.

image000000.jpg

(pictured)

Hope this helps, and maybe prevents someone from a potential tail-chasing.

Darin Myers
Subaru Ambassador

· Registered
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
548 Posts
If the product is "ceramic", simply wiping it will not remove it. You have to polish ceramic spray type coatings off a vehicle.

It's more likely that something else was over the sensor. There is no way a wax, ceramic spray, etc will block the radar sensor.

· Resident topic drifter
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
17,795 Posts
Very odd first post. Ours hasn't been washed since November 2019 (there's a post here about that, somewhere) and the blind spot indicator works just fine. There must be all kinds of carp on there by now! 😸

What kind of goop blocks radar? I'm sure the military would be interested in that...

· Registered
578 Posts
Very odd first post. Ours hasn't been washed since November 2019 (there's a post here about that, somewhere) and the blind spot indicator works just fine. There must be all kinds of carp on there by now! 😸

What kind of goop blocks radar? I'm sure the military would be interested in that...
You could be onto something here. Skunk Works takes a beat up old 70's F-111 from the Mojave junkyard, sprays it with Fortify Quick Coat Shine Armor and then slaps an F22-Raptor badge in a few places and sells a stealth fighter back to the US Military for $300 plus million dollars. That is the real reason why it was canceled. Hold on. There is a knock on the door. Two guys in black suits and dark sunglasses…

· Resident topic drifter
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
17,795 Posts
Common, grass or Asian?
Ha, ha, just avoiding the filter, although it doesn't seem very strict here. We had a goldfish when my son was little and it died, so I took it in a ziplock bag to get a new matching one. The guy didn't bat an eyelid, I guess they do that all the time.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the product is "ceramic", simply wiping it will not remove it. You have to polish ceramic spray type coatings off a vehicle.

It's more likely that something else was over the sensor. There is no way a wax, ceramic spray, etc will block the radar sensor.
Like I stated, it "did" block the sensor, and it was removed with a good (water-only) washing - please don't say "there is no way", it happened exactly the way I stated it did - I joined this site expressly with the intention of helping people avoid this issue, please respect that intention.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You could be onto something here. Skunk Works takes a beat up old 70's F-111 from the Mojave junkyard, sprays it with Fortify Quick Coat Shine Armor and then slaps an F22-Raptor badge in a few places and sells a stealth fighter back to the US Military for $300 plus million dollars. That is the real reason why it was canceled. Hold on. There is a knock on the door. Two guys in black suits and dark sunglasses…
I'll tell you just like I told Scythe:

Like I stated, it "did" block the sensor, and it was removed with a good (water-only) washing - please don't say "there is no way", it happened exactly the way I stated it did - I joined this site expressly with the intention of helping people avoid this issue, please respect that intention.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wouldn't be the 1st time Skunk Works got one over on our Government.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Odd that I joined to try to help others, wonder what you think when something is really Odd :rolleyes:

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I suspect a coincidence. But a bit of research could prove you right. But for now I am going for some other cause in my mind.

Also welcome to the forum. Always good to have potential issues posted and debated.
It happened just like I said it did - trust me my Sister-In-Law went from panicked, to ecstatic (when resolved).

· Registered
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
548 Posts
Oh, I am not doubting your story. I have no doubt it happened as you said.

I am just saying you cannot wipe off a ceramic coating with water. This is fact. I have no doubt something was blocking the sensor, but it wasn't the coating.

Like I said, and you can check this.....just google 'how do I remove a ceramic spray coating'. It is going to tell you to polish the car, as it has to be mechanically removed. Why? Because it physically bonds to the car.

The very purpose of ceramic coatings is to repel water. These things can last anywhere from 3-12 months, depending on product and application.

· Registered
578 Posts
It happened just like I said it did - trust me my Sister-In-Law went from panicked, to ecstatic (when resolved).
Cool. There are a heap of polar opposite views on this site. So I wouldn't get too worried about some people disagreeing with you. It just means there are two or three or more views on a theory of which yours may be right or it could be wrong or partially right with a misunderstanding or it could be both are right. I don't disagree that it happened like you said, just not for the reason you said. Stranger things have happened though. A couple of hundred years ago you would have no chance telling a pirate their scurvy would be cured by eating oranges.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts