Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Needs a Butch car
2020 Crosstrek Premium
916 Posts
Is it really only 30 seconds? Wouldn't that potentially get written over if the ignition was still on after a crash?

This isn't an area I've paid much attention to. I just thought it was noteworthy that this info was disclosed in the press conference this morning. Now there are calls for him to be prosecuted and I wonder how admissible that data would be in a criminal trial.
Yeah exactly, and if the car is left on it gets overridden. I'm not sure how often that's even useful.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The "black boxes" are available for any legal after-the-fact information, as well as it appears lately insurance companies are offering discounts based on your readings, assuming you allow them to read it. I'm not a fan of Big Brother, nor a fan of high speed idiots, but the last thing I plan on doing is allowing anyone access to my driving habits unless it is absolutely necessary.

As for Tiger, he is now and always has been an AH. A good golfer, but an AH nonetheless.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have the Autel Maxitrip as a backup if I should be given a speedtrap ticket that I think is unjustified. I can let the cop know that I have the accurate data available if he wants to push the matter. I haven't needed it up to now but better to have it.... If I do need to exceed the posted limit I always make sure I have a rabbit ahead of me...just in case.

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,855 Posts
I was driving in TX a few years ago, and many of the hwy speed limits were 80 mph. So I happily drove along at 85 and as much as 90 at times. But what blew me away (almost literally) was how many people there were flying by me, probably doing 100 mph. Anyway, sure beats crawling along at 55 or even 60 mph...

In BC most hwy limits are 100 - 120 kph. And most drivers go 5 - 10 kph over the limit. Cops are OK with that. We also have a lot of variable speed limits (electronic signs) depending on road conditions, and at times it will be slower. I wonder how the black boxes will account for that. Even my nav will often be wrong in those cases.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I was given a new Outback loaner when getting my new PCV and noticed the car was able to read road speed signs and displayed the road speed on the gauge cluster. I thought it would be only time before the car would nag if the driver went over the posted limit or even didn't allow the vehicle to go over the limit. Seems Eyesight is teaming up with the black box.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Was it able to read the electronic variable speed signs?

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
11,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I was given a new Outback loaner when getting my new PCV and noticed the car was able to read road speed signs and displayed the road speed on the gauge cluster. I thought it would be only time before the car would nag if the driver went over the posted limit or even didn't allow the vehicle to go over the limit. Seems Eyesight is teaming up with the black box.
Teslas have been doing that for a while. Pretty cool. I don't trust the map data, however recent it may be.

The whole point of this thread is that I wonder how many people realize how much data their car is logging about how they drive and that it's available to law enforcement and the court systems. More of us on a forum like this but probably a very small percentage in the general population.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Was it able to read the electronic variable speed signs?
Just the signs on the side of the road as I drove around Kelowna killing time waiting for my new PCV valve. I had heard that the new generation of Eyesight would also recognize red stop-lights when in ACC and come to a stop independently. I have no first-hand knowledge if that does exist.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Teslas have been doing that for a while. Pretty cool. I don't trust the map data, however recent it may be.
I think Tesla uses GPS data. The Outback Eyesight was reading the written road-sign standing on the side of the road. When it came to another sign different from the previous one the gauge cluster would change to the new limit. I think this character recognition ability is more advanced than just displaying database info as Tesla does.

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
4,402 Posts
Some Nav systems will compare the speed limit data in their map file to your car's current speed, and then give you a visual indication on the map that you're speeding. I discovered that a while ago when I was driving along a freeway with an 80 MPH limit, but the nav thought I was actually on the parallel frontage road, which had a 45 MPH limit. :sneaky:

Anyhow, Montana was the last of the 50 US states to establish a numerical speed limit for its rural highways. For many years, our speed limit signs looked like this:

And in a perfect world, I really believe that's how speed limits should work ... we should be able to drive at whatever speed is prudent, rather than be held to some arbitrary number. Of course, the problem with that is the issue of who gets to decide what's "prudent." Here, we had a series of situations where jerks brought their high-end sports cars to Montana just for the chance to drive fast, and then when they got ticketed they went to court to argue that driving 130 MPH was perfectly prudent. After a few stories like that, the state finally gave in and established numerical limits, ruining things for everybody.

·
Registered
484 Posts
When I visited my pal's ranch in Rosebud County in Montana I liked that Montana freeway gas stations sell cans of beer on ice by the door. Drivers can not drive impaired but driving while having a beer is fine...if you're not impaired. Sure, some will abuse the privilege but that's the same with most things.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I think Tesla uses GPS data. The Outback Eyesight was reading the written road-sign standing on the side of the road. When it came to another sign different from the previous one the gauge cluster would change to the new limit. I think this character recognition ability is more advanced than just displaying database info as Tesla does.
Teslas read the signs. It was a few years ago that I took an extended test drive and they were doing it then. Here's the first article I found when I Googled it. Not sure what it would do with the sign @Montanan just posted though, LOL!

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
4,402 Posts
When I visited my pal's ranch in Rosebud County in Montana I liked that Montana freeway gas stations sell cans of beer on ice by the door. Drivers can not drive impaired but driving while having a beer is fine...if you're not impaired. Sure, some will abuse the privilege but that's the same with most things.
Years ago, I spent several months out in Rosebud County, working on a professional contract. I really got to like the area and its people, even though it all seems pretty desolate at first glance.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Years ago, I spent several months out in Rosebud County, working on a professional contract. I really got to like the area and its people, even though it all seems pretty desolate at first glance.
My pal had 1000 acres of mainly bottom land around a nice little stream along Sarpy Creek Road south of Hysham. Otherwise that area is pretty dry and flat.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
My son's first car was an older Asuna Sunrunner (Suzuki Sidekick). I think it had about 80 hp. He still smashed it up (rear ended someone) within the 1st couple months...

Having said that, to this day, he has not had another accident.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hmm. I think that car had a nav system installed, not that it was reading the street signs but was operating off of GPS data. Even my 10+ year-old Garmin GPS does that.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Hmm. I think that car had a nav system installed, not that it was reading the street signs but was operating off of GPS data. Even my 10+ year-old Garmin GPS does that.
Our '18 Crosstrek does that (i.e. from the nav data) but I have noticed that it's not always right so I don't trust it.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts