Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
11,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where this belongs but it also applies to our Crosstreks.

I just read the report about the Tiger Woods' crash nearby: Tiger Woods was driving as fast as 87 mph, nearly twice the speed limit, before he crashed

"When the airbags were triggered, the SUV’s event data recorder captured speeds before and after the initial impact of 82.02 mph to 86.99 mph.

Powers said the data recorder also captures pressure applied to the accelerator during the collision, which he said was at 99%."

None of this is surprising to me. Just assume that your driving prior to an accident will be available to law enforcement and probably opposing counsel in a lawsuit, via subpoena.

On the one hand, it's creepy but on the other hand it may make people be safer drivers if they know they are being recorded...

Reactions: Whatswong

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,855 Posts
I just wish they would raise the speed limits higher in most places, here in Canada, anyway. As a result everyone drives at least 10 kph over limit. And in traffic, ie the freeways, it is 20 over. But I guess if you are in an accident, and they check the black box, you could be charged as being at fault.

Just hope they don't start randomly checking the black box, and charging you for speeding whenever/wherever they want. There are places here because I know there won't be radar set up, I speed quite excessively (legally, not dangerously). And if caught could be nailed with reckless driving and lose my license. But makes no sense to go 60 kph on a back road with no traffic or side roads, ie no reason to go that slow. But that's what they do here.

And I honestly, can't stand driving slow, seems like wasting my life... BTW, have not been in an accident since I was kid, and no speeding tickets for about 20 years or so (a few close calls though).

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He was doing 87mph in a 45mph zone and couldn't make the turn. I'm sure he felt he would be "wasting his life" by driving the speed limit... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,855 Posts
He was doing 87mph in a 45mph zone and couldn't make the turn. I'm sure he felt he would be "wasting his life" by driving the speed limit... :rolleyes:
Yeah, but obviously he was driving dangerously. I am not advocating that.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, but obviously he was driving dangerously. I am not advocating that.
Not sure what exactly you are advocating... that it's OK to violate laws that you don't agree with, potentially endangering others? If Tiger Woods had hit another car or a pedestrian the result would have been disastrous.

Reactions: Bob12

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
559 Posts
Tiger probably mistook the accelerator for the brake.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, they've existed in one form or another ever since the invention of the airbag, and I think virtually all US-market cars have had them for at least the last decade or so ...
I've read quite a bit about it over the years. As various technologies have developed they're able to capture more and more data about how we drive, and we don't really know what. There's also the question of who owns the data - there have been a few lawsuits about that.

I found this remarkable that in a police news conference they announced such specific detail. It says he waived his rights but why would he do that unless he didn't really have an option. No mention of prosecution but that may have been different if he'd killed someone.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Yes,they have had that for some 20 or 30 years now.My friends wifes trail blazer had a misfire that triggered a CEL.My code reader has a feature called freeze frame data that stores info about what was happening when the code was triggered.When I saw the data I said"well there's your problem".The throttle was at 100% and she was going 78 MPH.The max MPH on her route is 55 MPH.When I showed that to her hubby,he gave her an ear full about how she has to slow it down because they didn't need any tickets.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
292 Posts
Just hope they don't start randomly checking the black box, and charging you for speeding whenever/wherever they want. There are places here because I know there won't be radar set up, I speed quite excessively (legally, not dangerously).
Honest to goodness question out of curiosity - how do you "speed quite excessively" legally? Maybe I don't understand what you mean...

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Honest to goodness question out of curiosity - how do you "speed quite excessively" legally? Maybe I don't understand what you mean...
That one got me too, LOL!

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What with the painkillers he was taking for his recent back surgery.
Then he shouldn't have been driving in the first place if he was that impaired. The old guy who plowed through the Farmer's Market here in Santa Monica, killing 10 and injuring 70, used that argument.

Reactions: Bob12

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have the Autel MaxiTrip TP100 in my XTrek and the Impreza before that. This unit acts as a black box and records all 24 OBD2 data streams for the last 600 hours of my driving. All the saved data is downloadable to a PC. Vehicle "black boxes" save the preceding 30 secords on a loop. 30 seconds is usually sufficient to find out what was going on before the vehicle hit the tree.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have the Autel MaxiTrip TP100 in my XTrek and the Impreza before that. This unit acts as a black box and records all 24 OBD2 data streams for the last 600 hours of my driving. All the saved data is downloadable to a PC. Vehicle "black boxes" save the preceding 30 secords on a loop. 30 seconds is usually sufficient to find out what was going on before the vehicle hit the tree.
Is it really only 30 seconds? Wouldn't that potentially get written over if the ignition was still on after a crash?

This isn't an area I've paid much attention to. I just thought it was noteworthy that this info was disclosed in the press conference this morning. Now there are calls for him to be prosecuted and I wonder how admissible that data would be in a criminal trial.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts