Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just going over my purchase documents and noticed that the amount I was charged for MaxCare, the brand name of Carmax's extended warranty, was almost $1,900--this on my 2013 XV with 74,100 miles. Is this worth it? Or would I be better served by just throwing some or all of that money into a rollover or no-penalty CD or something "just in case?"

My gut is telling me that in this case MaxCare is a bad deal, and I'm inclined to cancel it. I'm new to Subaru but know that Japanese cars broadly and Subaru more specifically tend to be quite reliable, but I wanted to see if anyone on the boards thought otherwise.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,144 Posts
Welcome! The community here is fairly evenly divided between those who think extended warranties are a good idea and those who think they are a waste of money. Personally, I think the genuine Subaru Gold extended warranty is a good idea, due to the cost of repairing or replacing all of the fancy electronics in these cars, these days. I would not bother with a third-party one.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info! I appreciate the candor. I didn't know that Subaru even offered its own extended warranty, but I will definitely look into it. Even though I got the car at Carmax, do you know if my local Subaru dealer would care if I just waltzed in the door and said, "I didn't buy my car here, but I want to buy a warranty" ...?

·
Prefers black cats
12,144 Posts
Sorry, I don't know how that works with older cars. The Gold warranty is available any time until the factory warranty expires at 3yrs/36Kmi. Try contacting SOA (Subaru of America).

·
Registered
2021 Base CVT Crosstrek
149 Posts
I was just going over my purchase documents and noticed that the amount I was charged for MaxCare, the brand name of Carmax's extended warranty, was almost $1,900--this on my 2013 XV with 74,100 miles. Is this worth it? Or would I be better served by just throwing some or all of that money into a rollover or no-penalty CD or something "just in case?"

My gut is telling me that in this case MaxCare is a bad deal, and I'm inclined to cancel it. I'm new to Subaru but know that Japanese cars broadly and Subaru more specifically tend to be quite reliable, but I wanted to see if anyone on the boards thought otherwise.
We had a CarMax warranty for a car we bought from CarMax. At that time it was a very short warranty (2 years, I think) but it paid for itself because near the end of the warranty they discovered a head gasket issue and fixed it at no charge.

·
Has Butch tires
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,052 Posts
It might be a good idea to consider this insurance, depending on what it promises to do. The 2013 model has some folks arguing that it isn't consistently reliable and the insurance might make sense. Depending on economic future putting $1900 into a easily available investment might do the trick as well. I tend to be a worrier so I would probably pick up the insurance although it might not actually be the best deal.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,378 Posts
Questions:
1. Who backs the MaxCare warranty? Is it CarMax or is this a third party warranty that CarMax sells?
2. What are the deductibles?

If a Subaru dealer says they can sell you an extended warranty on a 2013, it won't be SOA-backed warranty. Manufacturer's extended warranties have to be purchased much earlier in the vehicle's life (usually within 3 years, 36k miles).

BTW, you can expect to have to replace wheel bearings on a 2013 if they have not already been replaced.

·
Registered
262 Posts
For me, no. I'd put the $ toward infrastructure(new fuel pump, wheel bearings, front axles, w-pump, t-stat, fresh fluids throughout the car, etc..). My problem with many of these policies is the "devil is in the details". Many of them only pay for aftermarket or used parts, and minimal labor charges which leave you holding the bag.
regards

·
Prefers black cats
12,144 Posts
It's like any insurance policy - they're not in business to lose money. I like the Gold from Subaru, the manufacturer, but wouldn't buy a third party plan. Saving money to pay for repairs takes a lot of discipline unless you already have some backup.

Reactions: SubaruBill
1 - 9 of 9 Posts