Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

Cargo lights add-on

Applies to All Model Years 
4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  FinallyaSubaru 
#1 · (Edited)
Another simple way to add cargo lights.
Parts: 12 mm LED bolt lights from Superbrightleds Bolt Beam 12mm LED Light - 55 Lumens , shrink tubing, double wire. It was done on a 2022, however it applies to all model years (since I've done something nearly identical on my 2008 impreza hatchback, also mounting them on tailight access panels)

Light bars or LED strips are also an excellent option, however I was looking for something rather "stealth" and with no glare. The two little acces panels are also excellent in case something needs to be changed, reconnected, etc. If all else fails, they're probably cheap AF to get from a junkyard.

As a side-note, I'm amazed that such a solution isn't nearly standard. The OEM cargo light becomes useless when the trunk is full - and OEM cargo-lights upgrades (such as the one in the Outdoor version in Canada, or pillar-mounted lights from the Japanese accessory catalogue are >100$. Meanwhile, this was a 10$ project...

Write-up:

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper
Automotive lighting Electrical wiring Bumper Audio equipment Automotive exterior

1) Remove 2 tailight access panels. Run the wire from the right access hole towards the left (no need to rip off the entire trunk cover plastic, one can just tuck the wire in). Drill 2 holes in the acces panels, install lights.

Hood Grille Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Hood Automotive lighting

2) Remove the left trunk side plillar, run the wire towards the rubber sleeve connecting the trunk to the car's body. The sleeve just pops out from both sides, and there is enough space to shove the wire in.

Automotive design Electrical wiring Material property Cable Automotive tire

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Fluid

3) push the wire down along the D pillar. No need to rip the plastic cover out, it can just be partially lifted. The objective is to get the wire down towards the cargo light (which has to be removed). Once you find the wiggling wire tip, connect it in parallel to the cargo light bulb. You can do it the proper way (solder), or the ghetto way (attach and twist the wire strands to each terminal, hoping they'll stay connected)

Tire Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive design

Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Trunk

Really happy with the result. Perfect illumination, slight spillover behind the car (in case something falls off), and no glare whatsoever due to the optics on the LED bolts.

See less See more
#9 ·
I wired them to the OEM side light, so they all come together. Never too bright.
Looks so OEM and practical that I literally forgot it's a ghetto mod. These little screw in LEDs are absolutely perfect when you don't want to deal with cutting things, adding a housing, ets. No annoying glare either due to their projection angle.

Thank you!