Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 Crosstrek

I am starting here because it seems like the logical place to start. In the last few months my car has gotten loud when i am driving at speed. It is not a engine sound, not a clicking or rattle, not exhust. Not a scraping sound. It is just loud. so loud that the wife was like what is that noise? I figure its the tires since that's what is on the road. They are in great shape, plenty of tread left. Air pressure is at the recommended psi. The sound is everywhere so its not focused on one specific wheel.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is it a alignment issue? The car runs pretty straight so she is not pulling to the side.

I wish i could explain it better but it really comes down to the interior is loud and kinda distracting.
Please ask questions or point me in a direction.

·
Registered
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
1,274 Posts
Check to see if the weatherstipping around the doors has come loose?

Reactions: eclemente

·
Has Butch tires
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
654 Posts
What happens to the noise if you carefully slip the car into Neutral while driving on the highway? Be careful.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My ‘15 has always been loud on the highway compared to other cars I’ve driven. The cross bars on the roof add to the noise too.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What kind of sound is it? rushing air? whirring? growling? buzzing? whistling?
What pitch - high or low?
It is more of a loud droning sound. kind lone end growl. It is tied to speed so faster i go the louder it gets. not really at much at low speeds so like street driving cant hear it but when i go faster it grows as the speedometer goes up.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
From the original post it sounds like a wheel bearing. The sound from those can resonate and make it seem like it's coming from all over.
Ya i did some research on this and i think this sounds like the issue. Need to go to dealership to deal with the recall we had with the engines. Maybe have them check it out while there. Thanks for the suggestion 👍

·
Has Butch tires
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
654 Posts
Wheel bearing noise may not be the problem but here's some more information.

We have a very old pop up trailer (50 years old this year) that I tow with the Crosstrek. The wheel bearings are very tiny and sustained high speed in hot climates can really cook the wheel bearing grease. I repack often especially after long hard drives in very hot weather.

When driving at a constant speed on a freeway I stop after 50 miles or so and keep track of the temp at the wheel bearing cap (it's exposed.) I use a non-contact thermometer to read the temperature of the wheel near the hub, looking for uneven temps from one wheel to the other. My father in law, just turned 100, told me that just putting my hand on the wheel bearing cap every so often will let me track a hot bearing . I repack when I find one wheel heating up. This may not help with the Crosstrek but you never know.

My wife considers the Crosstrek quite loud on long trips but she used my downloaded NIOSH App (its free) to read sound levels and found it was just her husband making noises, talking mostly, so she understands that there is nothing she can do to stop the noise without pushing me out the door.

I wish you luck!

·
Registered
135 Posts
You know... on first place should you write which tires are on your car. Which speed you are going and which asfalt it is, because there is rough asfalt, silent asfalt and things between....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You know... on first place should you write which tires are on your car. Which speed you are going and which asfalt it is, because there is rough asfalt, silent asfalt and things between....
Its on all surfaces. It is speed dependent. Could be a residential street or highway, when the car is going 40+ i get the sound

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yeah i understand this, but WHICH tires do you have mounted on your car? a real streettire will be less noisy than a BFG AT or MT... and at the end lets be honest: in the good old times was it the engineers constructing the car, with all its needs for a good ride. Today is it the economic who have to save so much money in the productionprocess as possible. The noiseisolation went down the last years and the people most complaining about streetnoise are the electric car owners now. because there was no need for more because the electric enigne is not that noisy than the fuelengine... so they reduced isolation further....

If you have rough tires on your car is it only to change them to noisereduced streettires. If you already or still have streettires on your car, is it just to live with it like it is, or buy another car which is in another price- and qualitylevel and have better noiseisolation than your car. There is nothing else to do, sorry.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts