Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if it's because of the Shelter In Place. But, my car battery died on me today...my first day back at work! Is this normal for an OEM Subaru car battery to last less than 3 yrs?

During the lockdown, I did drive my car for short errands 1-2 times a week. Plus, I trickle charged the battery to fully charged every 1-2 weeks if I haven't driven my car in over 6-7 days. Last night just in case, I fully trickled charged my car battery. I drove about 45 mins to work this morning. Was in my car during my 30 minute lunch and had the stereo on (very low though). When I left work at around 6 pm, car wouldn't start and needed to be jump started.

Will probably just buy a new battery at Costco tomorrow. Just think it's a bit short lived.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
884 Posts
It's disappointing but not unusual. Before you install a new battery have your charging system checked just to make sure that's not the problem. You might want to consider a more robust AGM type battery.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I don't know if it's because of the Shelter In Place. But, my car battery died on me today...my first day back at work! Is this normal for an OEM Subaru car battery to last less than 3 yrs?

During the lockdown, I did drive my car for short errands 1-2 times a week. Plus, I trickle charged the battery to fully charged every 1-2 weeks if I haven't driven my car in over 6-7 days. Last night just in case, I fully trickled charged my car battery. I drove about 45 mins to work this morning. Was in my car during my 30 minute lunch and had the stereo on (very low though). When I left work at around 6 pm, car wouldn't start and needed to be jump started.

Will probably just buy a new battery at Costco tomorrow. Just think it's a bit short lived.
it's early but in the range. definitely lack of use hasn't helped. I bought my work truck battery at Costco about six months ago and it died the other day. I let the truck run for an hour after jumping it and today when I was working it died again from the door being ajar. that's a great way to kill a battery prematurely but Costco has a great guarantee.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,097 Posts
LOTS of battery threads lately...

I replaced ours with an Odyssey Extreme.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts