Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can’t hear callers in 2018 Crosstrek

I have a 2018 Crosstrek Limited and continue to have an issue hearing callers when using the Crosstrek’s Bluetooth. I have to turn the volume up to a 28 volume or louder to hear callers. But when listening to music, the volume is loud at like a volume 10. So this issue only happens when I try to hear callers through my Bluetooth paired iPhone. All the rest of the Crosstrek’s volume (music, navigation, etc) sound fine at a low volume.

I have an iPhone 6s and have the phone volume at max. I also tried “forget this device” and then re-paired the iPhone to see if that would fix the issue...did not work.

Has anyone else had this issue during Bluetooth calls where you almost have to max out the volume on your Crosstrek to hear callers?

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated? Thanks !

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
:smileyvault-welcome ... Welcome to the forum, Lor! This is a great place for questions like yours and I'm sure one of our tech savvy members will jump in to help you out.

Gerry

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Manen454, I have volume on the phone maxed out. I have been speaking with the dealer and they are even perplexed.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I haven't had any issues with low volume on callers. But I would suggest getting a friend with another phone and have his paired to your Crosstrek. See if the same issue occurs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just purchased my 18 Crosstrek two weeks ago and I am having the same exact issue. Checked all the possible issues listed above. I know it isn’t the end of the world, but I place and receive many
calls during my commute. Please let us know what you find out from Subaru!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
One thing to check ... you say your are using Bluetooth, correct? So you do not have the phone connected via wire as well, like for Apple CarPlay or even just for charging? Correct?

I have noticed that you cannot use both the wired and Bluetooth connection at the same time. They tend to interrupt each other fighting over who will handle it. They normally play nice with each other, but don't try to mix and match them for a phone call.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
10,754 Posts
There's a "mixer" for the different audio inputs that you can access by holding down the right button. I had to use that once to fix the nav voice prompt level. Might be worth checking the levels there...

·
Registered
73 Posts
I too noticed this. My hubby in his 15 forester can have his call volume on 5, while I have to turn mine up to 22

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
I too have this problem. Updating the head unit firmware at the dealership helped a tiny bit but still can't hear callers.
Problem exists with both an iPhone 8 and a Google pixel 2. Using car play with the iPhone helps some but still it's bad.

Hopefully Subaru will fix this with a future software update

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Prefers non-orange cars
10,754 Posts
I too have this problem. Updating the head unit firmware at the dealership helped a tiny bit but still can't hear callers.
Problem exists with both an iPhone 8 and a Google pixel 2. Using car play with the iPhone helps some but still it's bad.

Hopefully Subaru will fix this with a future software update

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
This hasn't been a problem for me with a Pixel XL but there have been a LOT of other audio issues. Yes, hopefully, Subaru will fix them... hope springs eternal... :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the same problem and it does not seem to matter if I have iPhone running Bluetooth or wired with USB? Really annoying!! I can barely hear call even with HU Volume maxed.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I have the same problem and it does not seem to matter if I have iPhone running Bluetooth or wired with USB? Really annoying!! I can barely hear call even with HU Volume maxed.
If you have the phone connected via USB, turn off the Bluetooth to ensure that is not fighting for control. Also, no headset or headphones using Bluetooth, just the iPhone connected by cable, and no other connections. Using this setup, if you still can't hear callers, try adjusting the volume on the phone while you are actively ON the call, not before making the call.

·
Registered
216 Posts
If you haven't already update the HU, mine at least seems to be louder and I have no issues with the phone making or receiving a call now.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
10,754 Posts
If you have the phone connected via USB, turn off the Bluetooth to ensure that is not fighting for control. Also, no headset or headphones using Bluetooth, just the iPhone connected by cable, and no other connections. Using this setup, if you still can't hear callers, try adjusting the volume on the phone while you are actively ON the call, not before making the call.
See my earlier post - there's a volume mixer you can access by holding down the right button. When we first got the Crosstrek, I went to turn down the radio just as it made a nav announcement. The nav volume got turned down and it took me a while to figure out how to fix it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: ckeene

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you Knack! I turned off the bluetooth and hooked it up with the USB port and it worked fine. Phone is now just as loud as the radio! Today I had phone plugged into cable (and the BlueTooth was on) and again the volume sounded as it should, nice and loud?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Thank you Knack! I turned off the bluetooth and hooked it up with the USB port and it worked fine. Phone is now just as loud as the radio! Today I had phone plugged into cable (and the BlueTooth was on) and again the volume sounded as it should, nice and loud?
Yes, but sometimes the Bluetooth will compete with the cable connection trying to overpower it, and that is when the phone will not be 100% as it switches back and forth between the two connections. There are times that the two work fine together with mine too, but other times that I can't hear the directions from Siri as it switches back and forth. And when that happens I kill the Bluetooth, easy enough with a swipe on the iPhone X and everything is back to normal phone operation and sound. I haven't seen any documentation on this, it is personal observation by someone who is a computer troubleshooter by trade for many years.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts