Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Crosstrek, Touring
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my 2021 Crosstrek, Touring addition with eyesight . Love all the posts and combinations. Looking for a winter set up with minus one size 16" (225/65/r16) down from the stock 17" 225/60/r17) . From this and many other fourums looks like a lot of drivers can bring the rims down to 15"s. My dilemma why I talked to the dealer mechanic they have told me that 16"s won't fit my model in fact "they tried to fit some 16" STI rims on a crosstrek the other day and had to send them back", there appaers to be ample space around the brakes and calipers however the casting of the front strut looks like it tucks itself inside the rim of the 17". Has anyone else encountered this? I doubt that the strut is only specific to my trim level? The wheel set up at 16 with increased side wall should be close to the stock diameter and not affect the eyesight function.
Any thoughts or comments always appreciated.
Shoe Plant Automotive tire Black-and-white Fender
Automotive tire Plant Terrestrial plant Audio equipment Gas
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just installed my 16" winters on my 2021 Crosstrek Convenience yesterday. I took it for a drive today and I can confirm no clearance issues or rubbing. The tires are noisy, but not expected as I went with an aggressive winter as I drive 200km per day for work and have to be able to get to work in extreme weather conditions.

Factory Tire size: 225/60/17
Winter Tire size: 215/ 70/16 Cooper Evolution Studded (they measure 0.3" taller and 0.4" narrower)
Factory Rim size: 17x 7.0, 5x 100mm, 56.1 mm center bore, 55mm positive offset
Winter Rim size: 16x 6.5, 5x 100mm, 56.1 mm center bore, 48mm positive offset (Part # X46556)

I think you would need to be careful of the backspacing/offset of the rim. I have about 3/4" between the rim and the strut where you describe. I used this site for visualizations of options Rim and Tire size calculator

Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design Bumper
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

·
Registered
2019 Canadian Sport trim (6MT // 2.0 )
540 Posts
I went with 16" mags (OEM 2008 Impreza ones), and 215/65R16 tires.
  • The rims, despite a proper offset, were rubbing front calipers. Not by much, got the calipers shaved, but still
  • The tires are 2-3% smaller than the proper size (215/70R16) . I was just cheap 😁
  • Check tire prices before deciding for the overall combo. Specifically for Hakkas R3: 215/70R16 were as expensive as OEM (225/60/R17), 215/65/R17 were cheaper, and 215/65R16 the cheapest.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Crosstrek, Touring
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ended up going with DAI wheels, OEM pattern in graphite 16x6.5 and 45 off set. Rubber is Blizzack WS-90. 225/65r16. Wheels have 14mm more clearance on the backspace so the strut wasn't an issue. Inside the wheels on the front still has about 1/2." clearance from inside diameter to the rotors and caliper. No rubbing and rides very quiet. I will need to get some mud flaps though.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Automotive tire Tire Water Automotive lighting Road surface

1 - 5 of 5 Posts