Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 XV Crosstrek Limited and can not unlock it. Tried the fob, using the key itself, the hatchback - nothing will unlock. Lights don't flash when the button on the fob is pushed. I'm assuming maybe the battery is dead.......but can not get into it to pop the hood. I'm thinking I might be SOL. Anyone else experience this issue?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Dead battery or not, the mechanical key will open the door when turned clockwise. If the lock doesn't want to turn then maybe it is corroded due to no use. Might have to spray some kind of lubricant in there. Graphite is probably the best or some of the lock thawing stuff. I'm sure most everyone has never used their mechanical key.

·
Registered
Subaru XV 2021 2.0i-S CVT (Aust)
388 Posts
To add/elaborate. In order of likelyhood:

Dead car battery
Corroded terminal on car battery
Dead key fob battery
Faulty key fob
Blown fuse
Faulty or malfunctioning locking system
You are trying to open the wrong car (can happen in car parks with similar looking cars)
You have the wrong key fob (I have two subarus so it happens)

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek Premium, Sunshine Orange
353 Posts
You could try another key. Perhaps there is wear on the one you have been carrying that is preventing proper alignment of a lock pin. Often a skilled wiggle of a key while gently twisting will shift a cranky lock pin into alignment to allow the cylinder to turn.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Key fob is most likely if it still has battery from 2014. It take a CR 2032 I believe, very common.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dead battery or not, the mechanical key will open the door when turned clockwise. If the lock doesn't want to turn then maybe it is corroded due to no use. Might have to spray some kind of lubricant in there. Graphite is probably the best or some of the lock thawing stuff. I'm sure most everyone has never used their mechanical key.
The lock does turn just doesn't unlock. It isn't corroded - it was just driven a couple of days ago.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You could try another key. Perhaps there is wear on the one you have been carrying that is preventing proper alignment of a lock pin. Often a skilled wiggle of a key while gently twisting will shift a cranky lock pin into alignment to allow the cylinder to turn.
I tried both keys that I have - neither of them unlocked it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Key fob is most likely if it still has battery from 2014. It take a CR 2032 I believe, very common.
To add/elaborate. In order of likelyhood:

Dead car battery
Corroded terminal on car battery
Dead key fob battery
Faulty key fob
Blown fuse
Faulty or malfunctioning locking system
You are trying to open the wrong car (can happen in car parks with similar looking cars)
You have the wrong key fob (I have two subarus so it happens)
I only have one Subaru. I have another key fob but it's for my Camaro. Can't pop the hood to check the car battery or anything else because the vehicle will not unlock

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
519 Posts
Sounds like you are trying to unlock someone else's car. 😂 :p

Seriously - the manual key should work. You may have to call a dealer and just ask them WTF?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I plan on doing that tomorrow. It's frustrating. I've never had this problem .......ever ......with any vehicle I've owned.

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek Premium, Sunshine Orange
353 Posts
Not possible situation as described.
I must disagree. It sounds as if two events have converged -- one that is preventing the electronic remote unlocking of the door, and the other being the mechanical failure of the door lock. The former could be caused either by the car battery losing power, a blown fuse, loose wire connection, broken wire, or other electronic failure in the car. It sounds unlikely to be an issue involving fobs or their batteries since OP has tried both fobs and both have new batteries. The mechanical failure of the door lock may have existed for some time and only now have been noticed.

I complain about overreliance on technology. Auto manufacturers think that a single mechanical door lock is a sufficient backup system to the remote door locks. I disagree, and this illustrates the benefit of having a mechanical lock on each side of the car, and even the ability to open the rear hatch with a key. The cost of the additional keyways would be minor compared to the potential benefits.

I fear OP will be calling a locksmith to open the door and replace the doorlock or repair whatever is causing it to fail to unlock the door when the key is turned. Or some window glass may need to be removed to gain access to the car. Once the door is open the electronic problem may be explored.

·
Butchin' Moderator
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,402 Posts
Hope this worked out. Sounds like its a pretty frustrating experience. The manual opening of the door with the key is pretty darn important if the battery/fuse/etc. has a problem. I think I will add testing the key every couple months to the other things I check.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Can you get to the starter from underneath the car? If yes, I assume you could connect charger cables there and get some power to the electronics to see if the fob will function.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts