Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

This is my 2021 XV that's only about four months old. I noticed the black textured bumper trim seems to be very soft and a magnet for chips. My previous VW Golf and my girlfriend's Mazda CX30 are both older and have gone much, much further but with relatively little chip marks on the front end.

Here's an example of my most recent one and there are about 4-5 more similar chips in varying places on the front black bumper trim.

Automotive lighting Automotive design Grey Grille Automotive exterior

The car has only gone about 2K Kms since we've been in lockdown/stay at home order the past few months so it's only been driven to the shops and back on 50kmh roads.

I know that is what trim is for but due to the texture and the colour of it, these little chips show up quite obviously, and are a bit of an eyesore especially when you put some UV protection on the trim (Chemical Guys VRP) and the whole piece becomes darker while the greyish chips stand out more.

If it's been this easy to chip with 4 months/2K Kms on paved roads- I don't even want to imagine what it will look like a year from now lol so I am looking for a product to patch these up. A friend has recommended black duct tape while another has recommended a speciality Trim and Bumper paint from Proform in Satin Black.

Thank you very much for any help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the bumper trim is truly black, you might want to try a a black Sharpie Ultra Fine Point Permanent Marker. Test it in an inconspicuous area first.
Thanks man, yeah that is what I first tried but I am not sure if the trim is like a really deep charcoal but once I hit it with a permanent sharpie (on the underside so I could see how it looked) it just turned like a glossy purplish dot that washed off after a couple of trips.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would recommend SEM 39853 black texture coating aerosol. You will most likely have to paint the whole textured area so the color will match. This is a pricey product depending on where you buy it from, but you get what you pay for. I’ve used it a bunch of times & it’s a great product.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would recommend SEM 39853 black texture coating aerosol. You will most likely have to paint the whole textured area so the color will match. This is a pricey product depending on where you buy it from, but you get what you pay for. I’ve used it a bunch of times & it’s a great product.
Thank you, I will have a look to see if we have something similar in my country. I'm not really after a perfect 1:1 match, just something that will help darken the light grey bits exposed under the dark grey/black trim wrap/paint. If it gets me within 10% of the trim colour, I'll be happy :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts