Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Premium 6spd
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...I have searched but couldn't find the info I'm looking for. Please forgive me if this is somewhere else here. I will be picking up a 2021 Magnetite Grey 6spd Premium this coming Saturday. I got a chance to see the status sheet for my car and it shows that its a California spec car. I was wondering if anyone had any info as to the difference between California spec and, I'm assuming, North American spec? I know that emissions is the biggest thing, but I'm wanting to know if there is a horsepower difference because of the emissions, and anything else that may be different? Also, I found out that my car has option package 11. Just wondering if someone could point me to a source that could help me find out what the different packages are?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2018 Lifted 6-speed Crosstrek
1,923 Posts
I personally have not heard that phrase "CA Spec" before. I ordered my 2018 new and had it delivered here to the Sacramento area back in Sept 2017.

CA does not have additional smog equipment compared to any other US States as far as I know.. Only thing that differs is the smog test years later (I dont think CA requires a new car to be smogged during the first 7 years), a lot of other states are not as strict as CA as far as mods, time to smog (annual, biannual, X years, never), or visual inspection.

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Plug-in Hybrid
540 Posts
My guess is that it's got tagging as a PZEV (partial zero emission vehicle). I think this is a thing for most cars that are compliant with California laws. It's really no different with any crosstrek across the US.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,376 Posts
Gasoline vehicles here need a smog check to re-register when they are eight or more model years old.

We have stricter standards than other states but we also have more vehicles, and the manufacturers tend to comply with our regs so they don't have to make different vehicles for different states and deal with what happens when a car is re-registered in another state. I've done it both ways, several times, with no hassle. Importing a car from another country is a completely different kettle of fish, though...

·
Registered
607 Posts
My state PA requires CA emissions but not all do. When vehicles are ordered here, they have to specify CA emissions. Can be a problem when doing dealer trades with other states. The dealer can't trade with certain states. Subaru may make all their cars 50 state compliant, never looked into it. Just know that it is a thing for some other manf that I have personally dealt with. I guess one reason some have not is cost and lower MPGs due to the extra emission stuff. The other option is Federal emissions. When you buy an aftermarket catalytic convertor, there is an option for Federal and CA. The CA version is a lot more expensive due to more precious metal used.

Option package 11 is "Standard Premium Model (6MT)"

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
442 Posts
ALMOST ALL vehicles are CA emission compliant, regardless of where you buy them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I personally have not heard that phrase "CA Spec" before. I ordered my 2018 new and had it delivered here to the Sacramento area back in Sept 2017.

CA does not have additional smog equipment compared to any other US States as far as I know.. Only thing that differs is the smog test years later (I dont think CA requires a new car to be smogged during the first 7 years), a lot of other states are not as strict as CA as far as mods, time to smog (annual, biannual, X years, never), or visual inspection.
Bill-to Dealer
Ship-to Dealer

VINJF2GTACC8MG361637
VON117031509
Description2021 Crosstrek Premium
Option Package11
Option DescriptionStandard Model
MSRP$25,305

Model Code
MRC
Ext/Int Color
Magnetite Gray Metallic (MG7)/
Gray (GRY)
Spec
C - California

This is a portion of the Status Sheet. So are you saying all of our Crosstrek Status Sheets would show California under the Spec column? And that they all (North American cars) have the same emission equipment?

·
Prefers black cats
12,376 Posts
Bill-to Dealer
Ship-to Dealer

VINJF2GTACC8MG361637
VON117031509
Description2021 Crosstrek Premium
Option Package11
Option DescriptionStandard Model
MSRP$25,305

Model Code
MRC
Ext/Int Color
Magnetite Gray Metallic (MG7)/
Gray (GRY)
Spec
C - California

This is a portion of the Status Sheet. So are you saying all of our Crosstrek Status Sheets would show California under the Spec column? And that they all (North American cars) have the same emission equipment?
Have you asked the dealer or Subaru America?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you asked the dealer or Subaru America?
The sales person said that there was a difference with the emmisions. With which she was comparing, I'm not sure. Maybe if I want to know bad enough I will contact SOA. I'm happy with my soon to be purchase, I'm sure there will be nothing to cause me to change my mind, I am eagerly waiting.

·
Prefers black cats
12,376 Posts
The sales person said that there was a difference with the emmisions. With which she was comparing, I'm not sure. Maybe if I want to know bad enough I will contact SOA. I'm happy with my soon to be purchase, I'm sure there will be nothing to cause me to change my mind, I am eagerly waiting.
I suppose there could be a difference based upon the destination but a lot of cars arrive into the US through Californian ports like Long Beach. As I wrote earlier, the manufacturers tend to comply with our regs so they don't have to make different vehicles for different states. Things got a little wobbly a couple of years ago but seem to be back to normal now (and let's not go there or the mods will shut down this thread, LOL).

Reactions: dpc166

·
Registered
540 Posts
Yeah, I thought I remembered seeing that most of the cars were built to meet the PZEV standards for Cali. I remember building cars online on different manufacturer sites and saw there were options for Cali or non-Cali and it was just for PZEV. I'm on the East Coast so mine came in through Baltimore.

Either way, I wouldn't worry if it was a Cali spec or not.

·
Prefers black cats
12,376 Posts
Yeah, I thought I remembered seeing that most of the cars were built to meet the PZEV standards for Cali. I remember building cars online on different manufacturer sites and saw there were options for Cali or non-Cali and it was just for PZEV. I'm on the East Coast so mine came in through Baltimore.

Either way, I wouldn't worry if it was a Cali spec or not.
Yep, and I was curious enough to Google it. This article is quite comprehensive. I haven't seen a PZEV badge on a new car for a while so I guess it's just now the standard as California tends to lead the way (ducking, LOL).

"PZEVs were originally developed to meet California's strict air quality standards."

Reactions: Blue Bendite

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek
1,331 Posts
IIRC when there was a Cali spec Subaru it was basically adding that carbon filter in the intake, but maybe I made that up.

I do remember watching The Price is Right when they always mentioned "California Emissions Package" on that BRAND NEW CAR. Back then things like smog pumps and using less fuel did lead to lower power cars, that people then just modified.

·
Prefers black cats
12,376 Posts
IIRC when there was a Cali spec Subaru it was basically adding that carbon filter in the intake, but maybe I made that up.

I do remember watching The Price is Right when they always mentioned "California Emissions Package" on that BRAND NEW CAR. Back then things like smog pumps and using less fuel did lead to lower power cars, that people then just modified.

Doesn't look like she's that impressed with it, LOL!

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,422 Posts
I was wondering if anyone had any info as to the difference between California spec and, I'm assuming, North American spec?
A "California" spec car will have double the taxes and registration fees. In addition it will have an electronic RF gizmo that will automatically increase the gas price on the pump by $1.50/gallon when fueling up in another state. It will also have a governor limiting your speed to 15 mph on freeways. Otherwise there is no difference. :giggle:

·
Prefers black cats
12,376 Posts
A "California" spec car will have double the taxes and registration fees. In addition it will have an electronic RF gizmo that will automatically increase the gas price on the pump by $1.50/gallon when fueling up in another state. Otherwise there is no difference. :giggle:
Yep, and the gizmo is now tracking you by county and city! Here in Santa Monica it adds an extra 10.25%

But we get those cool ocean breezes and no snow in the winter... 😸

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
LOL!!!! You guys are great. well, I guess I should have bought a hybrid 😁 So I guess what you're all trying to say is that likely all Crosstreks are Cali spec. Thats fine with me, as long as I'm not loosing HP...and I can't wait to get behind that clutch. Thank you guys for helping me.

·
Registered
540 Posts
LOL!!!! You guys are great. well, I guess I should have bought a hybrid 😁 So I guess what you're all trying to say is that likely all Crosstreks are Cali spec. Thats fine with me, as long as I'm not loosing HP...and I can't wait to get behind that clutch. Thank you guys for helping me.
haha if you were worried about hp, you probably wouldn't have gone for a Crosstrek. In the end it's a fun car and the 6-speed would be fun to have, but I have the hybrid so I don't get that fun.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts