Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2023 Crosstrek 6MT
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed the Redline Tuning Hood QuickLIFT System #21-36010-02 this afternoon. Everything goes together very easily as long as you follow the instructions and are comfortable using a tape measurer. Drilling into the hood was straight forward too and I used some touch up paint on the holes before riveting on the brackets. The struts work very well and lift the hood easily. I ended up removing the prop and prop bracket. Wish the car came this way from the factory.
Vehicle Plant Car Vehicle registration plate Automotive tail & brake light

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Automotive design

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

Road surface Flooring Wood Floor Tool

· Registered
889 Posts
Unfortunately this is one of the things that Subaru and other manufactures do to cut down costs. 😕 BTW it looks real good

· He wasn't there!
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
2,227 Posts
I've thought of this. But wasn't clear on which parts fit the first generation v the second generation cars.

· Registered
2019 Crosstrek Limited
503 Posts
Unfortunately this is one of the things that Subaru and other manufactures do to cut down costs. 😕 BTW it looks real good
I agree that using a prop rod is less expensive than using struts to hold the hood open. On the other hand, that prop rod will never fail, unlike struts that can/will fail over time and usage.

I also agree that OP did a very nice job, it looks like that's how Crosstreks come from the factory.

· Registered
2021 Sport 2.5 cvt
131 Posts
I agree that using a prop rod is less expensive than using struts to hold the hood open. On the other hand, that prop rod will never fail, unlike struts that can/will fail over time and usage.

I also agree that OP did a very nice job, it looks like that's how Crosstreks come from the factory.
It is no fun on a cold day and the hood struts that worked fine the last time you needed them suddenly don’t. I have always removed hood struts and added a simple rod(my supra had a pvc stick for years kept in the engine bay🫣). I saw the crosstrek prop rod as a feature personally.
Op’s install looks nice though.

· Registered
2023 Crosstrek 6MT
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is no fun on a cold day and the hood struts that worked fine the last time you needed them suddenly don’t. I have always removed hood struts and added a simple rod(my supra had a pvc stick for years kept in the engine bay🫣). I saw the crosstrek prop rod as a feature personally.
Op’s install looks nice though.
Can't say I've ever not had them work due to cold. I do live in Florida through. I had to replace the ones on my GTO but I noticed they were getting weaker before an all out failure. I can definitely see where you're coming from though. It would really suck to have a break down and then not have the struts work.

· Registered
2018 Lifted 6-speed Crosstrek
2,440 Posts
I love my struts, but I left the prop in as a backup.

I also got a bolt in kit, so you dont have to drill/rivet them in place.

· Registered
XV Crosstrek 2014 Premium 2.0i 6MT
252 Posts
Some earlier Subaru models came from factory with hood struts and they are the same struts that we have on our hatch doors. Those can still open my hatch and hold it up at -20°C after 8+ years, and the hatch gets opened way more often than a hood.

I found a pair at the junkyard for 15$. If they get too old, they're easy to replace. If there is an emergency and it's very cold, there is probably a snow brush in the car that can help.

· Registered
2021 Limited OP 31
72 Posts
My 2011 Outback had hood struts and I missed having them once I got my Crosstrek. The Redline kit looks clean. I got the Rival 4x4 kit. It's around the same price as the Redline kit, but it doesn't require drilling and riveting. The sacrifice of the no-drill design is that they sit more in-board because of the location of existing holes in the hood.

Hood struts are a nice convenience to me when I am doing maintenance. I understand that struts will wear out eventually. I expect them to last as long as I have the car, but if they do fail I would just remove them and put the prop rod back on. My Outback's original hood struts were still working just fine at over 10 years old when we sold it. Although, the rear liftgate struts were weak and leaking fluid at 8 years old. It annoys me that Subaru ditched hood struts on the Outback and Forester a few years ago, but it's something that the majority of owners won't care about because they never open the hood. Car Wizard on YouTube has said many times that his customers never want to pay to replace failed hood struts because they only benefit the person working on the car.

Reactions: Cutlass

· Registered
'19 Crosstrek Limited, White Pearl
72 Posts
Love this! Granted, I have not needed it as yet, but will keep it in mind. Honestly, I love when I have to pop the hood on my '19 compared to the wifes '17 CRV. That hood is huge, yet only opens to about 45 deg. I so miss the days of my old '89 Jeep, where you could open it vertical! That said, I do wish that MFG's did things differently regarding this. Either longer hood support, or multiple connection points.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts