Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

Registered
Hello everyone,

First time poster here from Australia.

So, for several years I have been contemplating purchasing a Subaru XV. Now it's the end of 2019 and it is time.

I was hoping to get some advice/suggestions on what price I should expect to pay for the 2.0i-L variant. On the Subaru website (Australia) it is listed at $35,624 RRP. I have done quite a bit of research on what a fair discount is and most people agree that you should be able to get at least 10-15% off the RRP on a new car. So I crunched the numbers for 11.5% and ended up with a sale price of $31,500. Now I know XV's are popular so I was not expecting to get this price. I wanted it just above 10% so that I had some wiggle room during negotiations. As they say start low with your first price. I also want to get tinting and matts both at which should be around $700 RRP. So my final figure was to get everything for $32,000 (around 10% off the tinting and matts).

Anyway, I phone the dealership today. Before I discussed the extras with them I decided to get a price for the car first. They wanted me to start with the price. I said no, what is your best offer. They came back with $33,750 and basically laughed when I said $31,500. In fact the sales person said at that price she would be buying it. She said, Subaru's never go above 5% off the RRP. They didn't want to wiggle from that price.

So I hand it over to you folks. What is a good price for this car considering we are at the end of the year. I will be paying the car in cash as well. I don't believe that they can't go above 5%.

Thank you all.

Registered
2018 XV 2.0iS CVT in Dark Blue
Welcome!
Over 10 and up to 15% is pretty surprising. If you can get AUD$32,000 you'd be doing exceptionally well. Perhaps consider $33,500 if they throw in the mats and tinting? Beware they don't claw some $$$ back with an excessive dealer delivery charge. Shop around and be prepared to walk away (especially from the one that laughed :rolleyes:) but leave your phone number. We've had sales people run out behind us or phone later saying their manager wants them to get the deal done. Two of the dealerships then went into a bidding war and we got what we wanted. They seem keener to negotiate at the end of the month or the EOFY especially on floor stock or demos. Cash discounts don't sway dealers now because profit margins on new car sales are fairly modest (5% is not uncommon with high overheads). Also they can make more profit from their own finance packages and other add ons. With the release of next models delayed to early 2020 another option to get your price may be to wait until after the New Year when they need to make room?

Registered
Welcome!
Over 10 and up to 15% is pretty surprising. If you can get AUD$32,000 you'd be doing exceptionally well. Perhaps consider $33,500 if they throw in the mats and tinting? Beware they don't claw some $$$ back with an excessive dealer delivery charge. Shop around and be prepared to walk away (especially from the one that laughed :rolleyes:) but leave your phone number. We've had sales people run out behind us or phone later saying their manager wants them to get the deal done. Two of the dealerships then went into a bidding war and we got what we wanted. They seem keener to negotiate at the end of the month or the EOFY especially on floor stock or demos. Cash discounts don't sway dealers now because profit margins on new car sales are fairly modest (5% is not uncommon with high overheads). Also they can make more profit from their own finance packages and other add ons. With the release of next models delayed to early 2020 another option to get your price may be to wait until after the New Year when they need to make room?
Hi SubieSubieDo,

Thank you for that information! I appreciate your insights.

I will do some more shopping around at different dealers. I think maybe as you said 10 - 15% might be a big ask, so I think anything over $32k should be my next goal. I was thinking maybe $32,500 to $32,900 with tint and mats.

Do you have any tips for if the variant is in stock? The dealer I rung up said they had it in stock. I know this gives the buyer more edge because the dealership already owns the vehicle and hence has to sell it. I was thinking about after the new year if I can't get that price. I was sure that they would have been keen to negotiate given that it was the last day of the month, but alas they didn't. However, maybe in better news is that the actual dealership manager rung back an hour later begging me to come in for a chat, but he said $34k. I think I have them sweating a bit. I think I can do better than 5%. That's the goal. Fingers crossed a dealership wants to play ball! It's funny even after we told the salesperson that we had cash they still wanted me to get finance. l knew why they were doing this. Cheeky buggers!

Thanks again.

Registered
John Cadogan's video may provide some inspiration for you
We compromised and bought a demo in the end so we could get the S variant that was still within our budget.

Registered

Registered
Not disagreeing that toyota has a 20% stake... Disagreeing that the systems are toyotas. They aren't. They have the joint vehicle in the brz/86. That's it. Eyesight, etc is not toyota. in fact, even with the brz, it's mostly subaru.
Apologies for giving that impression. I was actually supporting your position with an article reporting that Toyota took the stake in FHI/Subaru ..."its smaller rival to better compete with overseas automakers to develop new technologies ...".

Registered
Hello everyone,

First time poster here from Australia.

So, for several years I have been contemplating purchasing a Subaru XV. Now it's the end of 2019 and it is time.

I was hoping to get some advice/suggestions on what price I should expect to pay for the 2.0i-L variant. On the Subaru website (Australia) it is listed at $35,624 RRP. I have done quite a bit of research on what a fair discount is and most people agree that you should be able to get at least 10-15% off the RRP on a new car. So I crunched the numbers for 11.5% and ended up with a sale price of $31,500. Now I know XV's are popular so I was not expecting to get this price. I wanted it just above 10% so that I had some wiggle room during negotiations. As they say start low with your first price. I also want to get tinting and matts both at which should be around $700 RRP. So my final figure was to get everything for $32,000 (around 10% off the tinting and matts).

Anyway, I phone the dealership today. Before I discussed the extras with them I decided to get a price for the car first. They wanted me to start with the price. I said no, what is your best offer. They came back with $33,750 and basically laughed when I said $31,500. In fact the sales person said at that price she would be buying it. She said, Subaru's never go above 5% off the RRP. They didn't want to wiggle from that price.

So I hand it over to you folks. What is a good price for this car considering we are at the end of the year. I will be paying the car in cash as well. I don't believe that they can't go above 5%.

Thank you all.
Hi Boronia

We bought an XV L last year for $32k in VIC (that was with tinting). End of FY rather than calendar year.

We found Autoexpert pretty useless with Subaru as most of the city dealers are under one umbrella company (Inchape) so there is no effective competition. In the end we sent a spec to 3 dealers one in the suburbs and two in regional VIC (Seymour and Mansfield). They landed with $300 of each other, we went with the dealer with the best attitude (2nd best price) in Mansfield. We had experience with the suburban dealer with my wifes old Forestor and found them pretty arrogant and dismissive. I beleive their service depts substantially overs services customers (timing belts 30K to soon, overselling fuel additives etc) so I ended up doing basic servicing myself with occasional help from a local workshop once the car had a few klms.

Buying for cash is no real advantage, it just means they dont get to sell you finance. Probably better to play them off against the opposition and mention looking at Konas and the like. They arent selling cars just like everyone else these days , I cant beleive you cant get some price movement. Questioning "dealer delivery" may a talking point. As you are bridging calendar years and the market is flat there are bound to be MY19 sales in early 2020.

Its funny I bought the L thinking all the eyesight stuff was going to be great. In the end we turned it all off and just use the adaptive cruise which is brilliant.

Registered
We compromised and bought a demo in the end so we could get the S variant that was still within our budget.
Thanks SubieDo. I've been watching John's video's. He definitely has some useful tips. I've been contemplating a demo as well so that I could get the S variant like yourself.

Hi Boronia

We bought an XV L last year for $32k in VIC (that was with tinting). End of FY rather than calendar year.

We found Autoexpert pretty useless with Subaru as most of the city dealers are under one umbrella company (Inchape) so there is no effective competition. In the end we sent a spec to 3 dealers one in the suburbs and two in regional VIC (Seymour and Mansfield). They landed with $300 of each other, we went with the dealer with the best attitude (2nd best price) in Mansfield. We had experience with the suburban dealer with my wifes old Forestor and found them pretty arrogant and dismissive. I beleive their service depts substantially overs services customers (timing belts 30K to soon, overselling fuel additives etc) so I ended up doing basic servicing myself with occasional help from a local workshop once the car had a few klms.

Buying for cash is no real advantage, it just means they dont get to sell you finance. Probably better to play them off against the opposition and mention looking at Konas and the like. They arent selling cars just like everyone else these days , I cant beleive you cant get some price movement. Questioning "dealer delivery" may a talking point. As you are bridging calendar years and the market is flat there are bound to be MY19 sales in early 2020.

Its funny I bought the L thinking all the eyesight stuff was going to be great. In the end we turned it all off and just use the adaptive cruise which is brilliant.
Hi Yarpos,

Thank you for that information. Definitely helpful. Very interesting that you managed to get it for 32K. May I ask did you do that under finance? I plan to call several dealerships on the weekend to see what price I can get. As SubieDo said, I might even wait until the new year when they have to sell the '19 models to make room for the '20 models.

I completely agree about not getting any price movement. I think this particular dealership might sell XV's a lot. Hence why I think they don't move the price much. I'm going to try a dealership where XV's aren't as popular in sales.

Was the eyesight stuff annoying?

Registered
Thanks SubieDo. I've been watching John's video's. He definitely has some useful tips. I've been contemplating a demo as well so that I could get the S variant like yourself.

Hi Yarpos,

Thank you for that information. Definitely helpful. Very interesting that you managed to get it for 32K. May I ask did you do that under finance? I plan to call several dealerships on the weekend to see what price I can get. As SubieDo said, I might even wait until the new year when they have to sell the '19 models to make room for the '20 models.

I completely agree about not getting any price movement. I think this particular dealership might sell XV's a lot. Hence why I think they don't move the price much. I'm going to try a dealership where XV's aren't as popular in sales.

Was the eyesight stuff annoying?
Hi

No we didnt use any finance.

The "features" of eyesight are a personal thing, it greatly depends on you personal driving style, the types of driving you do and how much help you want from the car. In the end beeping and steering wheel nudging became a pain. We drive mainly country roads and happily use all the road when there is no traffic about, also sometimes having to drive down the centre of narrow roads to avoid rough edges. Eyesight seems more tailored for droning along freeways to help if you arent paying enough attention. On the other side of the coin the adaptive cruise is very clever and teamed with the CVT handles hills pretty smoothly while still in cruise, especially when you consider its just a 2ltr NA car.

Registered
Hey Boronia. We looked for S models at dealerships on Carsales.com.au that were advertising demo models at lower prices. One dealership over 100 miles away had 2 S models. We took a punt and drove over to see the car. When we got there, the one we wanted to see was off the floor. It turned out one of the panels had been slightly damaged and was awaiting replacement. The salesman drove us to the Subaru repairers to inspect and test drive it. We were very happy with it. The dealership agreed to replace the damaged panel. Also, it was not clear in their ad that the government and delivery charges were included so we negotiated that the dealer also pay for those and signed a conditional contract that we had to be satisfied with the repair and stamp duty etc would be paid by the dealer.
Just over a week later we took delivery of a car that was in as new condition including tinting and the protection pack for 20% less than the MRSP. So if you're flexible and find a good dealership you could do well. The 2nd hand market price is still more than we paid for it and we're loving it.
The blind spot monitoring and heated leather seats (where we live can get very cold) are great. I do a lot of suburban and highway driving for work with many variable speed limits and police patrols in our region so the adaptive cruise control has been brilliant and really easy to use with 5km increments you can change just by flicking the Set/Resume switch up or down. The only feature I don't like is the Lane Keep Assist that nudges the car back to the centre of the lane if you sway about a bit much. It felt a little like being blown by a crosswind so I've turned that off. A Lane Departure Warning that flashes a message with an audible tone that can be used instead.
The Entertainment/Head Unit system works really well with the phone connected albeit a little slow to respond to the touch screen commands. The voice commands work very well. The 18 inch wheels and extra clearance has been great as there's a lot of gravel roads to lookouts etc in our area that have been fun to use X-Mode for.
The controls on the steering wheel tend to cover the windscreen wiper and driving light control stalks but the S has auto settings and rain sensors so the lights and wipers respond automatically if you keep them set to Auto and not really an issue.
My only advice would be, if you can, get a light color as the dark colours tend to attract heat and show dirt. I really enjoyed the walk through this US dealer does and the Ltd is the S here so it's pretty relevant re most of the features

41 - 52 of 52 Posts