Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

New member. Sorry if this is not the right subforum...

I'm going to the dealer in the next days to get a Crosstrek but, before I do, I'd like to get some input from you guys experts here.
If I go to subaru.com I see they have there the 2019 Crosstrek while they have 2020 models for the rest. We are looking for a Premium Crosstrek and as the 2020 comes with the EyeSight standard, if I'm not mistaken, for the automatic one, we would like to get one of those. But, not seeing it on the website makes me think that that car might not be ready yet? Anybody has an idea when, in reality, those 2020 models will be really in the dealers?
Do you think dealers are willing to get rid of 2019 models by including the EyeSight accessory for free?
How much below the sticker price can I push in this Subaru world? I'm new to Subaru. From previous cars (Honda, Toyota), we were able to go quite below sticker... but not sure with this brand.
Appreciate the help in order to prepare to the dealer visit,
Thanks,
Regards,
Fran

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
6,311 Posts
Hello,

New member. Sorry if this is not the right subforum...

I'm going to the dealer in the next days to get a Crosstrek but, before I do, I'd like to get some input from you guys experts here.
If I go to subaru.com I see they have there the 2019 Crosstrek while they have 2020 models for the rest. We are looking for a Premium Crosstrek and as the 2020 comes with the EyeSight standard, if I'm not mistaken, for the automatic one, we would like to get one of those. But, not seeing it on the website makes me think that that car might not be ready yet? Anybody has an idea when, in reality, those 2020 models will be really in the dealers?
Do you think dealers are willing to get rid of 2019 models by including the EyeSight accessory for free?
How much below the sticker price can I push in this Subaru world? I'm new to Subaru. From previous cars (Honda, Toyota), we were able to go quite below sticker... but not sure with this brand.
Appreciate the help in order to prepare to the dealer visit,
Thanks,
Regards,
Fran
I haven't seen any reports of the '20s being available yet which is rather odd. There have been quite a few recalls lately and maybe they are delaying the release until those are cleared up.
Depending on the dealer, you should be able to get close to $1K off dealer invoice. Lots of buying threads here that are worth reading before you take the plunge.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips.

2020 vs 2019... as they are giving the EyeSight standard now and the cost increase for standard premium between 2019 and 2020 is much lower than the cost of adding EyeSight to a 2019, we are just waiting for the 2020 to come out or for the dealer to give the EyeSight for free in a 2019 ;-)

Regards,
Fran

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
Also, bear in mind during your calculations that a '19 will be worth less when you come to sell it. Not really a factor if you keep it for ten years, though.

·
Registered
536 Posts
My local dealer only has one Crosstrek on the lot and that's a used '18 2.0i.They have over a dozen '20s shown as in transit so they will be available sometime soon.I would wait until the '20s arrive.If they have a '19 with the options you want,you will be able to get a better deal.If they don't have any '19s with the right options or you don't like the color then there will be a better selection when the '20s are delivered and you should then be able to get just the right one for you.

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Limited CVT
561 Posts
Depending on the dealer, you should be able to get close to $1K off dealer invoice. Lots of buying threads here that are worth reading before you take the plunge.
Just to clarify (in case the OP is not familiar with invoice vs sticker)...the invoice price is usually about $2K lower than sticker (MSRP) price. Most dealers will show you the invoice price if you ask. And if it were me I'd grab the 2019 and avoid that annoying "Auto Stop/Start" that is coming to the 2020s.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,

Last Summer we had a rental Peugeot in Europe for few weeks. It was a manual shift car, which we prefer in general. When we got to a red light the engine will turn off. Once we press the clutch pedal, the engine will kick in again . While at the beginning it felt weird, then we got used to it and it wasn't too bad

In an automatic Crosstrek I'm not sure how it will feel because you don't have any clutch pedal so it will kick in once you press the gas I guess.

We were looking at the beginning for a manual Crosstrek but the EyeSight features are very tempting to get as my wife will drive the car for more than 2 hours every day in a NY 2 lane in each way parkway with lots of accidents. So safety is important.

Thanks
Fran

·
Registered
561 Posts
Assuming that AS/S would restart the same way on the 2020 Crosstreks as on the CVT-equipped 2019 Foresters, the engine restarts when you take your foot off the brake or lighten up on brake pedal pressure.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
Assuming that AS/S would restart the same way on the 2020 Crosstreks as on the CVT-equipped 2019 Foresters, the engine restarts when you take your foot off the brake or lighten up on brake pedal pressure.
OK, so it's anticipating you're going to move. That would be a pain in traffic here on the LA freeways...

·
Registered
22 Posts
In an automatic Crosstrek I'm not sure how it will feel because you don't have any clutch pedal so it will kick in once you press the gas I guess.
It works via the brake pedal.. as you release pressure, the engine starts. But the Subaru Start/Stop is clunky, and not a smooth implementation at all, and I prefer to just keep it off.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Seems to me so long as one can turn AS/S off, even though it has to be turned off each time the vehicle is started, it’s not that big a deal. But still there has to be penalty for the extra complexity and weight.

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek
834 Posts
Good point. it's probably safe to assume they don't use the same starter system as non AS/S variants.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Seems to me so long as one can turn AS/S off, even though it has to be turned off each time the vehicle is started, it’s not that big a deal. But still there has to be penalty for the extra complexity and weight.
Yes, it is a very complex system as it's functionality is tied into many other systems. Pull up an on-line 2019 Forester owners manual and read about the dozen-or-so operational and non-operational conditions for AS/S.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Unless you can get a 2019 with Eyesight comparably priced to the 2020, I would recommend waiting until the 2020s are available. HOWEVER, when the 2020s do arrive, there will probably be less bargaining room than there will be later in the year. YMMV, etc., etc.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes, it is a very complex system as it's functionality is tied into many other systems. Pull up an on-line 2019 Forester owners manual and read about the dozen-or-so operational and non-operational conditions for AS/S.
Even for folks that don’t use AS/S I can picture it throwing a self-check malfunction code that would have to be addressed before Emissions Testing would “pass” the vehicle for license renewal. And complex systems have expensive repair issues.

·
Registered
2018 XV 2.0iS CVT in Dark Blue
46 Posts
We were looking at the beginning for a manual Crosstrek but the EyeSight features are very tempting to get as my wife will drive the car for more than 2 hours every day in a NY 2 lane in each way parkway with lots of accidents. So safety is important.

Thanks
Fran
I drive a similar commute. The EyeSight system offers so many features and comforts that I'm sure your wife will love it. I use the Adaptive Cruise Control almost all the time and enjoy it so much plus it's a lot less tiring. The Auto Stop/Start irritated me a little at first but with parkway/highway driving it's rare to come to a complete or 3 second stop so it doesn't kick in that much anyway.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts