Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

Brief wobble/shake when accelerating AND turning from a stop?

Model Years 2012 to 2017 
4K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  kcc 
#1 ·
So I wasn't sure what subforum to put this in, so I hope general is okay.

I recently had a 1.5" Primitive lift installed on my 2016 Crosstrek, and put on a set of 215/75/15 Grabber AT2's on Motegi MR139 wheels at the same time. Since then, I've noticed that occasionally I will experience a brief, slight wobble/shaking when accelerating from a stop while turning. Happens both turning left and right, and goes away within a second or two. I can't fully recall if it ever did this before the lift and tires were installed.

Is this just a symptom of the AWD (kinda like how a 4WD vehicle shakes on dry pavement?), or is this a bad CV axle or something else?

#2 ·
Wish I could give you a sure answer, but you've changed your vehicle pretty drastically.

I'd check your lift and make sure everything it torqued down properly.
I'd check your tire pressure to make sure it's not too low.
I'd check all your lugnuts and make sure everything is AOK.
Have an alignment done if you didn't.
Get it up on a lift and check all of your control arms and make sure nothing is loose/worn.
While it's on the lift tug on each wheel to see if there is any odd play that shouldn't be there.

As a test, you could also put your stock wheels and tires back on, and see if you have the same troubles. It might solve the issue, but it would help you narrow it down.

Good luck.

#3 ·
>I recently had a 1.5" Primitive lift installed on my 2016 Crosstrek, and put on a set of 215/75/15 Grabber AT2's on Motegi MR139 wheels at the same time. Since then, I've noticed that occasionally I will experience a brief, slight wobble/shaking when accelerating from a stop while turning<<
I troubleshoot for a living. I would suspect the mods

#4 ·
Double check that everything is put together properly...particularly the strut top bushings in the front. Slop there will present as a kind of wobble as the strut turns when you steer...If it's CV joints, it will be accompanied by a "clicking" sound.

I had a similar issue with my 2017 (2" primitive lift, 215/75-16 TKO-2's). It was actually the center differential viscous coupling failing. Not a tough repair, but pricey (north of $600 for parts and fluid). Took about 4 hours.

#6 ·
If yours is lifted, go to the Outback Gen5 forum here and search. There is at least one thread there where Bruceyyy and TraildogCK have identified and solved their shake/vibration problem.

If I remember correctly, it has to do with the isolator pad on the transmission or drive shaft (propeller shaft, as Subaru prefers to call it). Chris (Traildogck) makes the part that may solve your problem.