Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was informed that all the little micro particles in a new engine helps break in the engine. Though after 600 miles, I'll change my motor oil using Walmart brand 100% synthetic motor oil. I use Purolator one oil filter, it filters down to 5 micros.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
11,823 Posts
I was informed that all the little micro particles in a new engine helps break in the engine. Though after 600 miles, I'll change my motor oil using Walmart brand 100% synthetic motor oil. I use Purolator one oil filter, it filters down to 5 micros.
Informed by whom?

The first oil change is supposed to be at 6K or 6mo...

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
I have said this before. And I recommend that all follow the manual. As a mechanical engineer since 1969 who worked in maintenance. I follow what I know to be true. Todays engines need no breakin bc of the maching tolerances. 50 years ago maybe. The key is (possibly for new engines) to change rpms and load over a wide range. I redlined both my '18 Forester XT and '19 XV at around 100 miles. I contrinue to redline then maybe every 50 miles or ever 5 when I feel like it. The biggest enemy of a "new" engine is heat in the ring area. You won't get that on a couple second burst to redline or maybe an 8 second burst to redline on the XV.

Neither of my vehicles use any measurable oil. Below is a used oil analysis on my XV after an 8000 mile oil sample run.
But again..follow the manual not some internet troll like me.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
11,823 Posts
Thanks @adc - not much more to say there and thanks for posting the Blackstone results!

41 - 47 of 47 Posts