Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
614 Posts
The crosstrek takes 4.6 quarts of oil at 7.75 lbs/quart which is 35.6 pounds of motor oil per 3100 pound Crosstrek. It is a 1% savings in weight, thought not of volume. I'm not sure how much savings that will get over having someone at port or the dealer add oil to the engine.
I would believe 7.75 pounds per gallon- but I do not believe 7.75 pounds per quart!
Please check your data.

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
4,556 Posts
it’s that new liquid mercury motor oil that all the cool kids are using in their crossovers these days. ;)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Just don't pull the transmission plug when trying to drain engine oil. I read about that happening here and there.
Uh...I don’t know how one can mistake an oil pan plug for a tranny plug. Two totally different plugs in two totally different location. Yikes!

as for break in. I’ve mentioned this before...I had to drive some 700+ km to get our car. Break in was the drive back home. Speed varied maybe 10 -20 kmh but the only break in the drive was the ferry from North Sydney to Port aux Basque.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
11,822 Posts
Uh...I don’t know how one can mistake an oil pan plug for a tranny plug. Two totally different plugs in two totally different location. Yikes!
Yep, we've had a few posts about that here, and for every one who was brave enough to post about it and ask advice here there are probably ten more, LOL!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'd love to see an analysis from Blackstone comparing their "special" oil, and some other high end ones like Pennzoil Ultra Plat, and Amsoil. That is the only proof you will show, and nobody has shown it yet. Until Subaru, and Honda, or any auto maker releases actual data comparing oil analysis's, then it's not "settled". Some of the oils like I mentioned, have plenty of additives and I am willing to be a winning one million dollar lottery ticket they are no different than "special" break in oil. Like I said earlier, if they have anything "special", it's high moly concentrate. But since no one can prove it, I'll do what I want ;) lol. I am almost tempted to go to Subaru and ask for a sample of oil from a new Crosstrek and I'll send it in myself, and compare it with my oil.

·
Registered
167 Posts

as for break in. I’ve mentioned this before...I had to drive some 700+ km to get our car. Break in was the drive back home. Speed varied maybe 10 -20 kmh but the only break in the drive was the ferry from North Sydney to Port aux Basque.
Oh, but they did. I saw the post too. They asked how to replace the tranny fluid in the CVT because they drained it instead of oil. Not the first time I have seen that happen either. Or someone add to the wrong one, by trying to add oil through the tranny dipstick or vice versa. I have some seriously cringe mechanic stories. It's scary how many people are allowed to drive but don't maintain or know anything about their vehicles. Especially in states like mine, where no state inspection is required. I'll stop before I turn red and rant about rock chips and rusted stuff falling off on the highways, or worse, the tire that came flying at me last year and the drunk driver tried to keep going... yea. :mad:

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,822 Posts
I am almost tempted to go to Subaru and ask for a sample of oil from a new Crosstrek and I'll send it in myself, and compare it with my oil.
Great idea! Or anyone else here who is about to change the oil for the first time could do that. A proper comparison would be the factory oil versus what Subaru recommends/uses in the shop for the first change.

When I did a Blackstone test, the oil change was at the dealer. I gave them the kit and they returned it to me with the sample bottle full. Wasn't the first service, though.

Reactions: Montana Actual

·
Registered
167 Posts
Great idea! Or anyone else here who is about to change the oil for the first time could do that. A proper comparison would be the factory oil versus what Subaru recommends/uses in the shop for the first change.

When I did a Blackstone test, the oil change was at the dealer. I gave them the kit and they returned it to me with the sample bottle full. Wasn't the first service, though.
I'll see what they say tomorrow. I doubt they'd have a problem doing it. So exciting, lol. When was yours done? Do you know what oil it was?

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,822 Posts
I'll see what they say tomorrow. I doubt they'd have a problem doing it. So exciting, lol. When was yours done? Do you know what oil it was?
This was over a year since the previous change and only 3,300 miles, short trips to the grocery store, during the pandemic:

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
352 Posts
We can debate break in periods for weeks on end and never convince anyone from what they already believe. I am in the camp that you should always follow the manufacturers advice, but also understand that many do not.

I would wager that only 10-20% of people actually follow the break in recommendations. With the amount of old cars on the road, and people buying used cars all the time.....the data would probably show it really doesn't make much of a difference on modern vehicle motors if you broke it in or not. Let's also note that a manufacturer will not void your engine warranty if you don't, as the break in period is only "recommended" and not mandatory. (of course, if you abuse it.....then you may be out of luck).

More fascinating to me is that people will go on about this oil or that one, but put the cheapest oil filter they can find on the motor. :p "No way am I going to pay $10 - 20 for an oil filter....when I can get a cheaper one for $8!"

Yep, let's protect that $2500 motor with the cheapest filter you can find. 🤪

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,822 Posts
This ^^ 😸

·
Registered
167 Posts
lol so true.

It's also amazing the difference that short trips vs long trips will have. There are so many variables. I think the one thing I am curious though is additives. Another reason that just dawned on me there would be more lubrication on the first batch of oil, is the lube from putting a bunch of new parts together! Totally overlooked that until now. Some parts do call for a fair amount of white lithium grease and some would also benefit from a thicker oil when placing them together at the assembly line. I just wanna get to the bottom of this "special" oil thing that all these manufactuers are on about. Then I wonder if it's only "safe" to use it for the first batch? Who knows. I am happy to have a company like Blackstone tell me when there is excess metal though... that's what led me to the rebuild of my previous truck, and gave me some perspective on how important fluids really are. I guess if the first sample comes out a bit milky, then it should be pretty obvious something is different. Hopefully I can get some answers tomorrow. I do hate bringing my car in for services though, because I just want to ask "can I help?" lol. I know it's a liability though, but I do love it.

·
Banned
2021 Crosstrek Prem Manual
63 Posts
This is 2021. There are no metal flakes floating around a new engine. Maybe if it were a Ural motorcycle but its a modern Subaru. 6K oil change is fine.

·
Registered
2021 Base CVT Crosstrek
115 Posts
I would believe 7.75 pounds per gallon- but I do not believe 7.75 pounds per quart!
Please check your data.
LOL. You are correct. I used the value for a gallon. The correct calculations are:

4.6 quarts of oil at 2 lbs/quart = 9.2 lbs which is 0.2% of weight.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,822 Posts
LOL. You are correct. I used the value for a gallon. The correct calculations are:

4.6 quarts of oil at 2 lbs/quart = 9.2 lbs which is 0.2% of weight.
Yep, and you could edit the original post. Surprisingly, not everyone reads every post in a thread... 😸

Reactions: Kman

·
Registered
167 Posts
This is 2021. There are no metal flakes floating around a new engine. Maybe if it were a Ural motorcycle but its a modern Subaru. 6K oil change is fine.
I wonder what that stuff is on the magnets at the bottom of the pan then...

It doesn't matter what year it is. Where there is metal on metal and a lubrication is needed to SLOW wear, there will be metal particles. They might be microscopic, but they still exist.

Aaaaand, I forgot to bring my Blackstone bottles to Subaru today. lol. I should have done it from the first change, but they asked the mileage, I said 1,800 and they said cool. I said I know it's early and they said better early than late. All I wanted was their first service. Since they called me a couple days ago and offered a $25 gift card to come in and sit down to "answer any questions about the vehicle" I took that opportunity during their oil change. And I almost drove back home when I was three quarters the way there because that's when I remembered the Blackstone bottles I left sitting on the seat in the mudroom. But it's 35 miles away. I am pretty sad about it though. But since this is actually the 3rd change... O' well. I'll start monitoring at 3k.

I will bring it in to maintain the warranty and that's it. I did ask about oils and they said "nothing special". lol. It went pretty much exactly how I thought it would. Something gets circulated around online and it's not actually a thing, before you know it, the manufacturer releases TSB's because someone found moly contents in early tests and they acknowledge this as "special".

It's just a new engine. Change the oil when you want - at 500, again at 1,500, or wait until 3k, or wait until 4-6k... As long as you change the oil within the specs that 99% of manufactures recommend, you'll be just as fine as anyone else on the road - lol.

·
Registered
374 Posts
when it comes to comparing oil samples between new and used cars...here’s how to solve that problem. when your car is new do the first oil change and send that in and use it as a reference. Heck, back in Sept of 2018 I did an oil change on the outback and found sparkly bits in the oil. UH-OH...Bits of Metal In My Oil. I’m sure the oil sample at that time would have shown that things were a real mess. Still nothing I could do about it.
I never did anything about it because I figured there was really nothing I could do about it. After a couple of oil changes they just magically went away. 😉. Now, some 2 1/2 years later...engine still runs great...every day, almost 200km highway driving.

·
Registered
167 Posts
when it comes to comparing oil samples between new and used cars...here’s how to solve that problem. when your car is new do the first oil change and send that in and use it as a reference. Heck, back in Sept of 2018 I did an oil change on the outback and found sparkly bits in the oil. UH-OH...Bits of Metal In My Oil. I’m sure the oil sample at that time would have shown that things were a real mess. Still nothing I could do about it.
I never did anything about it because I figured there was really nothing I could do about it. After a couple of oil changes they just magically went away. 😉. Now, some 2 1/2 years later...engine still runs great...every day, almost 200km highway driving.
Yep. I did multiple samples on my old F-150 and found excessive and increasing amounts of Chromium. Piston rings. At first it was suspected top end parts but not even a $1500 rebuild of the top end solved it - although it did cure the lifter noise and give me some extra oil pressure with the new updated parts I put in. So I knew the inevitable was coming... knock. Cold starts were the most obvious piston slap noise I EVER heard. And when it started doing the plug chug only 40k after all that work was done - including plugs, boots, and cops - I knew it was a misfire from being too lean and causing piston slaps. 3 cylinders. It was baaaaaad.

Anyways, now I have a new subie ;) Really enjoying the boxster engine and can't wait to push the journey well beyond 150k with it ;) But I suspect I'll be in a new model before that happens and then we'll go from there ;)

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Sport Ice Silver Metallic
6 Posts
(Edited to correct values)

The Crosstrek takes 4.6 quarts of oil at 2 lbs/quart = 9.2 pounds of motor oil per 3200 pound Crosstrek. It is a 0.2% savings in weight, thought not of volume. I'm not sure how much savings that will get over having someone at port or the dealer add oil to the engine.
Your Crosstrek takes 4.6 Qts of oil or 4.7 Qts. because it is a 2.0 L.
Ironically the 2.5 L takes 4.4 Qts of oil.
In the 2021 Manuel:
Specifications/Specifications 12-5
– Changing the oil and oil filter:
2.0 L engine models: 4.7 US qt
(4.4 liters, 3.9 Imp qt)
2.5 L engine models: 4.4 US qt
(4.2 liters, 3.7 Imp qt)

I too believe in the changing of the Break-in oil at or around 1000 miles. I have been doing it for nearly 50 years. I just changed mine at 940.5 miles.
I use Castrol Edge 0w30.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts