Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 Crosstrek original owner. At 5 years of ownership in 2018 with only 1445 miles [don't drive much] had to replace front rotors, calipers and pads. stuff froze up here in the hinterland. This year started getting that judder feeling again from the front brakes after putting a whopping 1500 miles in 2 years. need to do an encore with the same parts. Wrench suggest a drive more and really hit the brakes. Sound legit ?

·
Registered
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
453 Posts
We once got a small stone in the caliper causing what felt like a warped rotor but a bit of a rattle as well. We were on dirt road in Death Valley. When I got to pavement I took off front wheels and in looking at driver's front a stone fell out of the caliper. Didn't see exactly where it was jammed and rotors looked evenly clean, pads fine. Wasn't sure that was the problem and I didn't carry calipers with me so I figured I'd warped the rotors on the downhill. After reassembling the rattle/wobble went away. Other than that I guess slamming on the brakes might expose/chase off a rock or something. Never heard of doing so though.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
384 Posts
Unless you have a dry garage, a car that sits a lot will age faster than a daily driver. You probably have premature rust in the undercarriage too.

·
Registered
108 Posts
We once got a small stone in the caliper causing what felt like a warped rotor but a bit of a rattle as well. We were on dirt road in Death Valley. When I got to pavement I took off front wheels and in looking at driver's front a stone fell out of the caliper. Didn't see exactly where it was jammed and rotors looked evenly clean, pads fine. Wasn't sure that was the problem and I didn't carry calipers with me so I figured I'd warped the rotors on the downhill. After reassembling the rattle/wobble went away. Other than that I guess slamming on the brakes might expose/chase off a rock or something. Never heard of doing so though.
Has the same problem when driving dirt roads. So far happened twice. First time I was worried and tried the hard breaking didn’t work for me. Took off wheel and found pebble lodged in there. Was fine after that.

second time wasn’t too worried. As it sounded the same. After I drove on paved roAd for a bit it fell off. Guess it depends on how it’s lodged.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts