Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Hybrid with 23000 miles. Recently the brake pedal has been getting hard to push on when starting the car. The brakes themselves seem to be just fine. The car starts up alright. It's the same feeling of the pedal as if you bled off the vacuum. Any thoughts out there? Thanks

·
Registered
424 Posts
Well, to start the car, there would be no vacuum, so...

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
457 Posts
Two things I would check. Open the brake fluid resevoir and look at the fluid. Is your brake fluid dark in color? If you scrap the inside with a screw driver (flat), is there any sludge on it when you take it out? If so, have the system flushed and fluid replaced.

Bad brake booster or hose. Check the hose from the master cylinder to the booster for cracks, leaks, etc. You can also start the engine and have someone press on the brake pedal. If you hear a hissing sound when they do it, the seal on the booster is bad.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Brake fluid was changed last year. But now that you mentioned it, there is a slight sort of hissing noise on the inside when I press on the pedal.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is true, but we always were able to press the pedal easily for starting. This has become an issue within the last few months. I'm beginning to believe the brake booster
is giving up.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
457 Posts
Bummer. I had to have the brake booster on my Honda replaced a year or so ago. I'd recommend you see your mechanic or the dealer to be sure. If it is the booster, and you cannot or do not want to do it yourself, you're looking at a $600-700 repair job.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yeah. I don't think I'd have a problem with replacing a booster. I just did rear struts on this thing myself that the dealer wanted $700 to do. I 'll talk to my friend mechanic to see what he thinks. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
703 Posts
T:
I'm pretty sure that a properly operating brake booster system normally holds a vacuum for several days.
Open your car door tomorrow morning, and before starting the engine, step on the brake pedal and it will feel 'normal' and depress halfway pretty easily. Press it a few more times and when the vacuum in the reservoir is used up the brake will feel very hard and will not depress easily.
I'm suspecting that the OP has a vacuum leak somewhere. BB diaphragm most likely.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
T:
I'm pretty sure that a properly operating brake booster system normally holds a vacuum for several days.
Open your car door tomorrow morning, and before starting the engine, step on the brake pedal and it will feel 'normal' and depress halfway pretty easily. Press it a few more times and when the vacuum in the reservoir is used up the brake will feel very hard and will not depress easily.
I'm suspecting that the OP has a vacuum leak somewhere. BB diaphragm most likely.
sas:
You are spot on . The pedal used to feel "normal" for several days. Right now it loses that feel after sitting anywhere from 15 to an hour. I'm going to check for vac leak this week. I'll report findings when I'm done. Thanks

·
Registered
424 Posts
T:
I will try that with my Submaru. I'll let you know what I get.

Reactions: kheran

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What was the outcome here? Just developed the same problem at 109K. Did fluid change.
I haven't had the pleasure of taking the car in yet. ($$$ issues) but I'm planning on the beginning of January. There's a further issue and it's probably related to the brake pedal thing and that is that I no longer get the "start/stop" or EV mode. It's not battery related as they have tested good.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPDATE.. It's been a long time since I started with this. The Gazoo is at our local dealer now as we speak. They will come back with a diagnoses of it sometime tomorrow. In the meantime I have a 2020 Crosstrek Premium with al the bells and whistles in it as a loaner car. I will say it's a very impressive machine.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And the answer is... Surprisingly there is "nothing" wrong with the vacuum system at this time. Yet I still have a hard to push pedal after the car sits awhile when I push to start. I'll keep going with it for a while and send it back in. They did tell me my restart battery is weak so that I'll deal with on my own.

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Plug-in Hybrid
544 Posts
And the answer is... Surprisingly there is "nothing" wrong with the vacuum system at this time. Yet I still have a hard to push pedal after the car sits awhile when I push to start. I'll keep going with it for a while and send it back in. They did tell me my restart battery is weak so that I'll deal with on my own.
My 2019 has done this a few times, but it's no big deal. It's kinda like if you push the brake pedal when the car is off, then later you go to start it and the pedal is stiff because you pushed it earlier and essentially primed it before the car was running.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My 2019 has done this a few times, but it's no big deal. It's kinda like if you push the brake pedal when the car is off, then later you go to start it and the pedal is stiff because you pushed it earlier and essentially primed it before the car was running.
The real point is the car had never been this way before. I could let it sit for a few days and still be able to press the pedal easily. We'll see..The vacuum reserve has to be leaking off somewhere.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts