Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the brake light switch recall done on a 2014 this summer. Now since the temperature has dropped to below freezing the brake lights are coming on in the middle of the night. I work late and when I return home I see the brake lights are on. I open the door and give the pedal a tap and they go off. This has happened every night that the temp drops into the 20's. This is eventually going to kill the battery or burn out the bulbs. I see that the switch is threaded on a nut so is it adjustable? Would take it to the dealer but the kid has it for college through the week and hard to get it there.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I had the brake light switch recall done on a 2014 this summer. Now since the temperature has dropped to below freezing the brake lights are coming on in the middle of the night. I work late and when I return home I see the brake lights are on. I open the door and give the pedal a tap and they go off. This has happened every night that the temp drops into the 20's. This is eventually going to kill the battery or burn out the bulbs. I see that the switch is threaded on a nut so is it adjustable? Would take it to the dealer but the kid has it for college through the week and hard to get it there.
I didn't know brake lights could come on without a key in the ignition!

I'm going to go play with my car now, see if it does that for me.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
296 Posts

So they do.

I've not been as diligent on light tests on my Subarus. In now wondering if this behaviour has been true for a while. I thought I needed the keys in to test reverse and brake, but maybe it's only reverse. The Vauxhalls, Pontiacs and Mazda I used to do this on are long gone, so I can't go and check.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have yet to do the recall on my 15, lights work and I don't use anything that would seep in the switch for cleaning. Being a manual tranny..maybe I will just test the lights occasionally and skip the recall for now...hummm

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well just got a call from the kid at college, the battery is dead. Not even a dome light will come on and thats with a brand new gold series battery. It has been cold since Sunday when she left and I knew that switch was going to cause an issue.
Called the dealer and they said yeah bring it in we have had some of the switches that need to be adjusted. So hopefully she can get it jump started and to the dealer or home.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've fiddled with brake switches on older cars. It's probably a fairly simple normally-open push button switch that when the pedal is depressed goes from pressed to released and closes a circuit. They normally have a thread so you can adjust the height of the actuator and therefore how far depressed the pedal had to be before the lamps come on.

I wonder if contraction in the cold is making a gap appear and hence the light comes on.

Good luck as it's a bummer to have a kid that needs car help when you're not around.

Cheers,
phaetn

·
Registered
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
864 Posts

Every vehicle I've seen, the brake lights would come on without the car being started.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Every vehicle I've seen, the brake lights would come on without the car being started.
I found a couple of forums where it seems some cars do, some don't, and it's not uniform in model yet to year or within a make either.

I still need the key for testing the reversing light though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts