Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I just bought a used 2017 Crosstrek Limited with 26.7k miles. I originally wanted a truck, but this AWD beauty with insane mpg sang to me and I fell in love.

I bought it at an off-lease dealership as it was the only Crosstrek around and I needed a new car desperately as my old one took a dump. I took it for a test drive and immediately the brakes felt spongy. I mentioned it to the agent and he told me their mechanic will take a look at it. Popped the hood when I got back and there was plenty of brake fluid. Mechanic flushed the system, saw no bubbles and added new fluid. He also says the rear pads are low and they will replace them at no cost, but something seems off.

I used to drive a 2010 VW sedan and the rear pads went before the fronts, at about 100k miles (also bought used with 30k miles, don't know if previous owner replaced any pads but my first replacement was around 60k miles I believe,) and it felt nowhere near as spongy as the Crosstrek's, only time it felt that spongy was after I replaced the rotors on the VW and I accidentally introduced some air into the system. Bled it and topped off the fluid and everything was perfect and crisp.

The brakes on the Crosstrek don't even start working till the pedal is depressed halfway. Thankfully my parents have loaned me their other car until the Crosstrek gets the new pads.

But do you guys think it's just the pads? Or is it something else?

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Prem Manual
30 Posts
The brakes on most Subarus are a low point. I'm in a 2021 and the brakes are rather weak. I had a 19 Accord 2.0T before this and it stopped on a dime.

·
Registered
387 Posts
coming from a VW/Audi the brakes on a Japanese car such as Subaru or Toyota will definitely feel different.

When I switch from my Trek to the wife's car there's definitely an adjustment period.

·
Registered
2021 CWP XV Ltd.
87 Posts
I think Toyotas and Subarus are known for their squishy braking. I just changed out my rotors and pads for my Toyota Landcruiser. Got some Centric Cryo rotors and StopTech 309-series Performance brake pads and it has made a huge difference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
coming from a VW/Audi the brakes on a Japanese car such as Subaru or Toyota will definitely feel different.

When I switch from my Trek to the wife's car there's definitely an adjustment period.
I understand what you're saying, and I was expecting it, but it's not that they feel "different" rather they feel like they're barely there at all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The brakes on most Subarus are a low point. I'm in a 2021 and the brakes are rather weak. I had a 19 Accord 2.0T before this and it stopped on a dime.
My parents are currently letting me drive their 2019 Accord Sport, that thing honestly impressed me. But I'll be damned if I don't feel powerful hauling *** in the Crosstrek down dirt roads ;)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Ok, if you want them spot on:
1) pressure bleed 1+ liter through the system of the factory DOT3 fluid. Make sure there is absolutely no air or old fluid in there.
2) replace all rotors and pads with factory parts(relatively inexpensive)
3) lubricate and clean the carriers and clean off the hubs properly(IE look like new)
I know the pad and rotors(all of them) might sound excessive, but if you want them perfect(IE immediate and instant, almost grabby) that is what it takes. The material in these newer gen pads really wears down rotors and their integrity. To the point where you loose pedal feel due to loss of material and balance(especially if rusted). The Crosstrek's brakes are not stellar by any means, but they get the job done.
Regards

1 - 8 of 8 Posts