Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its a 2014 XV Crosstrek 140k. Bought a rebuilt valve body off ebay from transmission shop in Ohio good seller feedback. Put the rebuilt valve body in, new tans filter, drained cycled in new fluid, topped off at temp (105) following subys procedure. Test drove the car around town and a little down the highway and back seemed to drive better and the problem was solved.... right? Next day wife takes it to town its about 30 min away and not long after getting there DING dash lights up and problem is back. I double check the fluid the next day and wipe the codes back out of the drive and make its about 20ft forward and the trans slips a bit and the problem is back.... My guess is I may have gotten a defective unit. Now I look back should have tested all the solenoids before installing it. Tomorrow I can test them from the gray plug on the trans cover I guess I have the pin out. Could these be cause by a bad torque converter or is that unlikely with these cars?

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
1,797 Posts

Reactions: Sarang

·
Registered
607 Posts
My guess is it's a bad solenoid. If you wanted to go the cheaper route and not buy the complete new valve body from Subaru, I'd of just ordered a new solenoid from Amazon or Ebay. No telling what you got when it was "Rebuilt". Changed mine out earlier in the year due to the same issue. Went with the complete new valve body because I figured the other solenoids wouldn't be far behind for possibly failing also. My understanding is that the dirty "Lifetime Fluid" cough, cough, causes wear in the solenoids which then causes them to fail.

There is a relearn procedure you are supposed to perform after this work. Don't think you'd see your codes back that fast though if you didn't do that.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Question regarding the relearn procedure.. I've seen it done via computer/device through the obd2.. Pretty quick that way.. But, is it possible to relearn without plugging it into a computer and executing the relearn command?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On other Suby forums and YouTube videos there's people that don't do the "relearn" and say its not really a thing. Supppse you could just yoir local Suby dealer and ask....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pulled the valve body back out and tested each solenoid directly and they're all within spec.... but when I test them either at the yellow plug on the valve body or the gray plug on the trans cover they're still all fine except the lockup solenoid drops from 12.8 to 3.2ohms. So now what bad ground bad wire somewhere...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts