Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
How is it that Subaru has been making cars for how many years and yet they are still recalling things like pcv valves and ignition coils. I love my car but it seems like it’s just going to become a money pit. I’d hate to see it go but I don’t want to be always dishing money out for it . Fustrated.
How is it that any car maker has been making cars for decades and still has recalls? They are machines and sometimes thing go south, are designed wrong (toyota floor mats), wear prematurely, get poor quality parts, have crappy workmanship...the list goes on. The fact that engineers can put thousands of parts together to run like they do on a car is amazing in and of itself.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
6,893 Posts
How is it that any car maker has been making cars for decades and still has recalls? They are machines and sometimes thing go south, are designed wrong (toyota floor mats), wear prematurely, get poor quality parts, have crappy workmanship...the list goes on. The fact that engineers can put thousands of parts together to run like they do on a car is amazing in and of itself.
This!

Someone complaining about a couple of recalls probably didn't own a Jaguar or Land Rover when they were being manufactured by British Leyland, or any number of US brands in the last few decades...

We bought an '18 Crosstrek because of the documented reliability (top of OAK's list) and then OAK's mom wanted one. After over two years, both cars have been totally reliable. Service visits and recalls have been easy for us because the local dealer is a few block away but there has not been an issue that couldn't wait until the next service, or when parts are available, or whatever.

I think some folks expect a new car to be perfect and whine when there's a recall. In fact, that means the process is working! 😸

·
Registered
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
228 Posts
Also as a retired teacher and librarian :) the X is also used as a symbol for Cross. So that part fits Crosstrek. And stretching a bit with V for victory or success, successfully crossing terrain. Do I get an A for effort?
You got an "A" for effort on "X" for "cross." Oh no...are we going to talk about what pronouns to use on the Crosstrek? I'd rather not. For a while all of our Oakland School District Librarians were retired...dismissed actually. It turns out that even a school district administrator can learn that you need things like books to teach reading, so some librarians have returned to work.

·
Registered
228 Posts
This!

Someone complaining about a couple of recalls probably didn't own a Jaguar or Land Rover when they were being manufactured by British Leyland, or any number of US brands in the last few decades...

We bought an '18 Crosstrek because of the documented reliability (top of OAK's list) and then OAK's mom wanted one. After over two years, both cars have been totally reliable. Service visits and recalls have been easy for us because the local dealer is a few block away but there has not been an issue that couldn't wait until the next service, or when parts are available, or whatever.

I think some folks expect a new car to be perfect and whine when there's a recall. In fact, that means the process is working! 😸
Don't even get started. Not old enough to remember Yugo are we? Anybody ever play soccer with a weather balloon and a Renault Dauphine? My Subaru has gone 19,000 miles without a hiccup. The recalls are a nuisance but haven't stranded me.

·
Registered
6,893 Posts
Don't even get started. Not old enough to remember Yugo are we? Anybody ever play soccer with a weather balloon and a Renault Dauphine? My Subaru has gone 19,000 miles without a hiccup. The recalls are a nuisance but haven't stranded me.
Yes, and I remember the Yugo jokes: Why does a Yugo have a heated rear window? To keep your hands warm while you're pushing it... 😸

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yes, and I remember the Yugo jokes: Why does a Yugo have a heated rear window? To keep your hands warm while you're pushing it... 😸
Owner: "I need a wiper blade for my Yugo"
Car Parts Worker: "Thow in $20 and its a deal."
I'll stop now as these belong elsewhere in the forum.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Just goes to show that you can lie as much as you like and people will still buy your cars...
Great commercial. They were telling the truth when they said "Dependability" was a Yugo's middle name. The Yugo's first name was "Zero" though. The owner's manual had the bus schedule printed on the last few pages, that was nice. Have to admit that the Yugo was a safe car in a front end collision and no passengers were ever injured as the tow truck took all the damage. I can't stop! Shoot me now!

·
Registered
116 Posts
This!

Someone complaining about a couple of recalls probably didn't own a Jaguar or Land Rover when they were being manufactured by British Leyland,
How about a Triumph TR6? It's 1977 and I'm driving late at night from Calgary Alberta to Lake Louise in the Canadian Rockies. The TR6 is only 3 yrs old but that doesn't stop Lucas the Prince of Darkness from striking. The dash & headlights start going dim as I watch the voltage meter slowly drop. Then they start brightening again! That doesn't last long and they start dropping again! And then back up. They never went out completely but it made the rest of the trip a little harrowing.

Good times!

·
Registered
6,893 Posts
Owner: "I need a wiper blade for my Yugo"
Car Parts Worker: "Thow in $20 and its a deal."
I'll stop now as these belong elsewhere in the forum.
This is the best kind of topic drift. 🙂
There are a bazillion threads here all discussing the same recalls so I don't think anyone will notice if we hijack just one of them... 😸

How do you triple the value of a Yugo? Fill up the gas tank.

How about a Triumph TR6? It's 1977 and I'm driving late at night from Calgary Alberta to Lake Louise in the Canadian Rockies. The TR6 is only 3 yrs old but that doesn't stop Lucas the Prince of Darkness from striking. The dash & headlights start going dim as I watch the voltage meter slowly drop. Then they start brightening again! That doesn't last long and they start dropping again! And then back up. They never went out completely but it made the rest of the trip a little harrowing.

Good times!
My first car was a Triumph Spitfire. Do you know why the British drink warm beer? Because Lucas makes all of the refrigerators.

·
Registered
228 Posts
There are a bazillion threads here all discussing the same recalls so I don't think anyone will notice if we hijack just one of them... 😸

My first car was a Triumph Spitfire. Do you know why the British drink warm beer? Because Lucas makes all of the refrigerators.
The head of Lucas Corp isn't called a CEO, why? His title there is "Prince of Darkness."

·
Registered
228 Posts
Sorry I missed previous "Prince of Darkness" comment earlier before double posting. My brain went Lucas for a minute.

·
Registered
228 Posts

This!

British Leyland was early in recognizing the importance of the "personal computer" but after a number of early prototypes they gave up on being early adopters. Turns out they got the computer going pretty well but couldn't get it to continuously leak oil ("leaking oil" at BL was called "marking your territory).

·
Registered
228 Posts

Good times!
Lucas, inventor of the intermittent windshield wiper. All Lucas switches had three positions: "Dim", "Flicker" and "Off." On the other hand Lucas created the very first anti-theft car engine immobilizer preventing many car thefts. I shouldn't be too harsh as I have a Lucas Pacemaker in my chest and its never given me any tro...........................

81 - 96 of 96 Posts