Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is it that Subaru has been making cars for how many years and yet they are still recalling things like pcv valves and ignition coils. I love my car but it seems like it’s just going to become a money pit. I’d hate to see it go but I don’t want to be always dishing money out for it . Fustrated.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,210 Posts
As far as I know, the recalls have been to do with third party components that Subaru doesn't manufacture. Think of all the brands with the Takata airbag recall (both of our previous cars had good reliability ratings and got those recalls, our Lexus and hour Honda, twice). A lot of other brands have a had recalls due to serious design or engineering problems or decisions. I'm irritated at how many times I've been to the dealer with ours in two years but Subaru does seem to be making an effort to fix issues promptly. Ours is in for the brake hoses today.

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
3,623 Posts
Something is afoot and I would contact corporate immediately. The whole point of recalls is to acknowledge that a mistake was made and that to rectify it at no cost to the customer.
I think the $1200 bill the OP mentions is for a scheduled service, not the recalls.

·
Registered
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
526 Posts
I think it is fair to judge the overall reliability of a car by including recalls. Recalls have brought my car into the dealer twice when I would not normally have gone there. It isn't the same as having a problem disable the car, but still a minor inconvenience. It seems to me that if Subaru wants to get parts from other companies it is still Subaru's problem. It didn't help when the Subaru described the brake hose recall as being "cosmetic" or whatever. Brake hoses are serious things. Subaru, of late, hasn't been building confidence in this owner's opinion.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,210 Posts
It didn't help when the Subaru described the brake hose recall as being "cosmetic" or whatever. Brake hoses are serious things. Subaru, of late, hasn't been building confidence in this owner's opinion.
I'll agree with that part - a swelling brake hose being "cosmetic"... ?

I don't see the $1,200 you cited. CAD must be in freefall... ?

·
Registered
142 Posts
And since it is the D service it's not due until 100,000 kilometers or 5 years. Plenty of time to find a good independent service place that will charge you way less than $1,200!

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek Premium, Sunshine Orange
233 Posts
An unusually high number of recalls may mean an unusually high number of defects in vehicles, or it may mean that the manufacturer is more diligent in identifying defects or is more willing than other manufacturers to initiate a recall for what is actually an extremely rare issue.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,210 Posts
An unusually high number of recalls may mean an unusually high number of defects in vehicles, or it may mean that the manufacturer is more diligent in identifying defects or is more willing than other manufacturers to initiate a recall for what is actually an extremely rare issue.
I think he's around the 100K Km mark. I'd be looking for an independent mechanic as the warranty is long gone at that point.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have an 18’ and I just rolled 101k.... it’s the daily commuter car. With that said, dealers must be able to set their own pricing.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts