Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Subaru Fujitsu Ten Navigation Head Unit doesn't recognize my voice!

Is anyone else having this problem? I had a MY12 Impreza Sport LTD without Navigation, and although a pain to set up phone book (had to do it with voice tagging) it worked, because it recognized my voice tags.

However, now with my XV Navigation Head Unit whereas it loads my entire Android phone book, the software's inability to read/recognize the entries is daunting...:( Nonetheless, a pain in the butt!

It does recognize the "coined phrases", as per the manual such as: cancel, navigation, handsfree, history, etc. All the one's pre- programmed.

However, the ones whereas the language software of our units are suppose to read and match our entries, does not. Example: Call Diana: Call Brian comes up, do it again and Call Sharon comes up, and so on... It randomly gives me selections from my phone book.

Please Subaru give us a software update for our Head Units, love the car but in this day and age of elctronic advancements this is terrible, and yet an easy fix from Fujitsu Ten Eclipse - if you are reading these forums please assist.

To my fellow forum members, are you experiecing these problems too??? If so, please call your respective Subaru distributor and report it, so it is on file. Example mine is SOA - Subaru of America.

Additionally, has anyone found any work arounds for the Nav head unit? I already have my speed dial entries set and that works. It just does NOT work if the unit is required to read (match up anything).

Thanks all, still loving the XV...:)

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have the same problem....I get "that command cannot be completed at this time!". I have found thought that if someone has called me on the handsfree phone first, then the phone connect does work!
Really? Just two of us with voice recognition issues?

I really haven't had the command can not be completed in this instance.

But, I continue to get errors all over the place in it recognizing the name that I say...:confused: That tells me as it has to be the Language Software (mine American English) software in the system.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

· Registered
1 Posts
My wife just bought a 2012 Outback with an Eclipse system and I have to say that voice recognition is ZERO. I have not had any response from the system other than "please repeat." Given what Apple have done with Siri I think this is an epic fail. The voice recognition algorithm must be at least 10 years old. Very disappointed.

· Registered
349 Posts
I have the same problems, you're not alone. Like enigma, mine works pretty well if somebody has called me and I try to use voice commands but otherwise it sux. It's also extremely frustrating that I can only call people that are in the recent call history on the actual phone through the HU but not anybody else in my phones address book or have the ability to dial a number unless the car is stopped and in Park.

· Registered
2 Posts
Same issue with mine. My 2011 WRX wasn't great but the xv to date has never responded to my voice commands correctly. I have been wondering if the unit is listening for another language instead of English. As mentioned it does respond to the default commands but that's all.

· Super Moderator Emeritus
3,550 Posts
Mine works really well now, but initially I was having problems. First Subaru cleaned the sd card and the area around the sd card. And then eventually they replaced my sd card with a new one, and that fixed all the problems completely.

I do get a laugh out of how my car pronounces certain words, even 'call home' gets translated to ' call HOM' hehe..
Im in Australia and I do love the way the voice of my XV is the exact same voice of Siri on my iPad :)
Do other countries have the same voice for both too??

· Registered
59 Posts
Not just the phone but the nav to. It is the one thing I do not like about the car. Having said that I didn't want it either. It seems like it would be nice if it worked, but it doesn't. "Please say a command" ok Shut ..... Up!

· Registered
3 Posts
Hi DebsXV
Have you had any problems with connecting phone to bluetooth. I cannot maintain a working connection between the new Galaxy Note 3 and XV.

PS I had to tell all my friends when I saw your car that you aren't me. :) Same name.

I have only just started using the voice commands and mine seems to work well. I just wish I could hit the button and it automatically understand I want to give it commands, not have to say Phone or Handsfree.

· Super Moderator Emeritus
3,550 Posts
Hi DebsXV
Have you had any problems with connecting phone to bluetooth. I cannot maintain a working connection between the new Galaxy Note 3 and XV.

PS I had to tell all my friends when I saw your car that you aren't me. :) Same name.

I have only just started using the voice commands and mine seems to work well. I just wish I could hit the button and it automatically understand I want to give it commands, not have to say Phone or Handsfree.
LOL wow..you saw my XV?!?
And you're a forum member so close to me...love that!
What a small world.
And same name too! Next time you see me in Bunbury stop me and say hello :)
That would be great.
Have you got an orange XV too? Did you get it from Bunbury Subaru?

As for Bluetooth and phones, when I had a little cheapy samsung galaxy I didn't have any problems with connection. My only problems with first setting that phone up was that I had no idea how android worked. But once I got that bit sorted it was easy. (I didn't realise that I had to swipe down from the top of the phone and 'accept' the sat nav in the notifications area of the phone.)

But now we have 2 iPhones, my 5c and my husbands 5s.
It was easy to pair them with the phone, but at one stage I was messing around with both iPhones in the vehicle and I think I got the sat nav totally confused. And it started playing up and not working properly. It was getting contacts mixed up.
So I got the manual out and went right into settings and disconnected every device that had ever been recognised by the sat nav...and wiped the lot. Then I reconnected just my iphone5c and it's now back to working properly.

The only thing my sat nav doesn't do,like some other windows and android phones can do, is read out messages.
But I can easily just talk to Siri via Bluetooth and she can read me messages and respond to them for me while I'm driving.

· Registered
3 Posts
Yep, got mine at Bunbury Subaru. I see they have a GREEN one out the front at the moment. I really had a good giggle when I saw your number plate. I will keep my eye out for you. ;)

I love the car, it serves me very well. Just this bluetooth issue is driving me nuts. I have gotten used to the motor shutting off at lights etc.

I refuse to get an iPhone being a serious android/Samsung fan. I will keep googling and looking in forums until I get an answer. Currently I have put my sim card back into my Galaxy Note 1 that has had a factory reset and will test that driving around tonight to see if the connection sticks. Maybe it is my phone. Who knows.

Cya Round

Debbie.

· Registered
3 Posts
Problem solved. I did a factory reset on my phone again and this time I did not install anything on the phone from the backup and then tried it with the car.

Worked fabulously. So there must have been some problem with the old phone (Galaxy Note 1) and when I ported all my info, apps etc across I brought the problem with it.

My tip, if resetting your phone to clear a problem of any kind, test it without reinstalling ANYTHING.

· Registered
1 Posts
Subaru Fujitsu Ten Navigation Head Unit doesn't recognize my voice! Is anyone else having this problem? I had a MY12 Impreza Sport LTD without Navigation, and although a pain to set up phone book (had to do it with voice tagging) it worked, because it recognized my voice tags. However, now with my XV Navigation Head Unit whereas it loads my entire Android phone book, the software's inability to read/recognize the entries is daunting...:( Nonetheless, a pain in the butt! It does recognize the "coined phrases", as per the manual such as: cancel, navigation, handsfree, history, etc. All the one's pre- programmed. However, the ones whereas the language software of our units are suppose to read and match our entries, does not. Example: Call Diana: Call Brian comes up, do it again and Call Sharon comes up, and so on... It randomly gives me selections from my phone book. Please Subaru give us a software update for our Head Units, love the car but in this day and age of elctronic advancements this is terrible, and yet an easy fix from Fujitsu Ten Eclipse - if you are reading these forums please assist. To my fellow forum members, are you experiecing these problems too??? If so, please call your respective Subaru distributor and report it, so it is on file. Example mine is SOA - Subaru of America. Additionally, has anyone found any work arounds for the Nav head unit? I already have my speed dial entries set and that works. It just does NOT work if the unit is required to read (match up anything). Thanks all, still loving the XV...:)
Agreed! It’s atrocious! What’s the point in these safety features if we can use them?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts